SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian 2011-2012 NHL season discussion thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191956)

Nicko999 Apr 11, 2012 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberguy (Post 5661665)
Oilers are going to be scary group.

I disagree... no defense and average goaltending.

Eberle is awesome, the best player on the Oilers.
Hall is injury prone unless he changes his style.
Nugent-Hopkins already had 2 shoulders injuries last year. Needs to add muscle.
Yakupov (if they keep their pick) has had several injuries as well in the last year.

They are great players but there are no Crosby/Malkin.

They won't make the playoffs next year.

vegeta_skyline Apr 11, 2012 2:43 AM

:previous: +1

Nicko999 Apr 11, 2012 2:46 AM

Haha Grigorenko... good to see the kid is aware of what's happening in MTL.:P

http://i42.tinypic.com/34gpxkx.png
http://twitter.com/#!/wtfpineapple/s.../photo/1/large

Boreal Apr 11, 2012 4:03 AM

I think Grigorenko would be an excellent pick for the Habs, but Columbus has to be over thinking things if they pass on Grigorenko to take Ryan Murray. Some of the best defensemen in the NHL don't come out of the lottery, and Murray is certainly not a transcendent specimen that you take instead of selecting a super skilled big pivot for. Plus, with Rick Nash on his way out, Columbus needs to sell tickets, and Murray does not sell tickets or offer up the kind of hope for the future that Grigorenko does.

It will be interesting to see how far down Morgan Reilly slips as a result of the injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk go 1,2,3.

MrOilers Apr 11, 2012 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 5661851)
I disagree... no defense and average goaltending.

Eberle is awesome, the best player on the Oilers.
Hall is injury prone unless he changes his style.
Nugent-Hopkins already had 2 shoulders injuries last year. Needs to add muscle.
Yakupov (if they keep their pick) has had several injuries as well in the last year.

They are great players but there are no Crosby/Malkin.

They won't make the playoffs next year.

That's funny. You slam these Oilers players because they got some injuries, yet you glow about made-of-glass Markov like he's the greatest player in the NHL.

MrOilers Apr 11, 2012 3:02 PM

I also am LOL-ing at all the idiots out there (whom I suspect are sour Habs and Leafs supporters) who claim that the draft lottery is rigged.

freeweed Apr 11, 2012 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 5662281)
I also am LOL-ing at all the idiots out there (whom I suspect are sour Habs and Leafs supporters) who claim that the draft lottery is rigged.

ROFL. I haven't heard those conspiracy theories yet. Yes, the NHL is rigging the draft lottery in favour of a small-market Canadian team that it almost let move a while back, at the expense of its 2 signature Canadian franchises and a poorly thought out and poorly attended expansion franchise that represents all that is wrong with their expansion plans over the past 15 years.

:jester:

Coldrsx Apr 11, 2012 5:46 PM

Columbus Draft Party, awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BFrjVx4B9X8

Nicko999 Apr 11, 2012 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 5662281)

I haven't heard anyone say that.:sly:

Nicko999 Apr 11, 2012 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 5662204)
That's funny. You slam these Oilers players because they got some injuries, yet you glow about made-of-glass Markov like he's the greatest player in the NHL.

Wow... Oilers fans are mad.:haha: But I don't blame them... being known as the worst team of all-time (sharing the honor with the Nords) isn't too easy.

I only stated the truth while adding that they "are great players".
Markov do have a knee made of glass and it's one of the reason we finished so low. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's a great D-man when playing. The same thing applies for the Oilers youngsters as well, they are great players if healthy.

feepa Apr 11, 2012 11:13 PM

worst team of all-time? I know the Oilers have finished low for a couple of years... How about the leafs who haven't made the playoffs since the lockout, or won a cup since there was more than 6 times in the league?

Calgarian Apr 11, 2012 11:25 PM

The Washington Capitals had the worst team of all time in 1974-75, 8-67-5 record for a whopping 21 points!

Xelebes Apr 12, 2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 5662784)
Wow... Oilers fans are mad.:haha: But I don't blame them... being known as the worst team of all-time (sharing the honor with the Nords) isn't too easy.

I only stated the truth while adding that they "are great players".
Markov do have a knee made of glass and it's one of the reason we finished so low. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's a great D-man when playing. The same thing applies for the Oilers youngsters as well, they are great players if healthy.

Worst team of all time was the Washington Capitals in the 1970s before they landed Rod Langway and Mike Gartner, not speaking of the Dawson City Nuggets.

Ayreonaut Apr 12, 2012 5:44 AM

The Oilers are a pretty good "worst team of all time". They're actually pretty fun to watch lose (and I don't just mean that because I cheer against them).

Nicko999 Apr 12, 2012 6:14 AM

By "worst team of all-time", I mean for a period of 3-4 years.

Just like the late 70's Habs and the mid 80's Oilers were the best teams ever.

We have never seen a team so low for such a long period of time (excluding the Nordiques), at least not in the modern era.

feepa Apr 12, 2012 1:27 PM

Columbus?

Xelebes Apr 12, 2012 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 5663419)
By "worst team of all-time", I mean for a period of 3-4 years.

Just like the late 70's Habs and the mid 80's Oilers were the best teams ever.

We have never seen a team so low for such a long period of time (excluding the Nordiques), at least not in the modern era.

The Washington Capitals fit the bill.

1974-1975: 8-67-5 (21)
1975-1976: 11-59-10 (32)
1976-1977: 16-55-9 (41)
1977-1978: 17-49-14 (48)

feepa Apr 12, 2012 4:34 PM

the seasons over. Not much point in keeping this thread open with the playoff thread now ...