SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Comcast Technology Center | 1,121 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209240)

joemustardo Jun 9, 2015 7:16 PM

Also, on city data under the Philadelphia 2035 thread, people are saying that CITC new height is 1145 ft. Is this true? According to the person's company company, yes. The lantern at the top has been extended, and the building will be 60 stories not 59.

PhilliesPhan Jun 9, 2015 7:17 PM

There is a poster over on the Philadelphia section of City-Data claiming that, according to his company, CITC will actually be 1145'. He said that the lantern top will be extended and that CITC will be 60 stories rather than 59. He has a lot of posts and reputation points, so I don't think he's a troll.

Zapatan Jun 9, 2015 7:25 PM

So we could see a ~930' main roof if accurate, nice.

Plokoon11 Jun 9, 2015 7:40 PM

1145' allows to to knock over Aon Center in Chicago, which is at 1135'. Great news!

Cro Burnham Jun 9, 2015 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plokoon11 (Post 7056309)
1145' allows to to knock over Aon Center in Chicago, which is at 1135'. Great news!

Not singling you out Plokoon - I know you are not really wound up in this stuff, but others are . . .

But I'm one of those purists who disregards silly things like pinnacles as cheating. Placed next to CITC, John Hancock and Aon are "taller" in everyway but in the arbitrary technical terms of the Intl Skyscraper Council or whatever that silly organization is called. Any lay person comparing JH or Aon to CITC would agree the former are taller, that ridiculous Council be damned.

But if an extra floor pushes the mechanical enclosure over 1000' from an incredibly annoying 995', that works for me. We can legitimately claim to have a 1000'+ building in this city.

But let's save ourselves from enbarrassing ourselves in front of the Chicagoans: unless the mechanical structure exceeds Hancock or Aon, those buildings simply beat CITC. Give Chicago its due. Its 70s behemoths still dominate North America.

And Phillyheads who argue otherwise just come across as insecure in that Philly kind of way, so it's just better to accept reality.

chris08876 Jun 9, 2015 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plokoon11 (Post 7056309)

:cheers:

Competition amongst cities is good.

Plokoon11 Jun 9, 2015 9:19 PM

Phillynet webcam changed position to the top of the core!

Zapatan Jun 9, 2015 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7056523)

Well, it only beats AON with a spire, and that itself is the third tallest tower in Chicago, soon to be 4th.

Philly is my hometown but it's laughable to compare it to Chi town when it comes to skyscrapers. The city is definitely going in the right direction though, I remember the days when building higher than Liberty place seemed like a dream. :cheers:

Cro Burnham Jun 9, 2015 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7056523)

Cmon, Philly doesn't compete (yet) w Chicago in terms of skyscrapers. Someday, maybe. Not yet.

chris08876 Jun 9, 2015 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7056544)
The city is definitely going in the right direction though, I remember the days when building higher than Liberty place seemed like a dream. :cheers:

I agree. I like to see every city get its fair share of the supertall love. If Toad Suck, Arkansas (real place btw) wants to eclipse 1WTC for the title, hell, I'm for it.

What we are seeing this decade is the resurgence of the U.S. in the supertall game. Now we just have to get Seattle onboard with that potential supertall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cro Burnham (Post 7056545)
Cmon, Philly doesn't compete (yet) w Chicago in terms of skyscrapers. Someday, maybe. Not yet.

Its my constitutional duty to have pride for NYC and Philly as I equidistant from them. :D

Plokoon11 Jun 9, 2015 9:34 PM

Honestly I think CITC's spire is bulky, and works well, instead of just a skinny needle. If that were the case I would of been disappointed with the design, the way it steps up works well. With Whilshire Grand I'm not a fan of that spire, however the rest of the tower works very well, and looks great. But anyhow, just had to throw a few cents.

Jawnadelphia Jun 9, 2015 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemustardo (Post 7056276)
Also, on city data under the Philadelphia 2035 thread, people are saying that CITC new height is 1145 ft. Is this true? According to the person's company company, yes. The lantern at the top has been extended, and the building will be 60 stories not 59.

I'll believe it when it's official.

The exhibits and all public info still has CITC at 1121 feet.

Isn't Foster in town for a talk at UPenn tonight ...? Someone should just ask him... duh.

PhillyMan1776 Jun 10, 2015 3:04 AM

I think the whole tower is "Bulky", It makes City Hall look small.

I don't like the first Comcast Center it is too way too bulky.

The New Tower has a better design then the Old Comcast Center.

FiggyOlive Jun 10, 2015 3:14 AM

Norman Foster Talk

See my post in 'The Development Thread IX' about the Norman Foster talk. Not much interest from me on CITC. That horse has been beaten. I submitted a question about today's news about B.I.G. redoing World Trade Center #2, but it was not a selected question.

He did a great overview of the design for the Mexico City Airport which may go down as his best work ever. It is simply stunning.

apetrella802 Jun 10, 2015 5:01 AM

foster talk

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiggyOlive (Post 7057031)
See my post in 'The Development Thread IX' about the Norman Foster talk. Not much interest from me on CITC. That horse has been beaten. I submitted a question about today's news about B.I.G. redoing World Trade Center #2, but it was not a selected question.

He did a great overview of the design for the Mexico City Airport which may go down as his best work ever. It is simply stunning.

I thought he was visionary and poetic, he is so completely original in his designs, the Apple HQ and CITC are like no buildings that exist anywhere. He showed how he was influenced by an early Kahn design for an office building when he designed a recent building in NY. I always thought that early Kahn skyscraper (c. 1960) would be a timeless piece of modernism if built. It's shown in E. Bacon's "Design of Cities".

phillyheights Jun 10, 2015 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cro Burnham (Post 7056545)

Negadelphian much?

thisisforreal Jun 10, 2015 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyheights (Post 7057411)
Negadelphian much?

I would say he's stating a fact, really. If you kept score:

http://i.imgur.com/GX3DBUN.png

You could argue it's 19-6 just looking at the top 25, and a whopping 90-10 if you look at the top 100. And if you want to argue aesthetics, the consensus is that Chicago has Philadelphia beat there, too.

Cro Burnham Jun 10, 2015 7:32 PM

But i never said anuthing about which city was better (which is an idiotic conversation to start with) . . . only that in terms of size/height, CITC can't really compare with Aon out Hancock. Decorative lanterns notwithstanding, they win hands down.

summersm343 Jun 10, 2015 9:06 PM

This is not a city vs. city thread. This is a thread concerning the development of the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center. All posts related to Chicago will be deleted.

gw04 Jun 10, 2015 9:51 PM

Appears to be the same crane type used during Comcast Center construction. See photo near bottom left of gallery on the following web page: http://www.cornellcraneandsteel.com/...gantry-cranes/

http://i.imgur.com/FYp2puo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SxG3EeQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AOkvZZq.jpg