SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   City Compilations (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   PITTSBURGH | Development Rundown II (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=196266)

Minivan Werner Feb 16, 2012 11:59 PM

I do think that a couple all glass 5-7 story condos in place of those bland U shaped buildings would be a lot more appealing for such prime river front property.

Those buildings in particular need SOME changes at least, they look like junior highs.

MattofSloppyVariety Feb 17, 2012 1:52 AM

The thing that comes to my mind while looking at those designs is how many complaints there are going to be about the clubs/bars along Smallman once the residential part is done. (probably sound a lot like how the South Side is being handled)

AaronPGH Feb 17, 2012 3:13 AM

I just wrote an email to Buncher with my thoughts and some suggestions. Is there some way to start talking with city officials as well? Who would be the right person to contact on that side of things?

chiaroscuro Feb 17, 2012 3:19 AM

Out of curiosity, can you reveal what you said in the email?

markson33 Feb 17, 2012 3:24 AM

I don't think you will get nearly as many complaints from the developments in the Strip as you get on the South Side. The conflict on the south side stems from the fact that there are so many different factions and socio-economic groups trying to live together. There are a lot of elderly and old school Pittsburghers on the South Side that don't mix with the urban yuppies and college students.

BrianTH Feb 17, 2012 4:47 AM

I actually prefer the Strip renderings to those Ernst & Young renderings (I like the first one in Cleveland better).

By the way, my suburb growing up was not filled with block-size apartment buildings.

TBone7281 Feb 17, 2012 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Private Dick (Post 5593274)
As BrianTH pointed out above, I agree with him and understand the developer has the ownership and the money and therefore has the prerogative to build what they deem most beneficial to them (meaning most bang for their buck -- which usually results in crap in most cities)... but that doesn't mean we should be happy and accept what we're getting.

I never said I was happy about it, I said it was better than 5 continuous blocks of asphalt. Taking what we are getting rather than ranting about what I "wish" they'd do is just being realistic from my perspective. While we're at it, I also wish downtown would get a 1000 footer with an outdoor observation deck on the roof. ;)

I'm content to leave the "what a terrible use of space" comments to you and others but don't misunderstand my perspective. :haha:

Austinlee Feb 17, 2012 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronPGH (Post 5594022)
I just wrote an email to Buncher with my thoughts and some suggestions. Is there some way to start talking with city officials as well? Who would be the right person to contact on that side of things?

I hope you suggested new development blocks full of bath houses/afterhour joints. :cool:

Wiz Khalifa Feb 17, 2012 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minivan Werner (Post 5593798)
Those buildings in particular need SOME changes at least, they look like junior highs.

That's what I was thinking... those designs really need to be changed now.

AaronPGH Feb 17, 2012 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiaroscuro (Post 5594030)
Out of curiosity, can you reveal what you said in the email?

I ended up saving the draft and not sending. Still working on it. I'll post once it's done. I wanted to round up a few better examples of developments elsewhere to attach so that it wasn't just criticism. The basic gist of it is "You have an opportunity to take one of the most prime pieces of land in Pittsburgh and make your mark. What kind of mark do you want this to be?"

AaronPGH Feb 17, 2012 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Pride (Post 5594469)
I hope you suggested new development blocks full of bath houses/afterhour joints. :cool:

Duh. ;)

Urbana Feb 17, 2012 10:12 PM

In my e-mail I mainly just talked about the surface parking and how potential buyers and patrons will find the area more appealing if it was built in a more urban style.

Minivan Werner Feb 18, 2012 7:12 PM

I was browsing some other city comp threads and came across this condo development in Denver:

http://www.denverinfill.com/images/r...049_corum3.jpg

I think this is more in line with what I'd expect in the strip riverfront area.. Although we'd probably have to concede a few floors in height and perhaps some density. Otherwise, it's a nice mix of brick & glass.. It'd compliment a historic area well without trying to mimic it.

Topher51 Feb 18, 2012 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlantaguy (Post 5593647)
The ONLY tower in Midtown/Downtown Atlanta that even remotely resembles what you descibe is the BOA tower with it's large plaza. Vertical office parks my ass - sounds like you have never set foot in Atlanta with this drivel.

Sensitive, huh?

I have been to Atlanta dozens of times. The towers north of where 75 bisects town are pretty spread out. Downtown is dense, but midtown is has many plazas and small buildings surrounding the towers. It isn't like Buckhead (or Tyson's Corner outside of DC), but it's not nearly as dense as Pittsburgh.

glowrock Feb 19, 2012 4:12 PM

Alas, this Denver development proposal was put on hold a few years ago... :( I agree, I think a design like this would work wonders for the Strip District, but I'm not exactly against what Buncher's plans currently are for their property, either.

We all have to remember that this is a broad proposal, and I'm not sure that any of those renderings is anything more than a conceptual model. None of us really know what truly could end up there, I think those were closer to massing renderings than "the real thing"...

Aaron (Glowrock)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Minivan Werner (Post 5596132)
I was browsing some other city comp threads and came across this condo development in Denver:

http://www.denverinfill.com/images/r...049_corum3.jpg

I think this is more in line with what I'd expect in the strip riverfront area.. Although we'd probably have to concede a few floors in height and perhaps some density. Otherwise, it's a nice mix of brick & glass.. It'd compliment a historic area well without trying to mimic it.


Juicedog1313 Feb 19, 2012 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markson33 (Post 5594033)
There are a lot of elderly and old school Pittsburghers on the South Side that don't mix with the urban yuppies and college students.


Fun Fact of the Day

The word "yuppie" is a shortened way to refer to a "Y.oung U.rban P.rofessional".

Your statement is a bit redundant... methinks.:)
OK. I'm done nitpicking.

Jonboy1983 Feb 19, 2012 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicedog1313 (Post 5596891)
Fun Fact of the Day

The word "yuppie" is a shortened way to refer to a "Y.oung U.rban P.rofessional".

I guess I'm a "yuppie" then. :)

That Denver project is sick. I guess it's not just a Pittsburgh thing were all these awesome developments get shelved or axed. I'm working on my own rendition of the Strip proposal courtesy of sketchup; I'm taking some ideas (the wide "boulevard" that is an extension of 17th Street, the partially demolished Produce Terminal), but I'm going a little bit more dense and architecturally distinctive with the other buildings. ;-)

Dale Feb 20, 2012 2:54 AM

LOL at you Pittsburghers. No, can't say that I begrudge your wanting more. But Cleveland and Denver have nothing, repeat: NOTHING as spectacular as the Tower at PNC.

Jonboy1983 Feb 20, 2012 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 5597408)
LOL at you Pittsburghers. No, can't say that I begrudge your wanting more. But Cleveland and Denver have nothing, repeat: NOTHING as spectacular as the Tower at PNC.

Well, you got a point... ;)

Minivan Werner Feb 20, 2012 4:13 AM

Well, I suppose if those condos in Denver are shelved then we can take it off their hands and build it in the Strip. Wouldn't want those renderings to go to waste.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.