SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   NEW ORLEANS | Project/Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100363)

dgpatel Dec 8, 2011 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzen (Post 5508887)
Since this is a "forum to report & discuss highrise & other urban developments occurring in your city", I wanted to mention something that will be debated over the coming new year.

Growing up in the Westbank, we paid tolls regularly. I personally don't mind paying them if they were used to benefit me, or at the very least the majority of the people that pay the tolls. Unfortunately, the majority of the toll revenue goes into subsidizing the ferries, which are very expensive to operate/maintain, and in my opinion it is very inefficient. (I'm trying to locate an article that has numbers to back me up on this).

Buckett mentioned above that peds can use the ferry to cross without having to own a car -- while this is great for reducing cars in the CBD, those peds get to ride for free. Aside from that, according to a recent Times Picayune, "The ferries cost $9 million a year to operate but generate just $250,000 in passenger fees". LINK

The CCC was paid off over 10 years ago, but the tolls continued in order to support Westbank road construction projects (additional ramps on/off the expressway, expansion of Peters Rd, and other minor projects). These projects benefit a greater share of the Westbank residents (read: toll payers), rather than the ferries eat up the majority of the toll revenue, yet only benefit a small percentage of the population in Algiers and Old Gretna.

IceCream Dec 8, 2011 4:57 PM

Bridge Tolls

I'm a big fan of paying only for what you use. In this case, I don't use the CCC except for like once every 6 months, so I pay my toll and go about my business. Point being that the CCC is a very expensive, specific, bridge serving a specialized need (crossing a major navigation channel). If I choose to live, work, and play on the East Bank then why should my gasoline taxes go towards subsidizing this specialized bridge that I don't use.

You can see that I'm a big fan of privatizing gov't owned roads...i know this is still state owned but it's the better of two evils. I hate when the gov't (state, fed or local) wastes millions of dollars building roads to nowhere or repaving hundreds of miles of interestate through the desert that only a few specific people or companies use. Those people who choose to live there or do business there should bear the costs. Obviously, a little used toll-road would have a higher cost since the costs to build and maintain it can't be spread across thousands or millions of users.

That would contain urban sprawl. Imagine a $40 toll to use some of these far flung "roads to nowhere" with the possible exception of farm equipment...gotta make food!

Foley Santamaria Dec 8, 2011 6:57 PM

Exactly Ice Cream.

Keep the tolls and the ferries. If the bridge goes in to the general state maintenance fund it will be a disaster... state ain't funding anything.

Blitzen Dec 8, 2011 8:20 PM

Tulane Stadium

This rendering was just posted on Tulane's website. I like the look, but it seems smashed in there between the buildings. They should have centered it behind the Reilly center for a little extra money. They will regret this current decision when they go to expand it in 10 years. Seems penny wise, pound foolish.

I see there's also a small parking garage fronting Claiborne Ave.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6...b49a4419_b.jpg

ardecila Dec 8, 2011 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. (Post 5509187)
I always knew the English Turn area as "Lower Coast Algiers". English turn was originally planned to be two identical communities on either side of English Turn Pkwy. The neighborhood has been around more than 20 years now and is not even close to filling the one half of the project that actually materialized. There is a very small subdivision on the other side of the parkway now- "The Arbors". Not sure who owns it, but the point is that most of that tract is privately owned. Lots of houses on acreage in the rest- you'll even see cows along Patterson (River. Rd)- and then the ACRES site takes up a lot of space. There really just isn't that much room over there and it would be tough to build infrastructure with a giant planned community already smack-dab in the middle of the space.

Couple things: both English Turn Country Club and The Arbors are build-to-suit developments. Lots of homebuyers are turned off by this lengthy, expensive, and complex process. In the case of the Country Club, I think lots of people don't want to pay membership fees either - not everyone golfs.

I'm looking for middle-class housing developments with a moderate density comparable to the rest of Algiers across the canal.

The houses along Patterson could remain, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to purchase the back half of these lots, which are only ~100 feet wide but nearly a mile long. The houses are usually in the front part.

Development guidelines would be set up sorta like The Woodlands in Texas to maximize the amount of existing trees left in place.

Blitzen Dec 8, 2011 9:59 PM

Tulane Stadium Video

Wow, they aren't playing around:

http://http://www.sportsnola.com/spo...r-stadium.html

http://tulanestadium.com/

http://http://www.facebook.com/pages...679619?sk=wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfI_n...layer_embedded" target="_blank">Video Link

Chris from N.O. Dec 8, 2011 10:56 PM

Nitpicking, but what will they do for tennis?

Chris from N.O. Dec 8, 2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5509559)
Couple things: both English Turn Country Club and The Arbors are build-to-suit developments. Lots of homebuyers are turned off by this lengthy, expensive, and complex process. In the case of the Country Club, I think lots of people don't want to pay membership fees either - not everyone golfs.

I'm looking for middle-class housing developments with a moderate density comparable to the rest of Algiers across the canal.

The houses along Patterson could remain, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to purchase the back half of these lots, which are only ~100 feet wide but nearly a mile long. The houses are usually in the front part.

Development guidelines would be set up sorta like The Woodlands in Texas to maximize the amount of existing trees left in place.

I think the membership fees are around 25k a year. Whatever they are, they aren't cheap.

Chris from N.O. Dec 8, 2011 11:03 PM

Also, reading the comments on nola.com, somebody mentioned Oschner buying the hospital. I have heard from one of the employee there that is off the table.

cameron70115 Dec 9, 2011 12:46 AM

Tulane alum '03 here. I think the stadium is gorgeous! This is a football town in a football state, regardless of whether Tulane has a great history of football. Facts here are that Tulane football will provide a "minor league baseball"-type, family-friendly, inexpensive, low-key experience for all fans of football in the region. Plus the stadium will be used for high school games, thereby drastically upgrading high school football in the region. Tremendous! I go to no Tulane games in an average year, occasionally one or two. With this stadium, I'll go at least 2 or 3 times. What a great excuse to be on campus! This should also be a good thing for the business strip on Calhoun Street. That's a really great little strip, by the way, that deserves some love and appreciation.
Regarding the shoe-horning of the stadium? I'm just glad they fit it in somehow!

ardecila Dec 9, 2011 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameron70115 (Post 5509897)
What a great excuse to be on campus! This should also be a good thing for the business strip on Calhoun Street. That's a really great little strip, by the way, that deserves some love and appreciation!

Okay, this does it. If they build the stadium and don't put in a fucking traffic signal and crosswalk on Claiborne, I'm gonna start putting out cones myself across all six lanes.

I've personally seen pedestrians and cyclists get hit by ignorant, stupid, reckless drivers. On numerous occasions. And I only go over there once a week. This is ridiculous.

ardecila Dec 9, 2011 2:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. (Post 5509754)
Nitpicking, but what will they do for tennis?

In the interim, tennis will go to the new courts at City Park. In the long-term, they may move back to campus somewhere.

It would be neat to have a tennis level on the top of the new Claiborne garage, but that's just my idea.

Uptowner Dec 9, 2011 5:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5510026)
It would be neat to have a tennis level on the top of the new Claiborne garage, but that's just my idea.

Awesome. :yes:

Blitzen Dec 9, 2011 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5510021)
Okay, this does it. If they build the stadium and don't put in a fucking traffic signal and crosswalk on Claiborne, I'm gonna start putting out cones myself across all six lanes.

Agreed. There needs to be a crosswalk to that stripmall across Claiborne from the campus. The students living on campus would benefit, and the stripmall would benefit - hopefully enough for that hideous complex to be redone and have at least a small fresh grocery store. It would definitely benefit from game-day foot traffic too.

annie himself Dec 9, 2011 7:58 AM

So if high scchool games will be held here will the high school state championship games be played in Tulane stadium now?

NOLAmike Dec 9, 2011 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria (Post 5509416)
Exactly Ice Cream.

Keep the tolls and the ferries. If the bridge goes in to the general state maintenance fund it will be a disaster... state ain't funding anything.

Sorry for the late response, I've been MIA the last couple of days. I agree about the state, the Louisiana DOTD is pressed for money and although a lot of money does go to the ferry, the revenues are generated by people who actually use the infrastructure in the area. I understand if you want to cut the ferry, but I think in the long term if the state picks up the tab you're just going to screw someone somewhere else due to lack of funding.

I also want to mention that I'm also pretty stoked about the Tulane stadium even though I'm an LSU alum

Blitzen Dec 9, 2011 5:33 PM

Hotel LaSalle

Looks like the old Hotel LaSalle connected to the Saenger might be converted to apartments, possibly mixed income. I'm all for more residental along Canal Street. I could see artists and students living there.

The Housing Finance Agency has to approve the bonds at their Dec 14 meeting, but it's not on the agenda - not a great sign. At least something is happening with the property. :frog:

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...n-tax-credits/

tennis1400 Dec 10, 2011 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzen (Post 5510646)
Looks like the old Hotel LaSalle connected to the Saenger might be converted to apartments, possibly mixed income. I'm all for more residental along Canal Street. I could see artists and students living there.

The Housing Finance Agency has to approve the bonds at their Dec 14 meeting, but it's not on the agenda - not a great sign. At least something is happening with the property. :frog:

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...n-tax-credits/

My father is on the LHFA board. Ill ask him what his thoughts are on it!

ardecila Dec 10, 2011 8:06 PM

^ Well that's convenient.

When I spoke with the guys from Domain, they said LHFA is really new and inexperienced when it comes to the kind of mixed-income developments that have become popular in bigger cities. It seems like they're getting better, though.

Chris from N.O. Dec 10, 2011 11:51 PM

Does anybody know anything more about the planned demolition of Grand Palace? I know y'all had discussed meeting at Handsome Willy's to watch it, but I was there yesterday and it's really only a little more than one block-length from the hotel, doubt they'll allow it to be open when they finally get around to blowing up that eyesore.