SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atlantic Provinces (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124750)

MonctonRad Apr 26, 2024 1:13 PM

Moncton building permits reach $56M in first quarter
City says building permits for first quarter of 2024 are double that of last year
Author of the article:Brunswick News
Published Apr 26, 2024 • 1 minute read
https://tj.news/city-hall/moncton-bu...-first-quarter (paywall)

The first quarter is usually the quietest time of the year for building permits, so this may auger well for the remainder of the year.

The most interesting project named in the article was for a "$14.7-million warehouse construction by Greystone Energy Systems on Desbrisay Avenue." They are busy prepping a large lot in the MID West Industrial Park right now, so this must be what it is for.

new kid in town Apr 26, 2024 1:20 PM

:previous:

Glad to hear especially since it felt so quiet relative to all the Saint John updates (i.e., Fundy Quay and NB musée)

MonctonRad Apr 26, 2024 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new kid in town (Post 10193254)
:previous:

Glad to hear especially since it felt so quiet relative to all the Saint John updates (i.e., Fundy Quay and NB musée)

The Moncton equivalent to these two particular projects are Ashford/Downing and the new ASEC. They are finally digging at the ASEC, but, Ashford/Downing remains deadly quiet.........

Monctoncore Apr 26, 2024 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 10193264)
The Moncton equivalent to these two particular projects are Ashford/Downing and the new ASEC. They are finally digging at the ASEC, but, Ashford/Downing remains deadly quiet.........

Right? It just seems to weird that they have been planning this for must be 3 years now and seems like they just stay dead silent on everything.

jonny golden Apr 26, 2024 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monctoncore (Post 10193435)
Right? It just seems to weird that they have been planning this for must be 3 years now and seems like they just stay dead silent on everything.

I believe the issue with the Ashford project(s) is the underground services. If I'm not mistaken, they're going to start the work on the Assomption land this year. It's given Ashford a lot of time to prepare, so let's hope that they start phase one next year.

Meanwhile they keep busy constructing new apartment buildings.

Here's the CBC story from last year: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...is%20installed.

Monctoncore Apr 26, 2024 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny golden (Post 10193441)
I believe the issue with the Ashford project(s) is the underground services. If I'm not mistaken, they're going to start the work on the Assomption land this year. It's given Ashford a lot of time to prepare, so let's hope that they start phase one next year.

Meanwhile they keep busy constructing new apartment buildings.

Here's the CBC story from last year: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...is%20installed.

Oh that’s understandable. It more the lack of designs etc. being shared.

sailor734 Apr 26, 2024 5:59 PM

Anytime you are dependent on multiple levels of government doing something before a project can take place things move with glacial slowness.

Just look at the history of Fundy Quay in Saint John......"in the works"and talked about by governments for over a decade.

Even the redesign of Loyalist Plaza and the Market Square boardwalk. What private enterprise could have done in a season the city will have taken 2 full years and part of a third to accomplish.

Until you have dealt with them it's hard to fathom just how slow governments can move

jonny golden Apr 26, 2024 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monctoncore (Post 10193466)
Oh that’s understandable. It more the lack of designs etc. being shared.

That CBC story said that Ashford might release information this spring -2024.

Quote: "Ashford has not yet announced its plans for the area, though Dixon told reporters its first phase will include a mixed-use building near Downing Street. He said a formal announcement could take place this spring."

Again, I'm really hoping for an inspiring project - a real game changer.

Photo1 May 1, 2024 3:33 PM

Does anyone know what is being done to Alexander Park (between Reade & Jones)...they've completely torn our the Tennis Court this week so far (which is heavily used in summer).

Nashe May 1, 2024 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo1 (Post 10196412)
Does anyone know what is being done to Alexander Park (between Reade & Jones)...they've completely torn our the Tennis Court this week so far (which is heavily used in summer).

Facebook post here.

or this link

Photo1 May 1, 2024 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashe (Post 10196418)
Facebook post here.

or this link

Thanks for the info...whoa they are taking out the full Basketball Court...I know a ton of people that aren't going to like that! That court is used, a lot (I live nearby there and pass it often).

"Multi-sport Court" so tennis and pickle ball I'm assuming...all the tennis peeps that use this court aren't going to be happy about the impending invasion of picklers. Looks like they are turning the court too from North/South to East/West.

I do like the addition of all the trees, and the re-routing of the pass through path, although the trees could make seeing walkers more difficult.

Definitely interesting changes.

I had added an image but it was WAY too big for here, lol

MonctonGoldenTri May 2, 2024 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo1 (Post 10196432)
Thanks for the info...whoa they are taking out the full Basketball Court...I know a ton of people that aren't going to like that! That court is used, a lot (I live nearby there and pass it often).

"Multi-sport Court" so tennis and pickle ball I'm assuming...all the tennis peeps that use this court aren't going to be happy about the impending invasion of picklers. Looks like they are turning the court too from North/South to East/West.

I do like the addition of all the trees, and the re-routing of the pass through path, although the trees could make seeing walkers more difficult.

Definitely interesting changes.

I had added an image but it was WAY too big for here, lol

I live nearby as well, I think it's a HUGE mistake to downsize the basketball court and tennis in favor of picketball. I know picketball is trendy with the boomer generation at the moment, but they're essentially kicking out all the youth out of the park. When I completed the survey I suggested they double the basketball court and add a mini soccer field(fenced in) like you see in most major cities.

MonctonRad May 7, 2024 11:36 AM

Moncton has a new degree granting institution:

Moncton college launches three-year nursing program
Oulton College will be the first college in the province to offer a degree program
Author of the article: Payge Woodard
Published May 06, 2024 • 2 minute read
https://tj.news/moncton-miramichi/mo...ursing-program (paywall)

AverageMonctonEnjoyr May 7, 2024 3:41 PM

Couldn't have said any better myself

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri (Post 10197292)
I live nearby as well, I think it's a HUGE mistake to downsize the basketball court and tennis in favor of picketball. I know picketball is trendy with the boomer generation at the moment, but they're essentially kicking out all the youth out of the park. When I completed the survey I suggested they double the basketball court and add a mini soccer field(fenced in) like you see in most major cities.

I also live nearby to that park, and being a teenager myself I would often play basketball with other neighbourhood youths at this court during the summer or on weekends. For 5 years I was always hoping they'd fix the court ( uneven asphalt and crooked hoops ) so we could enjoy basketball there more..... but no
The city decided to REMOVE the basketball court entirely ( only one hoop isn't a court for me ). We used to have loads of fun there, playing huge games with teams of 10 vs 10 and what I envision now with this new plan for the park is it just becoming overrun by drug users. what a sad day for me and the other basketball enthusiasts in the neighbourhood ( quite many of us ).

Monctoncore May 8, 2024 12:41 AM

Delete

new kid in town May 8, 2024 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 10199961)
Moncton has a new degree granting institution:

Moncton college launches three-year nursing program
Oulton College will be the first college in the province to offer a degree program
Author of the article: Payge Woodard
Published May 06, 2024 • 2 minute read
https://tj.news/moncton-miramichi/mo...ursing-program (paywall)

There's already stiff competition in the Moncton Hospital for student placements, and new applicants are already being told there are no new positions. Would be a shame if future grads can't find work. Perhaps in the community settings and long-term care facilities.

The new obstetric wing should create more positions but we shall see. :hmmm:

sailor734 May 8, 2024 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new kid in town (Post 10200711)
There's already stiff competition in the Moncton Hospital for student placements, and new applicants are already being told there are no new positions. Would be a shame if future grads can't find work. Perhaps in the community settings and long-term care facilities.

The new obstetric wing should create more positions but we shall see. :hmmm:

Sorry but I'm not clear. Are you saying there are not jobs for newly graduated RN's or that there is a shortage of spaces for student nurses to do clinical placements?

MonctonRad May 8, 2024 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor734 (Post 10200821)
Sorry but I'm not clear. Are you saying there are not jobs for newly graduated RN's or that there is a shortage of spaces for student nurses to do clinical placements?

I'm pretty sure he/she means a lack of student placements. This will be the third degree based nursing program in Moncton (UdeM, UNB-M and Oulton College).

I'm sure this situation can be addressed with some imagination. The lack of hospital based clinical instructors is the main issue. This will also be a HUGE issue with the new UPEI medical schools too. Charlottetown is a small city for a medical school, and, the QE2 Hospital has fewer staff and resources than any of the four big hospitals in NB (TMH, GDH, SJRH and Chalmers). It takes a lotta planning to get things right. You can't just wave a magic wand and "poof" automatically get a full fledged medical or nursing school.

SevenSquared May 8, 2024 3:37 PM

Canada Games Council have announced a joint bid from Moncton and Saint John for the 2029 Canada Summer Games.

MonctonRad May 8, 2024 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenSquared (Post 10200863)
Canada Games Council have announced a joint bid from Moncton and Saint John for the 2029 Canada Summer Games.

It will be a Canada Games on the cheap then. They will use existing venues as much as possible with little new construction. Swimming and diving in SJ and track & field in Moncton.

I am not against being cost conscious in hosting the Canada Games. It's just that this would have been a golden opportunity for Moncton to get an aquatic facility of it's own.