SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   Calgary Food, coffee, etc. (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140013)

RWin Nov 16, 2007 3:50 AM

I don't think it was liqueur but then I didn't have it either. Maybe it was.

They also had $7 a bottle water. Maybe thats what they make the coffee with.

poopysheep Nov 16, 2007 4:04 AM

could the cupcake supplier be Buttercreme Bakery... they have a location on 17th ( in the old Decadent Deserts location across from TD ) and in the farmers market....

Boris2k7 Nov 16, 2007 4:15 AM

Today I had the unfortunate experience of consuming some of New York Fries' poutine. I honestly wasn't expecting much, just curious and all. I mean it was only around $4.35

And, well...

*sigh* :help:

srperrycgy Nov 16, 2007 4:19 AM

:previous: If I have the craving for poutine, that's the one I'll get.

Boris2k7 Nov 16, 2007 4:24 AM

It's just that... after having the real thing, all else seems pitiful and shallow.

I really need to get out to one of those places in Marda Loop that was talked about in this thread already. Or maybe Brava Bistro for that lobster poutine.

SteveP Nov 18, 2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopysheep (Post 3170753)
could the cupcake supplier be Buttercreme Bakery... they have a location on 17th ( in the old Decadent Deserts location across from TD ) and in the farmers market....

I thought Cakeworks did all their own baking. Either way, the cupcakes at cakeworkd are really good. As an alternate to a large cake you can get several designer cupcakes...some really cool ones too.

giallo Nov 18, 2007 4:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris2k7 (Post 3170784)
Today I had the unfortunate experience of consuming some of New York Fries' poutine. I honestly wasn't expecting much, just curious and all. I mean it was only around $4.35

And, well...

*sigh* :help:

I've never had a problem with NY Fries' poutine. It's definitely not the best there is, but fills the poutine gap nicely if there isn't anywhere else around to get it. Then again, I can eat a McDonald's double cheeseburger and enjoy it, so a food slummer I am.

jeffwhit Nov 18, 2007 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giallo (Post 3174724)
I've never had a problem with NY Fries' poutine. It's definitely not the best there is, but fills the poutine gap nicely if there isn't anywhere else around to get it. Then again, I can eat a McDonald's double cheeseburger and enjoy it, so a food slummer I am.

If you're looking for decent poutine in the general downtown area, I'll strongly recommend Burger Inn on 18th Ave and 4th st SW. The poutine is comparable with the much loved Alberta King of Subs, and frankly better than anywhere in Quebec I've been.

Surrealplaces Nov 18, 2007 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreddog (Post 3169666)
Never been to the one in Houston, but have twice tried the one (Fogo) in Scottsdale and wasn't that impressed in either the food quality nor the service. For Scottsdale Rio Sabor is the place to go. As for Bolero, I would rate the food almost as good as Rio Sabor (but I was only there shortly after opening, so it may have improved) and the service was also pretty top notch.

The thing that spoiled it for me was the large cold buffet and watching all the "blue hairs" walk by and grab a hand full of recently frozen shrimp to stuff down their gullet. Perhaps its a holdover from when shrimp used to be expensive, but why does a certain generation feel that they must load up on these things right out of the buffet! (I was hoping that they would enjoy a "Go" experience from downing all that crap"!)

Actually, upon reflection, that is something I didn't like about Bolero - the huge cold buffet. Again, perhaps its a local cultural thing, but the whole point of the restaurant is the many varieties of "meat on a stick".

I thought the Fogo's in Houston was outstanding. The service was excellent as was the food. Being a chain, of course those things can very from location to location.

I tried Bolero, and was reasonably impressed. I thought the meats at Fogo's were a bit better... maybe a little bit juicier and fresher, but overall the meats at Bolero were quite tasty.

What's noticeably different is the service. The service at Fogo's was far more responsive, although the slower service at Bolero actually allowed me to eat me the meal at a nicer slower pace. Bolero, is $35 as opposed to $45 at Fogo's so all in all a good place to check out. I'll go back to Bolero again.

Big Sky Nov 18, 2007 8:16 PM

I went to the Fogo de Chao's in Dallas and was really impressed. That's the only time I've tried Brazilian barbecue, but i'll be trying it again when i get a chance. I know there are some in the bay area. Glad to hear Calgary has some too.

Innersoul1 Nov 18, 2007 9:52 PM

Vintage Fund charity Auction

Being the son in law of a provincial politician has afforded me the opportunity to go to a number of events that I normally wouldn't be able to go to. Once such event that I attended last evening was the Willow Park Liquor Store's Vintange Fund Charity Auction http://www.willowparkwines.com/vintagefund.htm

Just to set things up, they clear the whole floor of the Willow park store (in Willow Park) and decorate extravagantly. They have representatives from numerous elite wineries from around the world (Australia, France, South America, Canada, USA, Italy etc.), twenty wineries in total. In addition to this they invite the executive chefs from Calgary's premiere restaurants to prepare appetizers and finger food to pair with the wines. Some of the eateries represented: The hotel Arts, Le Chaumiere, Redwater, Hyatt, Catch, Calgary Stampede, Ranchmans, Ranahans, Belgo just to name a few.

Let me say that the food was AMAZING!!! This is the type of food that leaves a lasting memory. Seriously, no expense was spared foie gras, fres oysters, crab cakes...ahhhh soo good.

The wine was fantastic, it was an evening of all you can eat and drink.

Calgary BMW was a huge sponsor and there was a raffle for a new car. The entry tent was decorated with two very sexy Aston Martins and Bentleys. But the focus was certainly the silent and live auctions. Many FANTASTIC items. Last year they raised $76,000

I must say that it was an impressive event for people watching. The who's who of Calgary was there. Man Barb Higgins is smoking!!! :slob: I even met Calgary's own Paris Hilton....it was seriously hilarious...she was a brunette, looked exactly like her and had the same temperment.

Let me say that tickets for this event wills et you back $175. But it was worth every penny. If you are ever looking to attend a worthwhile event and eat some fantastic food and drink amazing wine then check out this event next year. I know that I will be going.

Willow Park is seriously a jewel in the Calgary Wine and Spirits community. Year round they host a number of fantastic events. Be sure to check them out.

http://www.willowparkwines.com/events.htm

Innersoul1 Nov 19, 2007 12:36 AM

Just a heads up to all of you.

John Gilchrist reviewed the new Crazy Weed Kitchen in Canmore on Friday. He gave the restaurant a perfect 10. Something he has never done. I will have to check it out...wanted to make resos a little while back but they were closed for the renovations

http://cbc.ca/calgary/media/audio/ey...1616GILCHR.ram

Link to some of Gilchrist's other reviews:
http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/

sync Nov 19, 2007 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innersoul1 (Post 3176072)

John Gilchrist reviewed the new Crazy Weed Kitchen in Canmore on Friday. He gave the restaurant a perfect 10. Something he has never done. I will have to check it out...wanted to make resos a little while back but they were closed for the renovations

i have eaten there and had an event catered by them.

amazing.

Riise Nov 19, 2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcanuck (Post 3169263)
I'm sure Cakeworks will do a Cupcake Cake - Cakeworks seems to be the supplier of choice for weddings in Calgary. From personal experience, very recommended. http://www.eatcake.ca/

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopysheep (Post 3170753)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 3174443)
I thought Cakeworks did all their own baking. Either way, the cupcakes at cakeworkd are really good. As an alternate to a large cake you can get several designer cupcakes...some really cool ones too.

Thanks for your help everyone! This information should lead to a tasty, yet waist enlarging, experiment!

Surrealplaces Nov 20, 2007 6:03 AM

I had my wedding cake made by Cakeworks, and was happy with them We went with a funky design (of which they have many). The cake tasted good too! Who ever heard of a wedding cake that tasted good lol!

I'll be checking out the crazy weed kitchen.

jeffwhit Nov 20, 2007 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innersoul1 (Post 3176072)

Crazy Weed is fantasitc. One when I was there I saw a women crying because she had come all the way from California for the chicken curry and they out of it. I haven't been to the new location, does anyone know where it is? I'll be out that way soon.

Speaking of out of town places that absolutely rock, anyone who hasn't been to Route 40 Soup Company in Black Diamond really, really needs to go. Don't be fooled by the decor, even if soup isn't your thing it is worth the (beautiful) drive. Their house made sorbetto is so loaded with flavour the first time I had it I swore aloud quite loudly, the flavour was shockingly good. It's closed Sunday.

Western Spaghetti Nov 20, 2007 3:13 PM

Has anyone here tried the Bragg Creek Steak pit? I've always wanted to try, but have never heard anything about it.

Rusty van Reddick Nov 20, 2007 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffwhit (Post 3178894)
Crazy Weed is fantasitc. One when I was there I saw a women crying because she had come all the way from California for the chicken curry and they out of it. I haven't been to the new location, does anyone know where it is? I'll be out that way soon.

1600 Railway Ave, no it's not on Main or even "downtown," which is were some people might be looking for it.

I'll give it a shot, but the only meal I at in Crazyweed (had doggy-bagged pizza and a desert which was superb- this was after partner and a visiting friend headed there once) was terrible. It was a lunch special of "lemongrass chicken" with jasmine rice. It was a thigh-drum piece with this sweet sticky sauce on it, but it was otherwise dried out, and there was a small pile of naked rice on the side. It was embarrassing. I told them it was terrible and the server just nodded. That was a shitty experience and I haven't been back- well we tried to eat dinner there one night but it was closed for a private function. But I will give in another chance- it's just that when they serve something so execrable and do NOTHING in recompense, not even a comped cup of coffee, that's poor service and reflects the complaints about poor service at Crazyweed one sometimes reads on Chowhound.

My faves in Canmore are Quarry, especially for the steak frites (best fries I have had in Canada), Bella Crusta for a chicken salad sandwich, on their house-baked foccaccia, that will make time stand still (and one is a generous snack for two people), Gourmet Croissant pastries every bit as good as what I had in Germany (and that is saying a LOT), and Communitea for the best coffee, by far, in the Bow Valley.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffwhit (Post 3178894)
Speaking of out of town places that absolutely rock, anyone who hasn't been to Route 40 Soup Company in Black Diamond really, really needs to go. Don't be fooled by the decor, even if soup isn't your thing it is worth the (beautiful) drive. Their house made sorbetto is so loaded with flavour the first time I had it I swore aloud quite loudly, the flavour was shockingly good. It's closed Sunday.

It is also, and this is sad, closed for dinner, every day now. A fantastic option for lunch though. They do something that you find in spades in places like Portland and Vancouver: serve perfectly executed "gourmet" food (in their ingredients- it's soups and salads and wraps and pastas and excellent deserts but they use GREAT ingredients like house-smoked turkey and organic bison and I could go on and on) AT A DECENT PRICE.

Calgary can be an expense account dream come true, but it's become ridiculous how every new resto is so fucking EXPENSIVE. Go to Portland and eat at Clyde Common in the Ace Hotel. Where in Calgary can we experience something like this, an outstanding, creative meal in a beautiful environment for $20 per person? That was what we had at Siding Cafe, briefly. We have that at Diner Deluxe if you can ever get in. Maybe Cafe Koi and The Coup. It's depressing.

bigcanuck Nov 20, 2007 3:59 PM

My Canmore contribution is Tapas - just off Railway Ave next to the Paintbox Lodge. Like the name, they only serve tapas but have a great selection. Also, a great wine list to go along with it. Great evening out with a group of friends as you can order a good 6-10 dishes to sample the menu.

NumberFive Nov 20, 2007 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western Spaghetti (Post 3179216)
Has anyone here tried the Bragg Creek Steak pit? I've always wanted to try, but have never heard anything about it.

I've been... it's alright, but nothing special. If I wanted steak though, I can think of a handful of places I'd rather go in the city though.