SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Best Public Space/Piazza in the USA (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232016)

cjreisen Feb 7, 2018 7:19 PM

Best Public Space/Piazza in the USA

Hey Guys,

There are a number of articles on the value of piazzas in europe and the community building and vibrancy they create. I have pasted them below. I recall reading that at the time of my reading only one piazza existed in the USA, that being the Piazza, a private development in Philadelphia. Some other public spaces that function similarly come to mind, primarily Market Square in Pittsburgh, the new USC village in Los Angeles, Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland.

However, only two true piazzas outside Philadelphia exist that I've seen. The Grove Plaza in Boise, and USC Village in Los ANgeles. As a piazza is a public space surrounded on four sides by buildings with no automobiles allowed, no roads. Do you perhaps know of other examples of this in America? If not, what public spaces do you believe to be superior in the US?

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/ita...f-public-space
http://www.travel-studies.com/blogs/...merican-square

Steely Dan Feb 7, 2018 7:34 PM

shit. i read the thread title too fast.

i thought this was gonna be about Pizza.

cjreisen Feb 7, 2018 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8076703)
shit. i read the thread title too fast.

i thought this was gonna be about Pizza.

Very lame response :hell:

the urban politician Feb 7, 2018 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjreisen (Post 8076737)
Very lame response :hell:

Come on, piazza and pizza look similar. And we like pizza a lot around here!

cjreisen Feb 7, 2018 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8076755)
Come on, piazza and pizza look similar. And we like pizza a lot around here!

Jokes are fine in tandem with productive responses, but that's juvenile easy humor, anyone would think pizza, it's one letter off. At least be funnier.

ardecila Feb 7, 2018 8:14 PM

We don't really do street closures in the US. There are plenty of great urban squares in the US, they just have a ring of streets surrounding them before the buildings begin. Most US cities are a grid, so usually this is just an open block in the grid with dense development on each side.

To my mind, the most important thing is a consistent wall of buildings around the public space that provide solid walls to the urban "room". Having it be entirely pedestrianized is nice but not strictly necessary. I'd also add, for a piazza, that most of the space be paved and not vegetated, with few or no trees, and the space must function as a civic gathering place and not just a recreational zone or green space. In this category you could put parts of Union Square in NY, Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland, Union Square in SF, Daley Plaza in Chicago, Faneuil Hall Square in Boston, etc. Also some nice ones in surprising places, like Sundance Square in Fort Worth.

Unfortunately in a lot of cases the American fetish for landscaping and "escaping the concrete jungle" means that most open spaces in cities became green spaces, where the desire to "protect the grass" and "protect the trees" severely limits the activities that are legally allowed.

Steely Dan Feb 7, 2018 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjreisen (Post 8076768)
Jokes are fine in tandem with productive responses, but that's juvenile easy humor, anyone would think pizza, it's one letter off. At least be funnier.

i wasn't joking.

i would never joke about my faith.

i just read the title too fast. i always have Pizza on my brain.

carry on....

tdawg Feb 7, 2018 8:24 PM

Isn't a piazza just a public square/plaza? We have so many of those here in New York City. I'm thinking of the plaza at Lincoln Center & Rockefeller Center Plaza, in particular.

Lincoln Center Plaza:
http://yourevent.lincolncenter.org/a...-13-244-2x.jpg

ardecila Feb 7, 2018 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 8076800)
Isn't a piazza just a public square/plaza? We have so many of those here in New York City. I'm thinking of the plaza at Lincoln Center & Rockefeller Center Plaza, in particular.

Lincoln Center Plaza:

I think you'd want to avoid spaces that are part of a master-planned complex. Occasionally this works, but usually it just creates a boring monoculture and an environment where people don't feel comfortable unless they're following a certain script (for example, could you use a skateboard in Lincoln Center or Rockefeller?) Lincoln Center in particular has a modernist site plan, so the edges of the plaza (perceptually) are fluid and not well-defined.

Private ownership can be okay, though. Zuccotti Park feels very piazza-like, although the Occupy Wall Street eviction raises some great questions about what exactly should be allowed in these spaces.

mhays Feb 7, 2018 8:39 PM

Skateboards are obnoxious. But agreed about public space vs. monocultures.

ardecila Feb 7, 2018 8:59 PM

You know what they say about opinions!

Skateboarders can be obnoxious, but they can also be decent people. We don't ban basketball players from parks or saw off hoops just because some folks play aggressively or trash-talk.

I think it's important we recognize skateboarding as A) a valid and healthy form of recreation, just as worthy as other physical activities and B) skateboarders are members of the public with every right to use public space, so long as it doesn't interfere with others or cause excessive physical damage to public property.

Anyway, I personally think skateboarders should be welcome in piazza-type spaces, especially at off-times (weekday mornings, etc) when these spaces are pretty dead otherwise.

Cirrus Feb 7, 2018 9:40 PM

OP's definition is pretty narrow. The US has tons of spaces that fulfill basically the same purpose, but don't quite meet OP's exacting requirements of buildings on all 4 sides with no street between the buildings & plaza.
  • Small urban parks like Bryant Park, Dupont Circle, and Rittenhouse Square, separated by streets and with some grass, but otherwise very similar in function to a piazza
  • Pedestrian malls, essentially long narrow piazzas but with buildings on only 2 sides.
  • New urbanist town squares, like this one that meets the requirement except it only has buildings on 3 sides, or like this one that meets the requirement except there are narrow streets on two of the four sides.
  • Smaller public plazas with buildings on all four sides but maybe streets on one or two, like this one
  • Spanish colonial town squares like Santa Fe, which have streets consistent with their Spanish progenitors
  • Linear spaces like riverwalks that are basically long narrow one-sided piazzas. San Antonio of cource is the famous one, but there are tons of smaller ones
  • I'm sure I could go on

So yeah, I mean, it's hard to come up with exact examples in the US, and that's totally interesting to realize. But it's not like we don't have analogues.

iheartthed Feb 7, 2018 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8076785)
i wasn't joking.

carry on....

That's also what I read at first. It didn't register that I misread it until I actually opened the thread.

In terms of best piazza/plaza... I'm going to cheat and name two:
-In terms of all around experience (crowds, events, integration into the city): Manhattan's Union Square
-In terms of design and aesthetic: Detroit's Campus Martius

cjreisen Feb 7, 2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8076935)
OP's definition is pretty narrow. The US has tons of spaces that fulfill basically the same purpose, but don't quite meet OP's exacting requirements of buildings on all 4 sides with no street between the buildings & plaza.
  • Small urban parks like Bryant Park, Dupont Circle, and Rittenhouse Square, separated by streets and with some grass, but otherwise very similar in function to a piazza
  • Pedestrian malls, essentially long narrow piazzas but with buildings on only 2 sides.
  • New urbanist town squares, like this one that meets the requirement except it only has buildings on 3 sides, or like this one that meets the requirement except there are narrow streets on two of the four sides.
  • Smaller public plazas with buildings on all four sides but maybe streets on one or two, like this one
  • Spanish colonial town squares like Santa Fe, which have streets consistent with their Spanish progenitors
  • Linear spaces like riverwalks that are basically long narrow one-sided piazzas. San Antonio of cource is the famous one, but there are tons of smaller ones
  • I'm sure I could go on

So yeah, I mean, it's hard to come up with exact examples in the US, and that's totally interesting to realize. But it's not like we don't have analogues.

This was a very thorough and intelligent response, the DC area certainly carries its weight in good urban planning. I sense a piazza or town square type development is in the making, given how dense the suburbs there are becoming. To provide the pinnacle of an example, I want to show the one I mentioned, USC village in Los Angeles, as it's so perfect, and an ideal piazza in my mind:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0254...!7i8704!8i4352

And the piazza in Philly, which is a more contemporary example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9662...!7i8704!8i4352

cjreisen Feb 7, 2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8076935)
  • I'm sure I could go on

Also, I think you're on the right track, so I'm curious, what do you think are the best examples you've experienced? Even analogues that don't specifically qualify as piazzas?

pj3000 Feb 7, 2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8076785)
i wasn't joking.

carry on....

He just doesn't understand that when it comes to Pizza, you're not a joking man.

Pizza on the brain, Pizza in the mouth

That's the new mantra to guide my days.

Boisebro Feb 7, 2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8077050)
He just doesn't understand that when it comes to Pizza, you're not a joking man.

Pizza on the brain, Pizza in the mouth

That's the new mantra to guide my days.

when steely cuts himself, that red stuff that comes out? it's not blood.

it's pizza sauce.

Lou Malnati's, most likely.

pj3000 Feb 7, 2018 11:09 PM

Ok, enough of the silly pizza talk.

I think Mike is the best Piazza in the USA

http://www.insidesocal.com/dodgers/f...ike-piazza.jpg

Boisebro Feb 7, 2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8077060)
Ok, enough of the silly pizza talk.

okay. :(

back on topic, these "superblocks" like the Grove Plaza aren't without controversy. we have people in Boise who think the Grove, while hugely popular and a hub of activity, did the city a disservice by breaking up the grid.

Boise's about to get another one that's supposed to open this spring, this one between the new JUMP complex and Simplot Corporate HQ. This will include open space, a three-story slide, and a small amphitheater. should be nice when done:

https://media-exp2.licdn.com/media-p...bhU4hGUB5sE-Pg

pj3000 Feb 7, 2018 11:24 PM

Piazza d'Italia - New Orleans
https://iolandabianchi.files.wordpre...alia-002-l.jpg

Market Square - Pittsburgh (bordered by street though)
https://global-uploads.webflow.com/5...261%20copy.jpg

Public Square - Cleveland
http://media.cleveland.com/plain_dea...e0342c2f99.jpg