SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   The Cosmopolitan | 341' | 28 floors | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201295)

Sioux612 Sep 4, 2012 6:00 PM

The Cosmopolitan | 341' | 28 floors | Completed

From Baumberger Studio:

scottb Sep 4, 2012 6:19 PM

Wow, you guys are fast! Just got the go ahead to publicly release these renderings. The tower is proposed to be 30 stories tall located on the block between Tanner Springs Park and The Field Park underway in the North Pearl. Architect is Boora - here is a link to their page:

http://www.boora.com/index.php/proje...t_condominiums

And here is a link to a (huge) version of the tower rendering on Twitpic:

http://twitpic.com/ar45cz/full

That's about all I can say at this point, no timeline etc. to announce yet. It is a fantastic site, with views in all directions and is intended to be the tallest building in the Pearl.

MarkDaMan Sep 4, 2012 6:52 PM

Hmmm, the links refer to it as a condo tower? Interesting, looking forward to more info!

maccoinnich Sep 4, 2012 9:04 PM

I've been wondering why this lot wasn't being developed, given the sudden boom in apartments across the city, many in less desirable locations. I expected to see a proposal for a 1+4 mid rise any day. I wasn't expecting this.

I like what I see of the design so far, and hope it turns into a real project.

tworivers Sep 4, 2012 9:07 PM

Holy crap! Nice renderings!

I've been waiting for signs of life on this block...and this looks beautiful.

*edit: actually, my only beef is that the paper in the middle rendering should be the NYT! Not the Oregonian, which is surely one of the worst papers in the country and may not even be in print any longer by the time this tower is up ;)

pbd Sep 4, 2012 9:18 PM

Those renderings are sweet... Unfortunately I don't believe this is the winning proposal. Ankrom Moisan, BOORA, and LRS all submitted entries for this project. LRS won, unless things have changed since I heard that.

maccoinnich Sep 4, 2012 9:24 PM

Damn. Well, I'm sure whatever LRS submitted will be up to their usual standards.

cab Sep 4, 2012 9:45 PM

Beautiful building. This better beat out LRS. Any company that produced the safeway building should not be allowed to build again in this area.

tworivers Sep 4, 2012 10:38 PM

LRS won? No way. scottb, can you shed any light on this?

They should be run straight out of town for all the harm they've done to our built environment, the Safeway building indeed being a shining example of Things Designed By LRS That Should Never Have Passed Through The Design Commission.

2oh1 Sep 4, 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tworivers (Post 5819987)
Holy crap! Nice renderings!

I've been waiting for signs of life on this block...and this looks beautiful.

*edit: actually, my only beef is that the paper in the middle rendering should be the NYT! Not the Oregonian, which is surely one of the worst papers in the country and may not even be in print any longer by the time this tower is up ;)

I wasn't going to mention it, but, that paper looks like a stone tablet. I realize newspapers aren't cutting edge technology, but they're not THAT outdated :)

The building looks fantastic, with droolworthy windows, and those balconies are fantastic. I'm surprised by the balconies, frankly. They take a lot of square footage out of each condo. Then again, they also create more privacy than a balcony typically has.

The building looks fantastic. Let's hope it happens!

My only concern is that it'll be a building for millionaires rather than a building for Portlanders. Not that Portland has no millionaires... but if there's an underserved part of the housing market, the rich ain't it.

2oh1 Sep 4, 2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tworivers (Post 5820088)
LRS won? No way. scottb, can you shed any light on this?

They should be run straight out of town for all the harm they've done to our built environment, the Safeway building indeed being a shining example of Things Designed By LRS That Should Never Have Passed Through The Design Commission.

Do you mean the Pearl Safeway, or the Safeway on SW Jefferson? Construction-wise, the Safeway on Jefferson is the worst I've ever seen. The walls of apartments LITERALLY separate themselves from the ceilings, floors and concrete columns.

NJD Sep 5, 2012 1:29 AM

I like that this tower's site plan is proposed at an angle. More than a decade ago I remember seeing a rather deconstructivist "zig zag" master plan for the blocks in line with the public parks. The only one built in that style was the Park Place condos. I hope this one comes through to bring more angles and height contrast to the area.

tworivers Sep 5, 2012 3:30 AM

@2oh1: The Pearl Safeway.

bvpcvm Sep 5, 2012 4:53 AM

"Boora Architects put together a conceptual design package for a prominent site in Portland’s Pearl District"

Is there a developer proposing this, or is it just an architectural exercise?

Derek Sep 5, 2012 6:34 AM

This would be so wonderful.

MarkDaMan Sep 5, 2012 4:37 PM

I went to Hoyt's webpage and came across these two comments in a blog post on The Fields park progress. The stripped parking lot 'Kathy Keating' is referring to is the same as this tower.

http://hoytliving.wordpress.com/2012...park-progress/

Quote:

Kathy Keating
08/23/2012 at 5:19 PM

now, please share your plans for the striped parking lot that’s seen a lot of activity lately …

hoytliving
08/24/2012 at 10:37 AM

Hi Kathy! Thanks for noticing…there has been some activity recently. We’re not able to announce our plans just yet so keep reading here. We’ll let you know when it’s a done deal!

pdx2m2 Sep 7, 2012 4:19 PM

As pbd noted above this was a competition for a condo project and LRS was selected to design the tower. It would be great to see the Ankrom and LRS competition renderings if anyone has them to share.

PacificNW Sep 7, 2012 5:18 PM

I contacted the studio on their Facebook site. This is their response:

Baumberger Studio - Architectural Illustration: "It was a conceptual design effort, so it's likely to be a ways out. Don't know anymore at this point about status but would obviously love to see it move forward!"

Derek Sep 7, 2012 5:34 PM

It would be so great to at least have one tower with decent height (at least 325') in The Pearl. We'd have 325' footers from the northern end of The Pearl stretching all the way down to SOWA. :D

zilfondel Sep 7, 2012 7:56 PM

Yeah, I knew about this project but wasn't allowed to publicly say anything...

first time I've seen the renderings tho! Cool beans