SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Beer Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207680)

Cyro Sep 30, 2013 6:59 PM

The Great Canadian Beer Thread

It's only fitting with a wine discussion going on?:D
How do Canadian Brews stack up against other imports?
Hate beer, love beer are you a Beer connoisseur? :cheers:

Cyro Sep 30, 2013 7:04 PM

I'm have to go with a Corona/Lime as an ex bartender in a Martini Bar?? I know odd.
Keiths on Tap/maybe Guiness...

Canadian Brew???? Molson Dry at 5.5%? Kokanee...maybe a Blue if no other choice...

haljackey Sep 30, 2013 7:05 PM

Creemore happens to be my favorite beer ever.

Moosehead is my favorite 'mainstream' beer.

I find Canadian beer in general to be a good bridge between the watery American beers and the bold beers of Europe. It's something that is refreshing but still has the full taste you expect.

Calgarian Sep 30, 2013 7:09 PM

Lots of good craft beers in this country, some of my favourites are Yukon Brewing (their red is delicious!), Tree Brewing out of Kelowna (Thirsty Beaver is my favourite) Wild Rose in Calgary (Wred Wheat) and Mill Street out of Toronto (Tankhouse Ale). Though there are lots of other good ones too. Since the whole craft thing took off I find regular beers (Molson, Kokanee, Bud) are all really remarkable mediocre lol.

Cyro Sep 30, 2013 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haljackey (Post 6284818)
Creemore happens to be my favorite beer ever.

Moosehead is my favorite 'mainstream' beer.

I find Canadian beer in general to be a good bridge between the watery American beers and the bold beers of Europe. It's something that is refreshing but still has the full taste you expect.

I agree with the right in the middle if looking at Europe vs. the US..Although I'm sorry to say I can't stand most American beers.:yuck:

Calgarian Sep 30, 2013 7:13 PM

With the whole craft beer revolution that is happening, I think the difference between Canadian and American beers is mostly non existant, unless you stick to Budweiser and MGD instead of Rogue and Dogfish Head (best name ever!).

Cyro Sep 30, 2013 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 6284828)
Lots of good craft beers in this country, some of my favourites are Yukon Brewing (their red is delicious!), Tree Brewing out of Kelowna (Thirsty Beaver is my favourite) Wild Rose in Calgary (Wred Wheat) and Mill Street out of Toronto (Tankhouse Ale). Though there are lots of other good ones too. Since the whole craft thing took off I find regular beers (Molson, Kokanee, Bud) are all really remarkable mediocre lol.

This is so true. With Craft bevies making a huge surge across the country, thier are so many quality choices to decide from.:yes:

Acajack Sep 30, 2013 7:17 PM

This thread made me think that I haven't bought a Molson or Labatt product in ages. I mean, I'll have one if it's handed to me for free at a party, but when I buy beer it's always imported or microbrews (mostly from Quebec but also from eastern Ontario like Beau's, or occasionally from other provinces).

shreddog Sep 30, 2013 7:22 PM

Personally I find that with the craft beer revolution, the myth concerning European beer superioty vs American beers is dead. Yanks and Canucks make good beer now ... and even the Germans make watery crap.

That said, I will figuratively kill someone to get a Blanche du Chambly, especially on tap. That is a great beer!!

Nashe Sep 30, 2013 7:28 PM

I like me some La Fin du Monde. It's... wow.

SignalHillHiker Sep 30, 2013 7:30 PM

Ayreonaut is our local (imported from Alberta) beer expert.

My favourite local beers are by Storm Brewing.

Storm Island Gold is delicious. Just delicious. It changed beer drinking for me.

And Storm Coffee Porter is the best-tasting beverage of any kind I've ever had.

Mainstream... my favourite is probably Guiness. I also enjoy Red Stripe.

Acajack Sep 30, 2013 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreddog (Post 6284865)
Personally I find that with the craft beer revolution, the myth concerning European beer superioty vs American beers is dead. Yanks and Canucks make good beer now ... and even the Germans make watery crap.

That said, I will figuratively kill someone to get a Blanche du Chambly, especially on tap. That is a great beer!!

Just to raz you buddy but there's like 10 places within a 3 km of my house where I can buy it! (Helps dull the pain of higher income taxes.)

Seriously, though, it's one brand I really like as well.

Coldrsx Sep 30, 2013 7:31 PM

^yummy, maudite also good.

I like a bit of everything, from coronas on a beach to Guinness or stouts during cold winter pub nights, but attempt to buy local when I can for variety sake and to support.

Yellowhead brewing, Alley Kat, Amber's and Hogshead here in Edmonton treat us reasonably well.

FrankieFlowerpot Sep 30, 2013 7:32 PM

I've been drinking a lot of Hogtown lately. See if you can guess which tap is Hogtown's

http://i.imgur.com/NZnn6te.jpg

Cyro Sep 30, 2013 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 6284887)
I've been drinking a lot of Hogtown lately. See if you can guess which tap is Hogtown's

http://i.imgur.com/NZnn6te.jpg

:haha: I so need a beer after this pic...I'm stuck with wine at the moment?:cheers:

Calgarian Sep 30, 2013 7:43 PM

Had a pint at lunch, ready for a nap now lol.

esquire Sep 30, 2013 7:57 PM

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I tend to buy obscure dad-beers which are produced by big brewers but for whatever reason no longer get any sort of marketing push.

My selection in recent months has included Club, Old Vienna, Extra Old Stock, Labatt Blue, Molson Genuine Draft. My next visit to the beer store will probably see me buying a case of Standard Lager, or maybe Molson Dry.

I usually keep some Half Pints or random Belgian beer on hand for hipster guests who can't tolerate drinking a Labatt or Molson product :)

Coldrsx Sep 30, 2013 8:01 PM

OV and EOS are boss.

Cyro Sep 30, 2013 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6284927)
I'm not a big beer drinker, but I tend to buy obscure dad-beers which are produced by big brewers but for whatever reason no longer get any sort of marketing push.

My selection in recent months has included Club, Old Vienna, Extra Old Stock, Labatt Blue, Molson Genuine Draft. My next visit to the beer store will probably see me buying a case of Standard Lager, or maybe Molson Dry.

I usually keep some Half Pints or random Belgian beer on hand for hipster guests who can't tolerate drinking a Labatt or Molson product :)

ohh I so much miss stubbies.....:)

http://www.straight.com/files/styles...rew_110629.jpg
www.straight.com

shreddog Sep 30, 2013 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 6284883)
Just to raz you buddy but there's like 10 places within a 3 km of my house where I can buy it! (Helps dull the pain of higher income taxes.)

Seriously, though, it's one brand I really like as well.

I'm usually in Ottawa for business a week a month and had purposely changed hotels such as to stay in one with that beer on tap. Alas, they no longer carry it, so I need to find new accomodations.

For a more main stream beer, I will just seriously maim someone to get a Boreal Rousse on tap.