SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Homicide stats in Canadian Cities (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143615)

1ajs May 31, 2009 4:33 AM

36 :o

1ajs Jun 15, 2009 12:44 AM

Homicide on Manitoba Avenue
CJOB's John Copsey reporting
6/14/2009

One man is dead after a double-shooting on Manitoba Avenue Saturday night.

The shooting occurred just after 10:30 p.m., when two males walking in the area were approached by an unknown suspect (or suspects).

Both victims were shot in their mid-section.

28-year-old Wayne Roger Michelle of Winnipeg succumbed to his injuries in hospital. A 27-year-old man remains in stable condition.

Constable Jacqueline Chaput tells CJOB most of this weekend's various shooting victims have gang ties...
The Homicide Unit is continuing their investigation. No suspects have yet been identified.

yea last 2 weeks theres been a bunch of weird gun related stuff people drive bying on bike at gangs houses ect all in the same area

PhilippeMtl Jun 15, 2009 1:42 PM

Montreal is at 13 .

blake10 Jun 16, 2009 1:25 AM

Violent weekend in Winnipeg (I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that it was the first nice weather we've had), but, as reported, only 1 homicide:

<<WINNIPEG -- A run of violence over the weekend peaked late Saturday night with the shooting death of a 28-year-old man in the 500 block of Manitoba Avenue.

Wayne Roger Michelle, 28, was rushed to hospital in critical condition after being shot in the chest while walking in the area. He later died.

A 27-year-old man walking with him was shot in the back and taken to hospital in stable condition.

Neighbours gathered outside a home in the area said the victim was waiting for a ride with another man when the shooting took place.

"Somebody rolled up on them and blasted them," said one man who declined to give his name.

He said the incident was shocking because the victim wasn't the type to have enemies.

"He's a good guy," he said. "I can't even see people being mad at him."

Michelle's death marks the city's 12th homicide of the year. The incident was the fourth shooting to happen over the weekend, along with three separate assaults that sent five people to hospital Friday night and early Saturday morning.

"The number of shots-fired calls has been alarming," said Insp. Keith Walker. "...I'm hoping that the trend is not going to continue, and that it's just a blip."

Winnipeg police spokeswoman Const. Jacqueline Chaput said at least two shots were fired on Manitoba Avenue. She would not say how the suspect or suspects approached the men, or fled the scene. Police have no suspects in custody.

Both victims had gang ties, said Chaput. She could not say whether the incident was an act of gang violence, but said it's a possibility.

Officers were still at the scene Sunday afternoon, and had a wide area taped off. Manitoba was blocked off at Andrews Street and McGregor Street, and Andrews was taped off at Magnus Avenue and around the entire intersection of Andrews and Pritchard Avenue.

Police have one man in custody in connection to a shooting earlier in the weekend in the 500 block of Aberdeen Avenue. A 24-year-old man was taken to hospital in stable condition after being shot at a home on Aberdeen Saturday morning, and collapsing on nearby Redwood Avenue.

Police say the suspect was taken into custody later that morning at the same home where the shooting allegedly occurred.

Shaun Garry McLean, 20, is charged with attempted murder, assault, breaking and entering and numerous firearms-related charges. He is being held at the Winnipeg Remand Centre.

Meanwhile, police have arrested a second man following a series of serious assaults on Arlington Street early Saturday morning, and identified a man already arrested in connection with the case.

A man with a broken bottle allegedly attacked three men, aged 23, 29 and 52, in a parking lot on the 1100 block of Arlington at around 2:50 a.m. A 34-year-old man was arrested at a home on Beacon Street about 20 minutes later.

William Gary Pangman, 34, faces charges including aggravated assault, two counts of assault with a weapon, assault causing bodily harm, possession of a weapon and mischief under $5,000. He is being held at the remand centre.

A second man faces charges of assault and has been released on a promise to appear.>>

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...wAllComments=y

BTW- only reason I bold it is to show that it's a quote (with the link at the bottom). Must be habit from other discussion boards...it's not to try and signal out Winnipeg or anything!

Elsewhere in Manitoba, a missing persons case is (as of last week) being considered a homicide:

<<WINNIPEG — RCMP say the case of missing Portage la Prairie woman Amber Lynn McFarland is now being treated as a homicide.

And officers have returned for a second search, both inside and out, of a home in the community that once belonged to the 24-year-old's former boyfriend. She was last seen at a Portage la Prairie nightclub on Oct. 18, 2008.

"Our investigation is considered a murder investigation," said RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Line Karpish Wednesday. Karpish said investigators resumed searching a property on Yellowquill Trail on Wednesday morning. The Forensic Mobile Response Unit was on scene, she said, and officers were still at the property Wednesday evening.

"We do remain very confident that we're going to get some kind of conclusion," Karpish said.

"Someone will be charged and face the consequences, or we will find her body at least to give some closure to the family."

Karpish did not identify the home, but said it has previously been searched by police.

Amber's mother, Lori McFarland, said the home was formerly owned by Amber's ex-boyfriend, one of the last men seen with her.

Lori McFarland said Wednesday was the first day she'd been told the investigation was being treated as a homicide. The news was difficult but not surprising, she said.

"You always want to maintain some shred of hope," she said. "I guess in your mind you know where it's headed.

"It'll be eight months on June 18. Short of a miracle... I wouldn't say that we're surprised, you know?"

Karpish said a combination of factors led officers back to the Yellowquill Trail property, but didn't offer specifics. She said there are no suspects in custody in connection with the case.

Lori McFarland said she's aware police vehicles were outside the home Wednesday, but said she didn't know what was happening on the property.

It "gets to be a lot of public speculation," she said.

"We have to filter that out, and we rely on the RCMP to give us the latest as to where the investigation is at."

Amber McFarland was last seen in Portage la Prairie at the Cat and Fiddle Nite Club and reportedly left with a former boyfriend. Surveillance footage captured her buying beer there at a vendor in the company of two men.

Her car was found in the parking lot of a Portage hotel, where she had left it before going out that evening.

When McFarland did not come back to her parents' home, her friend and family said the ex-boyfriend told them McFarland called someone on her cellphone and they picked her up at his home on Yellowquill Trail.

They said he told them he did not know who picked her up, and he never saw McFarland again.

McFarland was the subject of a frantic search following her disappearance last fall, including draining part of the Assiniboine River diversion. Amber's purse and cellphone were never located. "We just want to have her found, and bring her home," said Lori McFarland. "She's loved and she should be with people that love her.">>

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-47761037.html

Blitz Jun 16, 2009 2:57 AM

Windsor is now at 2.

1ajs Jun 16, 2009 4:03 AM

the last 3 weekends have had shootings of sorts this is what we get witch suxs i just wish ottowa would fix the isses with the youth justic act or all of canada will just hve increasing problems we need to drop the age limit lower btw

btw black you can post them as quote using quote tags [ quote] put ur quote in here [/ quote]

or if u are in the advanced posting area not quick post you can just click this buttion and it will give u the code u just insert ur txt between " http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/imag...itor/quote.gif "

blake10 Jun 19, 2009 12:43 AM

Article about Winnipeg violence:

<<Gunshots were fired in Winnipeg's West End neighbourhood Wednesday morning, and police are looking into possible gang connections.

The incident happened on the 800 block of Home Street at about 5:30 a.m. No one was hurt, police said.

The shooting is the latest in a spree of gang-related violence in the city that came to a head last weekend when four men were shot and five people were seriously assaulted in a 24-hour span. Wayne Roger Michelle, 28, died Saturday after being shot in the chest on Manitoba Avenue.

Officers also reported responding to at least a dozen other suspected shootings on the weekend.

Gang war in North End
The majority of the weekend's violence occurred in the city's North End, where a fight has been brewing between two rival gangs, according to police Chief Keith McCaskill.

He said the street crimes unit was on the ground in the neighbourhood all weekend and were able to perform CPR on one shooting victim because they had heard the gunfire themselves and arrived at the scene moments afterward.

The two gangs involved in the fight are the MOB and the Indian Posse, according to residents, who have become familiar with the turf war.

Youth in the neighbourhood often watch as yellow police tape is strung up around the latest crime scene.

Five-year-old Kaylie, who likes to play house with her friends, and pretend she is a grownup, has become acutely aware of the real life situation in her neighbourhood. She told CBC News that she sees "lots of cops" in the area.

Just a few meters from the steps of her house is the place where Michelle was shot and killed. Another man was also shot at the same spot but survived.

Kids careful about colours they wear
A 13-year-old who didn't want to be identified recently witnessed a gang shooting along with his nine-year-old sister.

"This guy came out of his car and started shooting," the teen said, adding, "I see them walking around yelling at each other and stuff; screaming at each other."

He said he has to be careful about the colours of clothing he wears, for fear of appearing to be aligned with a gang.

"So I just wear black or something. If I wear red around here I'll get shot or something," he said.

But the violence has become so bad as of late, the teen and his siblings don't do much of anything outside anymore.

"I just hope that little kids don't get hurt. That's all I'm concerned about," said resident Bella Harper.

Eleven-year-old Serena said she often wishes she her neighbourhood was different. In her daydreams, she imagines "it would be nicer.">>

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...-winnipeg.html

Looks like it's going to be a busy summer for police.

vid Jun 19, 2009 5:09 AM

This is a thread about homicides, not possible gang violence in a city you love to hate.

blake10 Jun 23, 2009 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 4314821)
This is a thread about homicides, not possible gang violence in a city you love to hate.

The article was about gang violence last weekend which resulted in a homicide (and could have resulted in quite a few more!) It has nothing to do with "hating" Winnipeg.

vid Jun 23, 2009 3:56 PM

And why was the entire article emphasized?

Keng Jun 23, 2009 4:26 PM

Wow, their is a disproportionate amount of discussion about crime in Winnipeg. Granted the city has problems, like all Canadian cities, but come on. No wonder, so many hold such a negative image. Some just love to hate beyond what is reasonable, I guess. and for the haters... No I am not in denial, nor am I a cheerleader;)

It appears we are the only city on this forum who repeatedly quotes the previous days crime report, in the homicide section....Amazing!

98fb Jun 23, 2009 4:31 PM

MV is now at 40. 2 slain young men yesterday and I believe i missed one couple weeks ago. Also, Surrey had another woman die yesterday.

Rusty van Reddick Jun 23, 2009 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 4321668)
Wow, their is a disproportionate amount of discussion about crime in Winnipeg. Granted the city has problems, like all Canadian cities, but come on.!

It has worse problems than most Canadian cities, but this year, Vancouver has "worse problems" in re murder than has any Canadian city in history. Right now, the rate of murder in Vancouver is more than twice that of Seattle and triple that of Portland. This has never been the case for cross-border (Can-US) urban comparison on the history of crime stats.

LeftCoaster Jun 23, 2009 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 4321668)
Wow, their is a disproportionate amount of discussion about crime in Winnipeg. Granted the city has problems, like all Canadian cities, but come on. No wonder, so many hold such a negative image. Some just love to hate beyond what is reasonable, I guess. and for the haters... No I am not in denial, nor am I a cheerleader;)

It appears we are the only city on this forum who repeatedly quotes the previous days crime report, in the homicide section....Amazing!

Don't get too upset, we've been talking about Vancouver a lot too, and both with good cause, as they are not great years in either city.

LotusLand Jun 23, 2009 5:59 PM

I wonder what the breakdown is in Metro Vancouver. I think Surrey would be at or near the top of the list. I may be wrong. Also what is the Valley's count like?

This has been a horrible year for Metro Vancouver. :(

drew Jun 23, 2009 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 4321803)
Don't get too upset, we've been talking about Vancouver a lot too, and both with good cause, as they are not great years in either city.

I think the complaints are towards certain forumers posting articles that are simply crime related and not homicide related for Winnipeg, and therefore off topic.

It seems forumers from every other city in Canada seem to understand that this thread is about homicides only, but apparently blake10 doesn't get it.

ambaUp Jun 23, 2009 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotusLand (Post 4321829)
I wonder what the breakdown is in Metro Vancouver. I think Surrey would be at or near the top of the list. I may be wrong. Also what is the Valley's count like?

This has been a horrible year for Metro Vancouver. :(

CBC has a map showing the locations of all 2009 murders in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. http://www.cbc.ca/bc/features/homicide/2009.html

Vancouver has the most, but Surrey is 2nd.

LotusLand Jun 23, 2009 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambaUp (Post 4322157)
CBC has a map showing the locations of all 2009 murders in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. http://www.cbc.ca/bc/features/homicide/2009.html

Vancouver has the most, but Surrey is 2nd.

Thanks I thought Surrey would be 2nd. Thanks, I didn't know that Vancouver had that many. Then again the recent surrey deaths probably clouded my memory.

drizzo_613 Jun 27, 2009 1:32 AM

1 more Ottawa-Gatineau, teen killed in gang related shooting
..and another almost beaten to death last night on rideau street of course :no:

blake10 Jul 1, 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 4321844)
I think the complaints are towards certain forumers posting articles that are simply crime related and not homicide related for Winnipeg, and therefore off topic.

It seems forumers from every other city in Canada seem to understand that this thread is about homicides only, but apparently blake10 doesn't get it.

Apparently you don't "get" that the article WAS about a homicide. Not my fault if posters from other cities don't post anything regarding homicides taking place there.