SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Highrise Development Thread X (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239026)

Parkway May 22, 2019 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 8580782)
I think Blackwell being ousted speaks to the rapid Gentrification of West Philly.

It's interesting because you would think that but she did pretty poorly across the board, particularly in places like Mill Creek, western Mantua, and Parkside. She even dropped several wards out in Cobbs Creek where support should have been strong.

I think it speaks to the fact that she has been absent and self-interested for a long time and people finally realized that they can do better.

iheartphilly May 22, 2019 5:09 PM

^
To be fair, West Philly has gone through some positive changes in the past 10+ years, even while under Blackwell's tutelage. In this timeframe, more businesses have started, more people moved in, property values increase, Baltimore Ave in West Philly improved with better street lighting and landscape. With new leadership, we can hope and expect that this will continue and be built upon to make it better for the people living and doing business in West Philly. Good luck to the new councilwoman!

cardeza May 22, 2019 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartphilly (Post 8580811)
^
To be fair, West Philly has gone through some positive changes in the past 10+ years, even while under Blackwell's tutelage. In this timeframe, more businesses have started, more people moved in, property values increase, Baltimore Ave in West Philly improved with better street lighting and landscape. With new leadership, we can hope and expect that this will continue and be built upon to make it better for the people living and doing business in West Philly. Good luck to the new councilwoman!

low turnout means anything can happen. I dont think it's so much of a massive wave of opposition that sunk Blackwell, its simply that the new person had more engaged followers that showed up in greater numbers in a low turnout election. Blackwell likely NEVER Got a lot of votes in these primaries- she was unopposed so it didn't really matter.

volguus zildrohar May 22, 2019 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardeza (Post 8580831)
low turnout means anything can happen. I dont think it's so much of a massive wave of opposition that sunk Blackwell, its simply that the new person had more engaged followers that showed up in greater numbers in a low turnout election. Blackwell likely NEVER Got a lot of votes in these primaries- she was unopposed so it didn't really matter.

That's about right.

She was never a force politically on her own - most of her juice came from her name and the power of the Democratic machine in this city. I'm having a hard time remembering any serious challengers to her seat in the 18 years or so that I've been a voter in that district. This current time was a perfect storm of forces that was set to leave her dusted and rightfully so. There is a frustration amongst people in the far western parts of the district where I live - cross 52nd Street and you'll see a different West Philadelphia than the realtors would have you believe. Blackwell's presence (or lack thereof) isn't much of factor in why things aren't as good as they are elsewhere in the district and there's only so much a councilperson can do in a short timeframe to visibly make a dent in entrenched poverty but for once in this city's history people sided with the devil that they didn't know...maybe a good sign?

City Wide May 23, 2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgrath618 (Post 8580680)
It's great that Blackwell, one of the two oldest council members, is now gone. The future belongs to the young. Gauthier will do great things for West Philly, and it would be great to see some young blood challenge Clarke next election.

It was a given that Blackwell reached her peak 20+ years ago, and it wasn't much of one, but I believe caution should be used about Gauthier. Just being better then Blackwell is a very, very low bar to cross, and there are many questions, big unanswered questions about Gauthier's campaign-----like where did all the money come from, who are backers, who is she going to be listening to? The biggest surprise is that Blackwell put up such a minimum effort in running a re-election drive; she did less this year when she had a serious contender then in past elections when she was running pretty much against no one.

I'm hoping for the best from Gauthier, but expecting a 'Blackwell lite' at best. The last think West Philly needs is basically more of the same for the next 20 years.

Urbanthusiat May 23, 2019 3:17 PM

Looks like we'll have two more threads to make!

Quote:

2 new boutique hotels for Center City

Two new boutique hotels are planned for Center City, each seeking to capture a different niche in the market.

In the Midtown section of Philadelphia, Estia Group, a family-owned company known locally for its Greek restaurant Estia and Italian restaurant Pietro’s, plans to develop a 14-story hotel called Blu Ivy at 11th and Sansom streets that will have 86 rooms. The hotel will have a health-and-wellness focus. Closer to Love Park and the Pennsylvania Convention Center, the Lau family of New York plans at 15th and Cherry streets to develop a 14-story, 29,000-square-foot building called the Revival Hotel that will have 64 micro rooms.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Blue Ivy looks great.

https://i.imgur.com/UD4N9zL.jpg

iheartphilly May 23, 2019 3:23 PM

June's list for the CDR review is up.

https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...ignReview.aspx

Jawnadelphia May 23, 2019 3:49 PM

I like the Blue Ivy rendering a lot for the old Midtown diner location as well.

The 15th and Cherry location is not the parking lot? The small building on the corner -- right?

Parkway May 23, 2019 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 8581954)

Honestly, this is a huge improvement of the Midtown II both in aesthetics and use.

cardeza May 23, 2019 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 8581705)
It was a given that Blackwell reached her peak 20+ years ago, and it wasn't much of one, but I believe caution should be used about Gauthier. Just being better then Blackwell is a very, very low bar to cross, and there are many questions, big unanswered questions about Gauthier's campaign-----like where did all the money come from, who are backers, who is she going to be listening to? The biggest surprise is that Blackwell put up such a minimum effort in running a re-election drive; she did less this year when she had a serious contender then in past elections when she was running pretty much against no one.

I'm hoping for the best from Gauthier, but expecting a 'Blackwell lite' at best. The last think West Philly needs is basically more of the same for the next 20 years.

what about her background suggests she is Blackwell 2.0? What sort of person WOULD be qualified to take this seat and be considered a legitimate upgrade? I don't see much that connects Blackwell and Gauthier.

summersm343 May 23, 2019 4:18 PM

Looks amazing! Someone create a thread!

There's a thread already created for Revival Hotel. I just posted in it.

mcgrath618 May 23, 2019 4:50 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...39#post8582139

summersm343 May 23, 2019 5:54 PM

Philadelphia Region Fortune 500 and 1000 Companies 2019

Fortune 500
10. Amerisource Bergen - Chesterbrook, PA (soon to be Conshohocken, PA)
32. Comcast - Philadelphia, PA
35. DowDuPont - Wilmington, DE
187. Lincoln Financial Group - Radnor, PA
198. Aramark - Philadelphia, PA
284. Crown Holdings - Philadelphia, PA
293. Universal Health Services - King of Prussia, PA
349. Campbell Soup - Camden, NJ
400. UGI - King of Prussia, PA
428. Toll Brothers - Horsham, PA
451. Burlington Stores - Burlington, NJ
454. Chemours - Wilmington, DE
497. Navient - Wilmington, DE

Fortune 1000
543. Genesis Healthcare - Kennett Square, PA
552. Ametek - Berwyn, PA
556. FMC Corp - Philadelphia, PA
634. Urban Outfitters - Philadelphia, PA
676. Penn National Gaming - Reading, PA
691. American Water Works - Camden, NJ
723. Penn Mutual Life Insurance - Horsham, PA
728. Triumph Group - Berwyn, PA
759. Vishay Intertechnology - Malvern, PA
796. Unisys - Blue Bell, PA
841. EnerSys - Reading, PA
870. Teleflex - Wayne, PA
890. Brightview Holdings - Blue Bell, PA
940. Carpenter Technology - Bensalem, PA
985. Healthcare Services Group - Bensalem, PA

mcgrath618 May 23, 2019 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 8582245)
Philadelphia Region Fortune 500 and 1000 Companies 2019

Fortune 500
10. Amerisource Bergen - Chesterbrook, PA (soon to be Conshohocken, PA)
32. Comcast - Philadelphia, PA
35. DowDuPont - Wilmington, DE
187. Lincoln Financial Group - Radnor, PA
198. Aramark - Philadelphia, PA
284. Crown Holdings - Philadelphia, PA
293. Universal Health Services - King of Prussia, PA
349. Campbell Soup - Camden, NJ
400. UGI - King of Prussia, PA
428. Toll Brothers - Horsham, PA
451. Burlington Stores - Burlington, NJ
454. Chemours - Wilmington, DE
497. Navient - Wilmington, DE

Fortune 1000
543. Genesis Healthcare - Kennett Square, PA
552. Ametek - Berwyn, PA
556. FMC Corp - Philadelphia, PA
634. Urban Outfitters - Philadelphia, PA
676. Penn National Gaming - Reading, PA
691. American Water Works - Camden, NJ
723. Penn Mutual Life Insurance - Horsham, PA
728. Triumph Group - Berwyn, PA
759. Vishay Intertechnology - Malvern, PA
796. Unisys - Blue Bell, PA
841. EnerSys - Reading, PA
870. Teleflex - Wayne, PA
890. Brightview Holdings - Blue Bell, PA
940. Carpenter Technology - Bensalem, PA
985. Healthcare Services Group - Bensalem, PA

Since when have the Toll Bros been Fortune 500?

summersm343 May 23, 2019 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgrath618 (Post 8582252)
Since when have the Toll Bros been Fortune 500?

I think they made it for the first time either last year or the year before.

Larry King May 23, 2019 6:46 PM

So of the region's fortune 500 companies, we have 3 of them and one is leaving soon. The suburbs are really crushing us, still.

Urbanthusiat May 23, 2019 7:22 PM

Did some quick math and it seems 21/28 companies that were on the list in both 2018 and 2019 moved up on the list, and cumulatively those 28 companies had a net positive move of 505 spots. 15 companies moved up 10 or more spots. That should indicate that the companies in this area are doing relatively well compared to the rest of the Fortune 500, at least with regards to revenue.

summersm343 May 23, 2019 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 8582326)
So of the region's fortune 500 companies, we have 3 of them and one is leaving soon. The suburbs are really crushing us, still.

Clearly speaks to the poor business tax climate in the city, no? You think the city government would wake the F up and see this.

Still, I'm OK with having a multi-node employment metro area, but still, 2-3 more Fortune 500s and 2-3 more Fortune 1000s in the Metro area would be nice.

cardeza May 24, 2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 8582576)
Clearly speaks to the poor business tax climate in the city, no? You think the city government would wake the F up and see this.

Still, I'm OK with having a multi-node employment metro area, but still, 2-3 more Fortune 500s and 2-3 more Fortune 1000s in the Metro area would be nice.

What makes you think every big company wants to be in the city or that nationwide HQs are in skycrapers downtown? Just because we live close to NYC doesn't mean that is representative of what you find nationwide. Some companies like having campuses outside of the city- regardless of any other factors.

ScreamShatter May 24, 2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardeza (Post 8583012)
What makes you think every big company wants to be in the city or that nationwide HQs are in skycrapers downtown? Just because we live close to NYC doesn't mean that is representative of what you find nationwide. Some companies like having campuses outside of the city- regardless of any other factors.

In an era where the nationwide trend has been for companies to move from the burbs into the city, we should stop and ask ourselves "what's preventing that from happening in Philly?" As you said, it may be that the suburban Philly companies have legit reasons for remaining there. But it could, as is also highly probable and well documented at this point, that Philly's tax structure is part of that problem as we have some of the highest and least business friendly taxes in the country.