SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   Vic Suites (Hollis & Morris) | 32 m | 10 fl | Complete (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152199)

sdm Jun 3, 2008 7:34 PM

Vic Suites (Hollis & Morris) | 32 m | 10 fl | Complete

Case 01163
Application by Dexel Developments Limited to enter into a development agreement to allow for a 10-storey mixed use commercial/residential building at the corner of Hollis Street and Morris Street (1267-1285 Hollis Street and 5142-5144 Morris Street; PID #'s 00092635 and 00092627), Halifax.

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case01162Details.html

gm_scott Jun 3, 2008 7:54 PM

I like the idea. I'm just not sure if it looks contemporary enough.

Dmajackson Jun 3, 2008 7:57 PM

Thats the set of wooden houses that supposedly are huge fire hazards. That block is currently a disaster zone so I welcome any development here. Looking at the renderings it looks pretty good. The parking buildings look a little strange though... Just some more info:

Public meeting: June 25th, 2008 @ 7:00pm @ City Hall

And the thread title should look like this:

5114 Hollis|45m|10frs|Proposed

sdm Jun 3, 2008 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm_scott (Post 3590605)
I like the idea. I'm just not sure if it looks contemporary enough.

I like it, its a good fit for the area. Hopefully it gets built.

Too bad looking at HRM by design maps this building couldn't be built to ten stories.

I figure we are going to see lots of development agreements for downtown come flying in before HRM by design gets adopted.

worldlyhaligonian Jun 3, 2008 7:59 PM

10 floors is good for that location, I'm going to guess that the HT is going to shit their pants yet again.

The cranes for this, the Alexander development, the Centennial development, and UG would make Halifax look like a development boom was going on...

For now, Canada's virtual city

sdm Jun 3, 2008 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 3590610)
Thats the set of wooden houses that supposedly are huge fire hazards. That block is currently a disaster zone so I welcome any development here. Looking at the renderings it looks pretty good. The parking buildings look a little strange though... Just some more info:

Public meeting: June 25th, 2008 @ 7:00pm @ City Hall

And the thread title should look like this:

5114 Hollis|45m|10frs|Proposed

Thks, will make the change.

EMERA owns the site beside this, could be interesting.

worldlyhaligonian Jun 3, 2008 8:10 PM

the lower water street side?

I wish the whole area would reach its potential.

Dmajackson Jun 3, 2008 9:06 PM

Hopefully HT won't have much of an arguement against this. Theres no historic buildings nearby and its not under a viewplane as far as i know. Of course they could argue the Water St power plant is historic and it would ruin the view of it...:rolleyes:

Looks good though. Now all they have to do is develop that parking lot next door with the billboard in it...

Keith P. Jun 3, 2008 9:12 PM

But isn't the building on the corner the very run-down but otherwise interesting building with the wraparound verandahs? I tohught it was owned by Victor Syperek. I can't believe the HT wouldn't scream bloody murder and I'm surprised that isn't a registered heritage property.

The proposal looks OK, pretty ordinary, maybe a 6 out of 10.

Dmajackson Jun 3, 2008 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 3590786)
But isn't the building on the corner the very run-down but otherwise interesting building with the wraparound verandahs? I tohught it was owned by Victor Syperek. I can't believe the HT wouldn't scream bloody murder and I'm surprised that isn't a registered heritage property.

Yes its that house. No its not registered. The closet registered building is across the intersection and down two buildings (1328-1332 Hollis Street).

Jonovision Jun 3, 2008 10:23 PM

I don't know how I feel about it. It's not anything inspiring, thats for sure. I do like the way it face the corner though. It looks to me like a combination of the new building that just went up on the south end of Barrington Street and the building built about 10 years ago just north of this site on Hollis Street. It's an ok infill project, but what's up with that roof?!

worldlyhaligonian Jun 3, 2008 11:13 PM

I like it, I mean its 10 stories and if its red brick will suit the Westin as you go south on Hollis. It will help complement the building next to it before, It would be visible on the skyline until a development goes in on the east corner. Would also complement the Waterford... I'm in favor, as I doubt alot of more advantageous proposals will pass undetered.

sdm Jun 3, 2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 3591124)
I like it, I mean its 10 stories and if its red brick will suit the Westin as you go south on Hollis. It will help complement the building next to it before, It would be visible on the skyline until a development goes in on the east corner. Would also complement the Waterford... I'm in favor, as I doubt alot of more advantageous proposals will pass undetered.

Couldn't agree more, however it better get passed now as like i said HRM by design by law state 70 foot height for that area. Mind you they pose a 70 foot height restriction for most of downtown.

someone123 Jun 3, 2008 11:51 PM

I've long suspected that a development would come along for this site. The wooden building is definitely interesting but feels like it's a leftover from another era:

http://www.pbase.com/halifaxphoto/im...6/original.jpg

There were probably a bunch of these around Halifax and Dartmouth back in the 1950s and earlier. I've seen old pictures of Dartmouth with rows of wooden four storey apartments that are similar. I'm guessing a few of them burned down and others were simply demolished as slums or replaced by modern buildings in the 60s and 70s.

One can argue about the architecture of this one but I think the form and uses are perfect for the neighbourhood. I also like the curved corner detail.

The Southern end of Hollis and Barrington are going to be a really solid, upscale neighbourhood in a few years. It's a small area but it has a good location, great old building stock, and good access to public space like Cornwallis Park and the waterfront.

spaustin Jun 4, 2008 12:17 AM

Well it's hard to be enthusiastic about this one... I live in 5142 Morris Street.

Dmajackson Jun 4, 2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaustin (Post 3591261)
Well it's hard to be enthusiastic about this one... I live in 5142 Morris Street.

Wow...well you may get an eviction notice soon. I've never heard of anyone else on this forum having a proposal where they live.

spaustin Jun 4, 2008 1:50 AM

Probably eventually, although given the pace of these things we could be here a while before we're evicted. The thing that really annoys me is that we moved in just a few months ago and asked before we signed on if there was any reason why the building was month to month. They told us that they couldn't change it to yearly leases because the law requires any buildings to be all month to month or all year to year, not a mix, so therefore switching the building would be difficult. It didn't sound very plausible at the time and sounds even less plausible in hindsight. This proposal didn't spring up overnight so slimey Paramount Management seems to have just lied to us to fill the unit. Jerks.

It does look like a good project, it just sucks that I'm going to have to move as it's a really great spot to live and there is a good chance I won't be able to afford to stay down here.

spaustin Jun 4, 2008 2:16 AM

Just fyi, all but 1 of the 6 old rowhouses on the other side of Morris Street are registered heritage properties as is the Pryor house that is on the other side of Hollis. Only Victor Sprycheck's rowhouse (the yellow one with all the ironwork and the roof patio) isn't registered. Heritage trust will no doubt cite these buildings in their opposition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 3590773)
Hopefully HT won't have much of an arguement against this. Theres no historic buildings nearby and its not under a viewplane as far as i know. Of course they could argue the Water St power plant is historic and it would ruin the view of it...:rolleyes:

Looks good though. Now all they have to do is develop that parking lot next door with the billboard in it...

someone123 Jun 4, 2008 3:03 AM

I don't think this one will be appealed by the Heritage Trust. It's quite short and has the brick cladding, etc.

I didn't know that Paramount Management ran these buildings but it was pretty clear that whoever did was not that interested in putting money into them.

It does suck to have to move frequently, and affordable housing is disappearing from this area as it becomes more upscale. Then again, parts of the North End are taking on a character similar to what the south part of Hollis was maybe 10 years ago. Not as close to the downtown and universities/hospitals/Spring Garden Road, however.

I hope NSP does something good with their lot.

spaustin Jun 4, 2008 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 3591607)
I don't think this one will be appealed by the Heritage Trust. It's quite short and has the brick cladding, etc.

I didn't know that Paramount Management ran these buildings but it was pretty clear that whoever did was not that interested in putting money into them.

It does suck to have to move frequently, and affordable housing is disappearing from this area as it becomes more upscale. Then again, parts of the North End are taking on a character similar to what the south part of Hollis was maybe 10 years ago. Not as close to the downtown and universities/hospitals/Spring Garden Road, however.

I hope NSP does something good with their lot.

I kind of think they'll mount some opposition, maybe not a full court battle as they have a pretty full plate, but maybe a URB appeal. I say this because I went on their walking tour earlier this year (lots of interesting facts) and they actually stopped and paid special attention to the building. They referenced it as one that was threatened and could be further imperiled by HRM by Design. I guess the building use to be a hotel and dates back to the mid-19th century. Its not registered, but that won't concern them since its not just about what's on the registry. The building's age, the stop on the walking tour and the neighbouring heritage properties makes me think they'll be mounting some kind of fight.

Agreed about NSP, they own everything else on the block so the ball falls in their court now. Hopefully they won't try and turn it into a parking garage for their proposed new hq on the Electropolis site. That would be a big waste.