SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austin (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   Downtown Austin Market News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189526)

KevinFromTexas May 3, 2011 10:05 PM

I wonder if they would consider the 823 Congress location.

Myomi May 4, 2011 4:45 AM

Rainey Street please! It should get bundled with a project in this neighborhood. Then it would be on the opposite side of town from Whole Foods and could serve both the emerging district and all the residential on the East Side of town.

KevinFromTexas May 19, 2011 7:33 PM

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...en_downto.html
Quote:

Brooks Brothers to open downtown store

By Shonda Novak | Thursday, May 19, 2011, 11:44 AM

Brooks Brothers is headed to downtown Austin, the latest national retailer to join the expanding shopping options in the city’s core.

The 200-year-old clothing retailer will open a 9,000- square- foot store this fall in the Scarbrough building on Congress at West Sixth Street, said Eric DeJernett, senior vice president with CB Richard Ellis Group Inc. who represented Brooks Brothers.

The store will have Congress Avenue frontage in one of Austin’s oldest skyscrapers, returning the space to its original use, DeJernett said.

MichaelB May 19, 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 5283937)

Ah Ha!!! Saw folks in there this morning looking around!

MichaelB May 19, 2011 10:12 PM

I love the fact that Brooks Brothers AND Urban Outfitters are moving into downtown! Nice diversity!

BTW.... if you haven't seen.... Urban has painted the construction walls at the corner of 2nd and Guadalupe to announce their store.

KevinFromTexas May 31, 2011 8:39 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...est-in-us.html
Quote:

Austonian hot spot among best in U.S., Esquire says

Austin Business Journal - by Cody Lyon
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 10:42am CDT

Cody Lyon
Staff Writer

Bar Congress at the foot of The Austonian on Second Street has garnered more national attention, this time as one of Esquire Magazine's "Best Bars in America."

The tiny lounge is nestled inside an 8,000-square-foot restaurant complex that includes Second Bar & Kitchen as well as Congress, a well-received restaurant headed up by local chef David Bull.

Apparently its working. A quick check of state comptroller receipts showed the place had one of the highest numbers in sales of all downtown food and beverage establishments this past month.

MichaelB May 31, 2011 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 5298974)

Well hell, there goes the neigborhood! LOL! Guess our favorite corner spot will get harder to get to! Damn.

migol24 May 31, 2011 10:39 PM

I wonder, when all is said and done and Seaholm and Greenwater Treatment finally get completed, how popular will the 2nd St. district become nationwide? How will it fare when it comes to other famous and well established hip and funky neighborhoods in the nation, a la SoHo, South Beach, French Quarter etc? Do you guys think that it will be worth all the "hype" that it's been getting? It's interesting because according to that article the New York Times is doing a piece on it.... that seems like a pretty big deal. I doubt that it will ever get as touristy though.

MichaelB Jun 1, 2011 3:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migol24 (Post 5299146)
I wonder, when all is said and done and Seaholm and Greenwater Treatment finally get completed, how popular will the 2nd St. district become nationwide? How will it fare when it comes to other famous and well established hip and funky neighborhoods in the nation, a la SoHo, South Beach, French Quarter etc? Do you guys think that it will be worth all the "hype" that it's been getting? It's interesting because according to that article the New York Times is doing a piece on it.... that seems like a pretty big deal. I doubt that it will ever get as touristy though.

Good Question.

Let me start by saying I like 2nd street.... so nothing in this is a dig. We ate at Traverna last night. (0ddly it was really quite... but for 3 large tables of tourists) But I would think it would not be compared to the above districts. Those are all very well established entertainment districts with more than a century of architecture, texture and businesses behind them. ( OK... South Beach not so old...but character galore! ) Second street is an engineered district, that while well done, has yet to prove if it will even reach it;s potential much less survive trend. So... while I think it's heading in a good direction AND the presence of ACL live will ensure the attraction. We will have to wait and see. Again, I like it and it has become one of my fav spots in downtown. So lets cross fingers that it continues to grow in interesting ways.

Oh, and realize buzz, publicists and who know who helps a lot when an establishment gets those kinds of recognition. David Bull is really smart and well connected.

Oh, and the Fired egg sandwich at 2nd is my fav hangover food in town... yes, I like it better than Wine Dive.

migol24 Jun 1, 2011 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 5299471)
Good Question.

Let me start by saying I like 2nd street.... so nothing in this is a dig. We ate at Traverna last night. (0ddly it was really quite... but for 3 large tables of tourists) But I would think it would not be compared to the above districts. Those are all very well established entertainment districts with more than a century of architecture, texture and businesses behind them. ( OK... South Beach not so old...but character galore! ) Second street is an engineered district, that while well done, has yet to prove if it will even reach it;s potential much less survive trend. So... while I think it's heading in a good direction AND the presence of ACL live will ensure the attraction. We will have to wait and see. Again, I like it and it has become one of my fav spots in downtown. So lets cross fingers that it continues to grow in interesting ways.

Oh, and realize buzz, publicists and who know who helps a lot when an establishment gets those kinds of recognition. David Bull is really smart and well connected.

Oh, and the Fired egg sandwich at 2nd is my fav hangover food in town... yes, I like it better than Wine Dive.

One thing that I sure hope doesn't happen is get overrun by chain stores. One of my biggest pet peeves about touristy spots like Union Square in San Francisco, or even Time Square is that the chain stores dominate. For whatever reason, it's still quite popular with tourists. There's nothing wrong with having chain stores, like for instance an Apple, or the Urban Outfitters thats planned. I'd just like for it to be trendy but at the same time have its own unique character just like all the shops, theaters and restaurants that are there now. I agree with your sentiment that its been growing in very interesting ways. Lambert's, La Condesa, Jo's Hot Coffee, Austin Java.... what a great selection within just a few blocks. BoConcept, Design within Reach... etc, etc. I hope that's the trend that will continue.

Btw, when will that New York Times article be released? Or has it been released already?

MichaelB Jun 1, 2011 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migol24 (Post 5299495)
One thing that I sure hope doesn't happen is get overrun by chain stores. One of my biggest pet peeves about touristy spots like Union Square in San Francisco, or even Time Square is that the chain stores dominate. For whatever reason, it's still quite popular with tourists. There's nothing wrong with having chain stores, like for instance an Apple, or the Urban Outfitters thats planned. I'd just like for it to be trendy but at the same time have its own unique character just like all the shops, theaters and restaurants that are there now. I agree with your sentiment that its been growing in very interesting ways. Lambert's, La Condesa, Jo's Hot Coffee, Austin Java.... what a great selection within just a few blocks. BoConcept, Design within Reach... etc, etc. I hope that's the trend that will continue.

Btw, when will that New York Times article be released? Or has it been released already?

I totally agree with you about chains... but it is funny how we have become tolerant of some chains! I have caught myself as well. I have even written to H and M and begged them to move downtown!

priller Jun 1, 2011 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 5299471)

I'll have to try that for my next hangover. Should be any day!

The wife and I like Second a lot, too. We had their Congress Burger with added smoked pork belly. :slob::slob::slob: Easily one of the best burgers I've ever had. We like the short rib pizza, too. And their mixed drinks are good. One time I sat their looking up all the strange ingredients on my phone while we were eating. Orgeat, Falernum, Scarlet Ibis. :shrug:

KevinFromTexas Jun 23, 2011 5:37 AM

I really like this idea. I'm all about recycling and putting a new use to old things.

By the way, there's another thread on the subject of shipping containers being re-used as buildings. See it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post5325578

http://www.austin360.com/food-drink/...m-1556363.html
Quote:

Next Rainey Street bar will be built from shipping containers

By Lori Hawkins
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Updated: 11:36 p.m. Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Published: 9:36 p.m. Wednesday, June 22, 2011

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/...ar_924191c.jpg
JAY KNOWLES
This model shows architect Jay Knowles' concept for a Rainey Street bar project called Container Bar. It will feature 10 metal shipping containers, each 40 feet long and 10 feet high, around a courtyard with a stage. The owner of three nearby bars, Bridget Dunlap, is behind the project.

Coming soon: Austin's first bar built from recycled metal shipping containers.

Container Bar, located on Rainey Street on downtown's southeastern edge, will feature 10 containers — each 40 feet long and 10 feet high — stacked on top of each other and arranged around a courtyard.

The interiors will be new, but the exteriors will retain their industrial look.

Austin architect Jay Knowles designed Container Bar, which will feature stacked containers at its 30-foot entrance. Each four-ton container will include bathrooms, air conditioning and LED lighting, and is big enough to hold 24 bar stools.

With construction starting next month, Container Bar is scheduled to open in January.

migol24 Jun 23, 2011 6:14 AM

And that's just another way to "keep austin weird".

KevinFromTexas Aug 1, 2011 3:13 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...ot-potato.html
Quote:

Spaghetti Warehouse site a hot potato

Austin Business Journal - by Cody Lyon , ABJ Staff
Date: Friday, July 29, 2011, 5:00am CDT - Last Modified: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 3:25pm CDT

It seems the former Spaghetti Warehouse building downtown has been more of a hot potato than a hot commodity lately.

Not long after Bear Creek Properties Ltd. bought the building at 117 W. Fourth St., it declined to renew the restaurant’s lease, only to flip the property to World Class Capital Group LLC about 30 days ago for an undisclosed price.

The building’s new owners, like the ones before, are hoping to attract a high-end restaurant or bar.

KevinFromTexas Aug 13, 2011 6:52 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...a-shop-in.html
Quote:

Limbo Jewelry to open a shop in downtown Austin

Austin Business Journal - by Vicky Garza , Staff writer
Date: Friday, August 12, 2011, 1:32pm CDT

Austin-based Limbo Jewelry Design is opening its first permanent shop downtown.
The jewelry company, started in 2005 by Edson Enriquez and Anne Rutt, will continue to sell its pieces in stores and museums throughout Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Chicago and New York.

The new store is expected to open Aug. 23 at 305 E. Fifth St.

KevinFromTexas Aug 13, 2011 6:57 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...-downtown.html
Quote:

City may aid pop-up stores downtown

City officials may amend city code to spur more pop-ups
Austin Business Journal - by Vicky Garza , ABJ Staff
Date: Friday, August 12, 2011, 5:00am CDT - Last Modified: Friday, August 12, 2011, 9:56am CDT

Temporary retail shops, such as the Apple Inc. pop-up store on Congress Avenue during South By Southwest, could soon become more common in downtown Austin.

The City Council has tasked the city manager’s office with looking into the possibility of amending city codes to allow businesses to temporarily occupy vacant spaces downtown.

KevinFromTexas Aug 13, 2011 8:02 AM

http://impactnews.com/central-austin...n-see-new-life
Quote:

Old Katz's Deli space in downtown Austin may soon see new life Old Katz's Deli space in downtown Austin may soon see new life

By Andrea Leptinsky
Wednesday, 10 August 2011

CENTRAL AUSTIN — After being acquired by local real estate group World Class Capital Group on July 29, the new owners of the former Katz's Deli space at 618 W. Sixth St. are now seeking new retail or restaurant occupants for the building.

"It was bought as an investment," said Matt Delahoussaye, WCCG assistant vice president. "We're pretty open on the use—there are a lot of restaurants and bars in the area. We are looking for a new tenant."

KevinFromTexas Aug 20, 2011 6:42 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...g-changes.html
Quote:

Austin considering office zoning changes
Austin Business Journal - by Vicky Garza , Staff Writer
Date: Friday, August 19, 2011, 12:47pm CDT

The Austin City Council will consider amending zoning codes to make it easier for personal services businesses to occupy certain office areas.

A resolution by Council Member Chris Riley, which the City Council approved Thursday, directs the city manger to explore whether to allow businesses such as hair salons, massage parlors and dry cleaners in spaces zoned as limited office.

KevinFromTexas Aug 20, 2011 6:44 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-store-to.html
Quote:

UT Co-op to add grocery store to Austin’s drag
Austin Business Journal - by Cody Lyon
Date: Friday, August 19, 2011, 2:48pm CDT

The University Co-op is opening a small grocery store on “The Drag” next month.
A firm opening date hasn’t been set, but University of Texas Cooperative Society, a nonprofit, said the 5,000-square-foot market will put an emphasis on healthy products and basic sundries.

The grocery story will be across the street from the UT Student Union at 2304 Guadalupe St. — just down the street from the flagship store that for decades has supplied students with school supplies and UT apparel.