SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Gordo is gone! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186285)

wrenegade Nov 3, 2010 6:35 PM

Gordo is gone!

Speculation on replacement?

mr.x Nov 3, 2010 6:42 PM

Nooooo.....come back! We've got no better alternative!!!

djh Nov 3, 2010 6:43 PM

I bet Dianne Watts' phone is melting right now.

Distill3d Nov 3, 2010 6:45 PM

No speculation, but lets hope he takes the HST with him.

Stingray2004 Nov 3, 2010 6:48 PM

Campbell was well past his "best before" political due date. If Dianne Watts gets the nod, I'm in. Watts was even voted who would make "Best BC Premier", by far, in an Angus Reid Strategies poll from last fall.

From an October 28, 2010 Province newspaper editorial:

Quote:

Dianne Watts! Please Save Our Province!

With the Campbell era limping to its self-inflicted death, with Carole Taylor off to SFU, and with NDP leader Carole James remaining stunningly unimpressive, Watts has emerged as the natural choice to lead B.C. She's honest, she's practical and cares about regular people.
http://www.theprovince.com/Dianne+Wa...#ixzz14FLtGsDH

Metro-One Nov 3, 2010 6:49 PM

BC really does have a bad case of no good leaders, or potential leaders right now.

go_leafs_go02 Nov 3, 2010 6:50 PM

Wow! All that speculation that he would remain on. This is shocking.

all due to the HST as well. Wonder if there's in-fighting in the Liberal Party that eventually pushed him to do this.

Distill3d Nov 3, 2010 6:59 PM

Well, I mean, I think in the end the guy realized that with 91% of the population wishing him to just up and pack up, he's realized that we've lost confidence in him as a leader. Its already shaping up to be the best decision he's made in his career.

djmk Nov 3, 2010 7:01 PM

Michael de Jong maybe next in line?
George Abbott?

However, tradition seems to call for former Vancouver Mayors... so maybe Philip Owen or Larry Campbell

Phil McAvity Nov 3, 2010 7:11 PM

Why is this in the Vancouver section? Shouldn't it be in the Alberta and BC section?

I guess everyone was so excited and surprised (myself included) that no one noticed it's in the wrong section.

quobobo Nov 3, 2010 7:11 PM

Times like this, I wish an econ primer was required before voting. It's really sad that a leader who raised consumption taxes (carbon and HST) and cut income taxes was rejected by the voting public. Hopefully he'll be replaced by someone charismatic who does little to change the policies implemented and announced so far.

GeeCee Nov 3, 2010 7:12 PM

Someone on CKNW speculated that John Furlong could possibly be a replacement..

usog Nov 3, 2010 7:16 PM

Can't be helped really. Oh well, he's been good to us over all imo, at least compared to the alternative *coughNDPcough* And yeah wonder who the successor will be...

DKaz Nov 3, 2010 7:22 PM

At least Ontario's smart enough not to fight the HST. This province is going down the pooper, 10% of us should expect to be on unemployment the next few years, hope we enjoy it!

mezzanine Nov 3, 2010 7:29 PM

Rich Coleman.

I would'nt put too much interest in Dianne Watts yet. She has some good vision for surrey WRT downtown, but IMO she has a carole taylor-like quality to her (when things get really tough, what will she do?). I know what happens to BC when charisma trumps administrative abilities....

Rich Coleman is a capable administrator who can get things done. He turned the housing ministry in a centre-right governemnt into a dynamic and well-funded ministry (woodwards would not have happened without him.)

http://www.vanmag.com/News_and_Featu...leman_Projects

twoNeurons Nov 3, 2010 7:52 PM

My bets on reducing the HST a few points.

Yume-sama Nov 3, 2010 7:57 PM

Will he give me back the thousands I've already paid in HST on his way out the door?

sacrifice333 Nov 3, 2010 8:01 PM

Really too bad. Good tax policy paired with horrid PR got his goose.

A real shame to lose such a great leader, in spite of his recent HST screw-up. He's done a lot of good for our province.

Hope the BC Liberal party can regroup so we don't have to suffer the lunacy of either the NDP or whatever Bill's calling his gang.

Yume-sama Nov 3, 2010 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacrifice333 (Post 5041655)
Really too bad. Good tax policy paired with horrid PR got his goose.

That's pretty much it. The mis-information campaign and assumptions of the general public (aided by the opposition, obviously) did nearly irreparable damage to the economy, stalling many sectors of it. If the economy wasn't too bad before the HST, the result certainly made things worse when people just stopped spending and buying.

Most people still seem to think it is HST + the taxes they were paying before. It's a "new" tax to them, not... GST & PST combined.

Most people are ignorant to the amount of taxes they pay, and that's a good thing for the government.

This is why taxes are usually taken out of your pay before you get it, because if people had to give it themselves they'd say "Holy *@*!"

zivan56 Nov 3, 2010 8:31 PM

Thank god, he embarrassed this province through countless scandals and blunders.