SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ontario (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Ontario Table and Chair, 19 fl, Proposed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153362)

BusyBerliner Jun 26, 2008 3:23 PM

144 Park St. / 67 m / 19 fl / Proposed

Here's some exciting news..

The owners of the Ontario Table and Chair site at Allen and Caoroline in Waterloo (behind the Bauer Lofts) have applied for a zone change and official plan amendment to allow high density residential.

They want to build a 19-storey condo tower, with a 3-storey podium base - faced with townhouses.

There will be one level of underground parking, with three levels of parking above ground. Three-storey townhouse units will front onto Park and Allen Streets and will hide all the parking. I think the roof of the parking structure will be landscaped common space.

Not sure about the exact number of units.

I haven't seen any plans or renderings and am still not sure if they're planning to keep the old building. Hopefully they plan to integrate it with the podium.

I'll post more details if I can find out more.

Ktown4ever Jun 26, 2008 4:04 PM

It would be a real 'crime' if they did not retain the original building.

koops65 Jun 26, 2008 7:03 PM

Good News! More density along King St. Lets hope this is a sign of more high-rises to follow...

BusyBerliner Jun 26, 2008 8:34 PM

As far as I know, this project will only be residential - which is ok. Its not right on King, nor is it right Uptown.

This propject will certainly help support all the retail going into the Bauer site accross the street.

KitchenerBitcher Jun 26, 2008 8:42 PM

That's Great news! I just drove by this building yesterday aft and thought that it is a great looking building. Hopefully they redevelop that existing building along with the condo tower. This project along with theBauer lofts, would create a neighbourhood of nicely mixed new and old buildings. Jane Jacobs would be proud!

Cambridgite Jun 26, 2008 11:39 PM

Nice! Not only will that add more people into the area, but it will also create a sort of 'mini-skyline' next to Clarica and the U/C Bauer loft building. I like! :yes:

If anyone has a rendering, do show!!

kitchener-lrt Jun 26, 2008 11:43 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the original Ontario Table and Chair building?

metropolis Jun 27, 2008 5:08 AM

Though I would loathe to see the old building go I've heard since my post a few weeks ago regarding this project in the small news forum that the table chair building would likely not be kept. Let’s hope the heritage department has something to say about that... though not at the cost of what sounds like a great project.

BusyBerliner Jun 27, 2008 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchener-lrt (Post 3638202)
Does anyone have a picture of the original Ontario Table and Chair building?

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1214574263

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1214574501

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1214574472

ForestryW Jun 29, 2008 5:26 PM

I knew something was up when the existing business announced it was closing. I'd be severly disappointed if they didnt incorporate the existing building into this new plan, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

vid Jun 29, 2008 10:07 PM

That's a neat little building. :)

kidgibnick Jun 30, 2008 3:50 AM

Although this building is great and historic, I was told that there would be extraordinary costs associated with converting the current building into lofts, as there are high costs to even maintain the current building/keeping it up to code etc...which explains why the building is being torn down. The owners do, however, see the value of the land and it's potential to aid uptown development. I think this could be another exciting project :)

BusyBerliner Jul 1, 2008 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidgibnick (Post 3643718)
...which explains why the building is being torn down.

Lets hope not. As far as I know, no demo permits have been issued and its not too late to save the building - or at least bits of it.

I still haven't seen or heard of any renderings or even a site plan, so I haven't been able to confirm that they want to tear down that beauty. At the very least they should consider preserving the facade and incorporating it into the podium.

myfaceisonfire Aug 26, 2008 1:39 PM

Quote:

http://media.therecord.com/images/f6...060364153.jpeg
Aging industrial site could be demolished

August 26, 2008
Liz Monteiro
RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO

The owner of a downtown factory dating back to the First World War wants to tear it down and build a 19-storey condominium building.

A development proposal to rezone 21 Allen St. W. from industrial to multi-residential is before city planners.

The three-storey building is now home to Ontario Table and Chair Co.

It's owned by Randy Kinat, who did not return phone calls from The Record yesterday.

Dale Wideman, chair of the city's heritage committee, said he's concerned about the proposal to tear down the red brick building, which was erected in 1913.

"This building was located in the industrial heart of Waterloo,'' said Wideman, who was notified of the development proposal during a meeting at city hall about a month ago.

The old factory, not far from the Bauer lofts development, is not designated as a heritage property, nor is it recognized for its heritage or cultural value.

The factory was the original home of the Quality Mattress Co. The name was changed to Waterloo Bedding Co.in 1921.

The building is considered a mill construction with sturdy beams and posts, said Marg Rowell, city heritage committee member.

Rowell said the lack of designation does not mean the building isn't of significant value.

"There is nothing I can do especially with the attitude of council right now,'' Wideman said. "It's a foregone conclusion that it (the building) will be removed.''

Wideman said he was disappointed at last week's council meeting when politicians voted to defer a proposal to establish a list of heritage buildings. The committee had recommended 35 buildings be recognized for their heritage value and their historical significance.

The 35 properties were built before 1857, the year Waterloo was incorporated as a village.

Some owners told councillors they were worried a heritage registry could decrease the property values of their buildings. Council then shelved the plan which is expected to return to a council committee meeting on Oct. 6.

Scott Amos, director of development approvals for the City of Waterloo, said the rezoning application for the Allen Street West building will go through a complete development process, the same as any other proposal.

An informal public meeting will be held at a council committee meeting on Sept. 8.

The proposal also includes three houses on Park Street adjacent to the Allen Street building which could also be demolished.

Amos said the owner is also considering a heritage assessment of the property although the city does not require it.

Amos said the owner's proposal follows city policies and fits in with the city's plan to intensify its core area.

"If this was a heritage property, we would be having a different discussion,'' he said. "It's a neat-looking building . . . but every property-owner has existing legal rights to his/her property."

Kinat started his furniture business in 1985 and about 12 years ago moved the business into the Allen Street West building, which was empty.
Tough loss to be sure but I'd be happy to see another 19 story condo. It will make a nice backdrop to King St in Waterloo looking south combined with Bauer and Clarica.

WatDot Aug 26, 2008 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfaceisonfire (Post 3759220)
Tough loss to be sure but I'd be happy to see another 19 story condo. It will make a nice backdrop to King St in Waterloo looking south combined with Bauer and Clarica.

Ditto.
As long as Jamesway won't be the builder. :haha:

Ktown4ever Aug 26, 2008 1:55 PM

I think this speaks to a real lack of creativity on behalf of the developer. Sure there are costs in converting, and it would be much simpler to tear down and build....but today's consumer is willing to pay more for a condo with a historical component. Could be a lost opportunity.

0sprey Aug 26, 2008 4:04 PM

i agree that people will pay a premium for a 'converted' historical loft. however, even with that in mind, the profit potential of a 19 story condo compared to a 3 story historically based loft are quite large.

and after all, they're all in it for the money right? ;)

Brenden Aug 26, 2008 4:18 PM

it's a shame to see that go, here is a stupid question why not move it? yes it would be crazy expensive but its a nice building that I am sure would work for a small office complex or a small loft development. or even better take it apart and incorporate it into the building some how.

those red stone buildings are a shame to lose.

BusyBerliner Aug 26, 2008 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenden (Post 3759502)
or even better take it apart and incorporate it into the building some how.

those red stone buildings are a shame to lose.

I expect that they'll use the salvaged materials somehow. If not in the structure then in the landscaping. It's pretty standard paractice now with any project where heritage is an issue. It serves as both a marketing/branding feature and as a small gensture/consolation prize for the heritage advocates. It may be a pretty building, but the city has had many years to designate it and for many years have chosen not to. It'll be shame to loose, but it seems to be for a good cause. I'm sure there would be more outrage if they wanted to nock it down to build a 711.

As for the adjacent bauer site, that building was never designated and the owner wasn't required to keep it. they chose to keep it i assume partly for the marketing and architectural reasons, but also as a gesture or barganing chip to improve their chances of getting the zoning and official plan approvals they needed.

Cambridgite Aug 26, 2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0sprey (Post 3759472)
i agree that people will pay a premium for a 'converted' historical loft. however, even with that in mind, the profit potential of a 19 story condo compared to a 3 story historically based loft are quite large.

and after all, they're all in it for the money right? ;)

Exactly. If it was one or the other, I'll pick the 19 storey tower any day. Of course, the ideal is that the 3 storey loft could be incorporated into a new tower a la Bauer lofts.