SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   Forum Meets (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203373)

Ayreonaut Jan 7, 2013 5:17 PM

Forum Meets

Hey all, I've discussed this idea in the past both on the forum and on Facebook, and decided to wait until after the holidays to post anything. As it turns out, we have our own section now which works well for threads such as this.

SSP is really quite a tight community and we all have similar interests which lend to enjoyable discussions about a variety of issues and topics. Forumers in other cities often gather a few times annually for some drinks and good conversation. I was finally able to attend my first Calgary meet last summer and we ended up being 14 strong, and it was a blast. I think I've met about ten more members throughout North American and Europe as well, and it's always a good time.

However, I've not yet met any of the St. John's SSP community (I had lunch with HIMS a couple times when I first moved here in 2010, but he was in the process of moving back to Regina and is no longer here). So I'm creating this thread just so the idea is more visible and 'out there'. Personally, I'm almost always up for some drinks or a photo-taking, sightseeing walk about town, and I'm sure some others would be interested as well.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that most of my friends zone out about 30 seconds into my ramblings about transit routes, curtainwalls, and sustainable development, so this would provide a nice opportunity to talk about such things with people who actually share our love of all things urban.

:cheers:

jeddy1989 Jan 7, 2013 5:22 PM

AWESOME idea!

SignalHillHiker Jan 7, 2013 5:23 PM

I so wanted to make a, "Are you hitting on me? ;) It's a date!" joke but I'm really not that guy - and don't want to be, ha.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm definitely up for it - especially if it refers to a few drinks and great conversation downtown.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 7, 2013 9:30 PM

The Duke is always a nice place for a few drinks and discussion, though I feel like that place is becoming a popular spot for those hipster kids who feel like not going to the Ship

SignalHillHiker Jan 7, 2013 9:31 PM

When are you next back, Marty? If it's anytime soon, we could aim for then.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 7, 2013 9:38 PM

I'm not back until July, feel free to go ahead without me. We could try and aim for another meet closer to my arrival :tup:

Ayreonaut Jan 7, 2013 9:43 PM

I feel like the Duke, Grapevine, Franklin Hotel, and Underbelly would all be decent locations, depending on how many we would be (the last one being rather small). They're quieter than most of what you'll find in town, which I prefer anyway, but especially since we'd want to be able to talk without shouting or passing messages down a line or something.

FWIW, I'm free pretty much any time until probably April, so whatever date and time works for other people would probably work for me.

SignalHillHiker Jan 7, 2013 9:45 PM

Same here. Except Paddy's Day. And I'd rank those four options:

1. Underbelly
2. Grapevine
3. Duke
4. Franklin

Copes Jan 8, 2013 12:02 PM

I'd be quite interested in a meet up, actually. I've been thinking it for a while.

Ayreonaut Jan 9, 2013 2:03 AM

So there are at least four interested forumers in town these days? That would be a decent first outing. Speaking for myself, something within the next month and a half would be great. Come late Feb through April I might be quite busy with papers and midterms/final exams.

SignalHillHiker Jan 9, 2013 2:07 AM

Anytime is fine for me too. I work until at least 6 most days. After that - or earlier on Saturday/Sunday - I'm free.

Ayreonaut Jan 9, 2013 2:28 AM

And for me Sunday and Tuesday nights are out. Everything else is golden.

jeddy1989 Jan 9, 2013 2:30 AM

I work till 5 mon to fri :)

SignalHillHiker Jan 9, 2013 2:49 AM

O.K... someone just go for it, propose a date and time and place, and we'll see if everyone agrees. :)

Ayreonaut Jan 9, 2013 7:42 PM

Since I'm so flexible I tend to avoid setting dates/times, but perhaps I can help narrow it down a tad. This weekend is probably too soon and too sloppy weather-wise, so either of the next two Fridays or Saturdays?

January 18th, 19th, 25th, or 26th?

SignalHillHiker Jan 9, 2013 7:44 PM

Likewise, they all work for me.

jeddy1989 Jan 9, 2013 7:45 PM

works for me too :)

Ayreonaut Jan 10, 2013 1:51 AM

Haha, well the three of us are too easy. Copes (or anyone else), are you interested for this one? If so, do any of those days (not) work for you?

Copes Jan 10, 2013 12:27 PM

All dates work for me. My work schedule is a pretty basic Monady - Friday, 8-5 sort of schedule so any time on the weekend always works.

SignalHillHiker Jan 10, 2013 12:44 PM

Oh my God, this is ridiculous. :haha:

January 18th it is. Where are we going?