SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=285)
-   -   McMaster University (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152302)

SteelTown Jun 5, 2008 5:57 PM

McMaster University

Figured I should create a separate special thread for anything related to McMaster University, especially McMaster developments. There are separate threads for specific McMaster developments such as Innovation Park and the new Engineering building.

SteelTown Jun 5, 2008 6:01 PM

Project Status Report
As of May 7, 2008

Project and Budget Approved

Engineering building - February 2009 - ($38 million) Tower crane has been removed. Mechanical and electrical rough ins 15% complete. Curtain Wall installation to commence in May 2008.

McMaster front entrance - Summer 2008 - ($5 million) Design work complete. First stage of landscaping to be implemented with construction of the new Engineering building in 2009.

Burke Science Building - Spring 2008 - ($41 million)

Ronald V Joyce Stadium - February 2008 - ($33,500,000) Garage is complete and being occupied. Stadium participant section work 95% complete. Stadium 96% seating completed. Turf subbase work completed. Turf installation has commenced.

MDCL 2nd floor fitout - Summer 2009 - ($26 million) Working drawings complete. RFP for construction manager has closed. Developing detailed cost estimate and schedule with Construction Manager.

Thode Library Learning Commons - ($850,000) Phase 1 (ground floor renovation) is in design stage amd work to commence this May.

Project not Approved and Budget Pending

Main Entrace Building Complex for the Faclties for Engineering Science, & health Sciences (Phase 2)

Burlington campus - Fall 2009 - ($35 million) Business plan and functional plan currently being developed. Alternate locations from the original downtown location are being considered.

Under consideration

Liberal Arts Building - Functional programme development to be completed in Spring 2008

For future consideration

Above Ground Parking Structure - On hold pending a campus wide parking review

Sports Arena - Would be looked at offsite

Tennis Courts

oldcoote Jun 5, 2008 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 3595065)
For future consideration

Above Ground Parking Structure - On hold pending a campus wide parking review

Tennis Courts

More parking? Seems like an archaic solution to a problem they created.

Arena? Amazed they don't have one. I heard they were going to get a men's hocey team again. The Coronation arena should be torn down and replaced with a double rink, partially funded by MAC.

FairHamilton Jun 5, 2008 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 3595065)

Get a NHL team for Hamilton and they can piggyback off a new downtown arena for the hockey team. As I mentioned in the 'hockey' thread, if the NHL can to Hamilton Copps should be replaced with an up-to-date arena within the first 5 years (ground breaking in first 5 years).

markbarbera Jun 5, 2008 7:47 PM

I can see Mac partnering with Hamilton Bulldogs to build a new 5000-seat arena to house them both. A renovated Copps will be exclusive home for any future NHL team and simply too large a venue for a varsity team.

SteelTown Jun 5, 2008 7:54 PM

I also have a feeling Mac wants a new aquatic centre. I could see the City and Mac partnering up for a big Sports Complex. Perhaps that's the idea behind the Pan Am bid.

SteelTown Jun 5, 2008 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcoote (Post 3595144)
More parking? Seems like an archaic solution to a problem they created.

It's for employees. There isn’t enough parking for McMaster's staff. For example I have to park with the students across from Cootes Drive and hop on a shuttle bus to get to work. They want to build a parking garage by Sterling Avenue Entrance (close to the Student Centre), currently it's a surface parking lot that has a fixed rate of $20, most expensive parking lot in the city. Across is where they intend to build the new Liberal Arts Building.

FairHamilton Jun 5, 2008 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbarbera (Post 3595276)
I can see Mac partnering with Hamilton Bulldogs to build a new 5000-seat arena to house them both. A renovated Copps will be exclusive home for any future NHL team and simply too large a venue for a varsity team.

I agree a full size arena would be way too large for a varsity team, but I was thinking more along the lines that inventive/creative minds could figure out a good work around.

matt602 Jun 5, 2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbarbera (Post 3595276)

That seems like a perfect solution to me if an NHL team does end up coming here... otherwise Copps would be losing out on major attendance bringer. Bulldogs games aren't attended as well as they should be, but I don't think Copps can afford to lose the team unless an NHL team replaces them.

BCTed Jun 6, 2008 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt602 (Post 3595845)
That seems like a perfect solution to me if an NHL team does end up coming here... otherwise Copps would be losing out on major attendance bringer. Bulldogs games aren't attended as well as they should be, but I don't think Copps can afford to lose the team unless an NHL team replaces them.

I don't imagine that the Bulldogs would continue to stay in Hamilton if an NHL team were to ever come to town.

matt602 Jun 6, 2008 6:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCTed (Post 3596209)
I don't imagine that the Bulldogs would continue to stay in Hamilton if an NHL team were to ever come to town.

I forgot about that indeed.

FairHamilton Jun 6, 2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

I know it's a different market, but Toronto still has the Marlies. Perhaps the Bulldogs would look at moving to one of the surrounding communities that doesn't have a team.

SteelTown Jun 6, 2008 12:59 PM

It's no secret the Bulldogs would like to relocate to Burlington.

oldcoote Jun 6, 2008 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 3595307)
It's for employees. There isn’t enough parking for McMaster's staff. For example I have to park with the students across from Cootes Drive and hop on a shuttle bus to get to work. They want to build a parking garage by Sterling Avenue Entrance (close to the Student Centre), currently it's a surface parking lot that has a fixed rate of $20, most expensive parking lot in the city. Across is where they intend to build the new Liberal Arts Building.

I honestly think they'd have a real battle on their hands with Westdale residents if they tried to pull that.

oldcoote Jun 6, 2008 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 3596783)
It's no secret the Bulldogs would like to relocate to Burlington.

or Montreal.

LikeHamilton Jun 6, 2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

The bulldogs’ agreement with the city is that they have to move out when a NHL team moves in.

I meet the President of the Bulldogs, Glenn Stanford at the end of April at a function. He has been in hockey for about 20 years, about 14 with the Leaf’s organization. I asked his opinion about an NHL team coming to Hamilton and what he felt it would do after spending almost 2 years here and his knowledge of hockey. He said they would have no trouble filling the arena and the team would do well financially. He said not to look at the bulldogs as an indicator as the AHL does not do well in most big cities.

SteelTown Jun 8, 2008 11:47 PM

During Braley's visit on Friday I manage to take some pictures from my cell. This equipment is the only one in Canada, it will map out the entire stem cell in the human body into a library, worth millions. All of this is from Braley's donation, so obviously the money is flowing.

Canada Arm technology I believe. You should see how fast the arm moves and carries out the experiment.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...6/SSPX0101.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...6/SSPX0100.jpg

Labs under construction
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...6/SSPX0098.jpg

Blueprint
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...6/SSPX0103.jpg

SteelTown Jul 11, 2008 1:52 PM

John Wilkinson, Ontario Minister of Research and Innovation, will be at McMaster on Monday morning. Don't know if they'll be a funding announcement or just a photo op.

SteelTown Jul 11, 2008 3:37 PM

Yep, a funding announcement is set for Monday morning.

SteelTown Aug 25, 2008 7:49 PM

David Braley, government officials including Tony Clement, Federal Health Minister will be making a visit to McMaster tomorrow afternoon. I don't know yet if it'll be a funding announcement or a photo-op.