SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Zidell Block 8 | xx' | xx floors | Cancelled (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231680)

MarkDaMan Jan 8, 2018 8:04 PM

Zidell Block 8 | xx' | xx floors | Cancelled

Zidells pick renowned Portland architect to design first S. Waterfront building
By Jon Bell – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
Jan 8, 2018, 8:00am PST

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...644&j=79468941

Quote:

The Portland architecture firm behind such notable local projects as Hassalo on Eighth, the Brewery Blocks and Broadway Tower, will now design the first new building in the South Waterfront's Zidell Yards.

ZRZ Realty Company, the real estate arm of the Zidell family business, has chosen GBD Architects as the architect of record for the project. San Francisco architects SCB will be the design firm.

The new development will rise from Block 8, which sits between the existing barge building long used by Zidell Marine Corporation and the Ross Island Bridge. It will include a mixed-use podium and two residential towers.
...(continues)

maccoinnich Jan 16, 2018 8:12 PM

GBD Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss Zidell Block 8:

Quote:

Current Code: Proposed project will be a phased mixed use development containing two high rise residential towers and two levels of below-grade parking for a total area of approx. 798,000 SF. Each of the towers will include 250-300 units of multi-family housing subject to inclusionary housing requirements.

MarkDaMan Jan 16, 2018 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccoinnich (Post 8048924)
GBD Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss Zidell Block 8:

That's a pretty large development! Can't wait to see some preliminary thoughts on what they are proposing.

ORNative Jan 17, 2018 4:58 PM

So, I was wondering where "Block 8" was located. It is between the barge building (Block 7) and the Ross Island Bridge. It looks like it is the same footprint as the barge building. I found the information in a DEC 2016 presentation by Zidell to the City. Couldn't figure out how to get a .pdf into a photo on here, so I've tried to post a link to the presentation. Looks like you'll have to download it, but very good and simplified overview of the plans - http://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/Rec.../File/Document

maccoinnich Jan 26, 2018 8:59 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference

MarkDaMan Jan 27, 2018 4:13 AM

^Very interesting. I'm excited to learn more detail. 3 elevators per each residential lobby generally would point to a higher rise. My very quick back of the napkin math estimates around 40 floors in total between the two towers. This is estimating 16,000 sqft per tower floor above the 166,000 sqft for parking.

urbanlife Jan 27, 2018 7:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDaMan (Post 8062985)
^Very interesting. I'm excited to learn more detail. 3 elevators per each residential lobby generally would point to a higher rise. My very quick back of the napkin math estimates around 40 floors in total between the two towers. This is estimating 16,000 sqft per tower floor above the 166,000 sqft for parking.

I don't like it, it sounds like it will block my view of the Ross Island Bridge. /s

Leo Jan 29, 2018 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDaMan (Post 8062985)

Maybe. The Burlington Apartments in Pearl District have 3 elevators for only 10 floors...

MarkDaMan Jan 29, 2018 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo (Post 8065106)
Maybe. The Burlington Apartments in Pearl District have 3 elevators for only 10 floors...

True, but the 3 elevators per tower is just one clue to height. Given the approximate total square footage of the development minus parking, that would make the floor plates for each tower over 30,000 square feet (not estimating a podium in this scenario) if they were only going to be 10 floors high. That's really large floorplates for residential.

I don't know anything more than anybody else officially, but all signs point to a significant development. Thankfully it does not look like it will be another 1 or 2+5 wood frame building.

ORNative Jan 31, 2018 4:56 PM

The most recent concept drawings for the overall development at the Zidell Yards website shows two towers on top of a podium

cronked Feb 8, 2018 7:11 PM

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled by GBD Architects to discuss Zidell Block 8:

Current Code: Proposed project will be a phased mixed use development containing two high rise residential towers and two levels of below-grade parking for a total area of approx. 798,000 SF. Each of the towers will include 250-300 units of multi-family housing subject to inclusionary housing requirements.

Large buildings. For comparison purposes, here is some info I found on the John Ross:

CLIENT: John Ross Condos
SIZE: 527,413 square feet
COST: $90 million construction

Reyes Engineering, Inc. provided the electrical engineering design of the John Ross Tower, a 31 story high-rise located in Portland’s South Waterfront District.

The beatifully designed 325 ft. tall, 292 units elliptical building is one of the signature buildings revitalizing and reshaping the South Waterfront skyline. The buildings space of 527,413 total square feet, offers two levels of below grade parking, suitable for 309 cars. The ground level offers 20,153 square feet of retail space, public lobby, recycling center, and loading area. The project accomplished LEED GOLD.

urbanlife Feb 9, 2018 8:01 AM

Good to see news for two new towers to go in at SoWa.

cronked Jun 6, 2018 4:33 PM

This link may be behind a paywall but it lets you see the rendering. This all appears very preliminary. One Gantry Plaza would be 19 stories, 500,000 square feet of office space plus ground level grocery. Some retail space and likely a restaurant. Moody & Grover St, Block 4. 675 parking spaces underground. 2022 opening.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...rst-south.html

johnliu Jun 10, 2018 3:13 PM

I'm confused if there are one or two Ziddel projects? The same gantry rendering is showing up in two threads.

MarkDaMan Jun 10, 2018 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnliu (Post 8216257)
I'm confused if there are one or two Ziddel projects? The same gantry rendering is showing up in two threads.

Yeah, there's some thread confusion. There is a preapp for a 2-tower residential project on block 8 that is a 798,000 sq ft housing development AND Gantry which is a 500,000 sq ft office project. They're right next to each other. I'll move posts to make the threads clean when I have a moment.

winstonLT5 Jun 22, 2018 10:48 PM

Uh oh.

https://i.imgur.com/IRunYtY.png

winstonLT5 Jun 22, 2018 10:59 PM

Everything's on hold.
Quote:

Zidell family suspends development of South Waterfront land
Updated 3:47 PM; Posted 3:47 PM
By Elliot Njus enjus@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Negotiations between Portland officials and the Zidell family over plans for the family's South Waterfront land appear to have collapsed, for now torpedoing a highly anticipated 33-acre development...
(Continues)

pdxsg34 Jun 22, 2018 11:24 PM

Very disappointing news. I wonder how much IZ factored into this. Plazas, parks, AND affordable housing might be too tall of an order by the city, even with the greenway and street additions, and especially given the scope of the development.

I hope they find a happy medium soon. SOWA needs this developed.

maccoinnich Jun 23, 2018 12:02 AM

I've been hearing rumors of this for the past few weeks, but am kind of surprised they put out a press release to announce it.

Derek Jun 23, 2018 1:33 AM

Could this just be posturing? Will the construction of the road near the Tilikum Bridge abruptly halt? Hooray for another 5-10 years of empty dirt lots!