SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   2019 CFL Season (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=237190)

esquire Feb 4, 2019 2:02 AM

^ Bombers must be right off the charts? ;)

The Stamps could have a thing of beauty if they toned down the busy-ness of it all and went back to red and white with a dash of silver. Black could even work if they toned it down.

I think the Argos have a great, very simple and traditional look.

Sask can't go to dark green because that's Edmonton's colour.

isaidso Feb 4, 2019 3:13 AM

As soon as I saw that you'd posted last I realized I'd forgotten the Bombers. I'll slot them in.

With uniforms, simple is usually better. Regarding colours, there are lots of teams that share a colour. Hamilton, BC, and Ottawa all use black. Calgary, Montreal, and Ottawa all have red. In both these cases the shade is practically the same. The yellow and white would differentiate between Edmonton and Saskatchewan as would design elements and helmet. One sees lots of this in NCAA and USports too.

That said, I suspect the Schooners will use blue if they become the 10th team. There's enough blue already.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 4, 2019 1:09 PM

I do like the Montreal scarf.

esquire Feb 12, 2019 1:49 PM

Happy CFL free agency day!

Rumours are flying that the two most high profile QBs on the list, Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly, will be going to Toronto and BC respectively for $2+ million, 3 year deals.

(I guess it's more than rumours at this point... just about every CFL source out there is claiming these signings will happen)

HomeInMyShoes Feb 12, 2019 2:19 PM

I look forward to the Riders signing some more depth cornerbacks and maybe a lineman.

I hate Toronto. Just slightly more than I hate BC. :haha:

The S'toon Goon Feb 12, 2019 4:41 PM

Wouldn't be the first high profile qb to leave Calgary for Toronto. Not sure Bo Levi Mitchell is on the same level as Doug Flutie but probably the closest thing to it. If it does come to fruition the Argos would have a bona fide star to market around and maybe that gets a few more butts in the seats.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 12, 2019 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon (Post 8470882)
Wouldn't be the first high profile qb to leave Calgary for Toronto. Not sure Bo Levi Mitchell is on the same level as Doug Flutie but probably the closest thing to it. If it does come to fruition the Argos would have a bona fide star to market around and maybe that gets a few more butts in the seats.

Wasn't Ricky Ray supposed to be that star previously?

esquire Feb 12, 2019 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8470909)
Wasn't Ricky Ray supposed to be that star previously?

In my CFL fandom going back to 1990, Matt Dunigan, Kent Austin, Doug Flutie, Damon Allen, Kerry Joseph and Ricky Ray have all played that part.

Basically if you're a MOP CFL quarterback, chances are you're going to spend at least some of the downslope of your career in Toronto.

They barely paid any attention to Flutie during his time as an Argo, and he went directly from there to becoming a NFL starter who made it to the pro bowl the very next season, so he was still at the top of his game. If they didn't notice that, I'm not sure what difference having BLM will make. Might as well have just kept Drew Willy and saved some money!

VANRIDERFAN Feb 12, 2019 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8470981)
In my CFL fandom going back to 1990, Matt Dunigan, Kent Austin, Doug Flutie, Damon Allen, Kerry Joseph and Ricky Ray have all played that part.

Basically if you're a MOP CFL quarterback, chances are you're going to spend at least some of the downslope of your career in Toronto.

They barely paid any attention to Flutie during his time as an Argo, and he went directly from there to becoming a NFL starter who made it to the pro bowl the very next season, so he was still at the top of his game. If they didn't notice that, I'm not sure what difference having BLM will make. Might as well have just kept Drew Willy and saved some money!

Toronto ignored Flutie as an Argo but claimed him as their own when he was a Buffalo Bill.
Oh well, shiny baubles and all that!

HomeInMyShoes Feb 12, 2019 7:32 PM

Reilly to BC. William Powell to Saskatchewan.

So we'll solve the QB problem by hoping to run the ball with an aging RB. Sigh. RBs are cheap and younger ones are always available. Smart move by Ottawa as Powell is 30 years old now. Hoping he doesn't fall off like many backs do in the twilight, but not a really brilliant move.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 12, 2019 7:33 PM

Harris to Edmonton

That's most of the major pieces assuming BLM is resigning with Calgary when he comes back.

esquire Feb 12, 2019 7:42 PM

BC is really loading up on talent. They should be pretty ferocious this year... I'm sorry to see the Bombers lose Sukh Chungh to the Lions, that's a big hole in the OL.

I don't get how the cap math adds up for BC, but that's a question for another day.

So where does BLM land? If the twitterverse is to be believed, Sask is in the running along with Toronto and Calgary.

Horus Feb 12, 2019 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8471241)
Harris to Edmonton

That's most of the major pieces assuming BLM is resigning with Calgary when he comes back.

WR Greg Ellingson is going with Trevor Harris to Edmonton too.

Ottawa is going to look very different this season

elly63 Feb 12, 2019 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8471260)
So where does BLM land? If the twitterverse is to be believed, Sask is in the running along with Toronto and Calgary.

Bringing back Bo: Stampeders re-sign franchise QB Bo Levi Mitchell
Justin Dunk 3downnation February 12, 2019

The Calgary Stampeders have agreed to terms on re-signing quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, per sources.

It was a three-team competition for Mitchell between the Stamps, Toronto Argonauts and Saskatchewan Roughriders. Calgary bumped their offer up Monday night while the Argos and Riders presented Mitchell with a large offers after free agency kicked off.

Ultimately, Mitchell chose to stay in the established winning environment with head coach Dave Dickenson and general manager John Hufnagel.

Mitchell capped yet another stellar season in 2018 by leading the Stampeders to a CFL championship. The 28-year-old became the first player in league history to throw for more than 5,000 yards without having a single receiver record 1,000 yards. Despite an ever-changing receiving core, Mitchell adapted on the fly and still led the CFL in touchdown passes with 35.

NFL teams were buzzing with interest in December as Mitchell worked out for seven NFL teams and even more wanted to bring him into their facilities. But the guaranteed money wasn’t where it needed to be for Mitchell to feel as though he had a legitimate shot to compete for a backup or starting job.

Mitchell is the face of the franchise in Calgary having won two Grey Cups, two CFL title game MVP awards and two CFL MOP trophies on his resume. He originally signed with Calgary in 2012, spent that season as the third-string quarterback. Mitchell started his first CFL game in 2013 and earned the full-time number one quarterback role in 2014.

Calgary is where Mitchell developed into a star and the Stampeders keep the franchise quarterback in Cowtown for the prime years of his career and build a long lasting legacy.

esquire Feb 12, 2019 9:03 PM

At this point, it looks like the west is going to own the 2019 season.

elly63 Feb 12, 2019 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 8471275)
WR Greg Ellingson is going to Edmonton too.

Holy smokes, two years at 250k per. Makes me wonder what his former "bud" Brad Sinopoli is worth.

Some speculation that BLM's total income could have been 1 million in Sask, 700k salary and the rest in endorsements, etc.

I can't think that an astute guy like Ottawa GM Marcel Desjardins could lose that much talent without something in reserve. Ellingson and particularly Powell on the back nine? They used to say that was Wally Buono's greatest talent, getting rid of a guy at the exact right time for the highest value.

25grapes Feb 12, 2019 9:26 PM

I guess there's no point in paying for a CFL jersey with a name on it, you'll get two years worth max.

esquire Feb 12, 2019 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25grapes (Post 8471465)
I guess there's no point in paying for a CFL jersey with a name on it, you'll get two years worth max.

There's some truth to that. It's annoying. The one year contract should be eliminated.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 12, 2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8471429)
Holy smokes, two years at 250k per. Makes me wonder what his former "bud" Brad Sinopoli is worth.

Some speculation that BLM's total income could have been 1 million in Sask, 700k salary and the rest in endorsements, etc.

I can't think that an astute guy like Ottawa GM Marcel Desjardins could lose that much talent without something in reserve. Ellingson and particularly Powell on the back nine? They used to say that was Wally Buono's greatest talent, getting rid of a guy at the exact right time for the highest value.

Powell is on the back nine. 30 years old for a running back is pushing your luck for injury or just a complete drop in speed and power. The other factor is running backs are pretty easily replaced by reasonable talent. There are lots of decent running backs in college that given a decent line can do a lot of damage. Speed and power are what they need. Every now and then there's someone like Barry Sanders, but for the most part great rushing seasons are more a function of the o-line and ball control than the actual back.

Saskatchewan had a few seasons where whomever we put in the back field was gold, but that was because of the o-line and a QB that could control the ball and wear the defense down.

jawagord Feb 12, 2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8471529)
Powell is on the back nine. 30 years old for a running back is pushing your luck for injury or just a complete drop in speed and power. The other factor is running backs are pretty easily replaced by reasonable talent. There are lots of decent running backs in college that given a decent line can do a lot of damage. Speed and power are what they need. Every now and then there's someone like Barry Sanders, but for the most part great rushing seasons are more a function of the o-line and ball control than the actual back.

Saskatchewan had a few seasons where whomever we put in the back field was gold, but that was because of the o-line and a QB that could control the ball and wear the defense down.

To paraphrase Charlie Brown in the Great QB hunt:

What did you get BC? We got a Reilly.

What did you get Edmonton? We got a Harris.

What did you get Calgary? We got a Mitchell.

What did you get Saskatchewan? We got a rock:(


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.