SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Byline (1400 NE Multnomah) | 75' | 6 floors | Dead (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217024)

maccoinnich May 11, 2015 10:04 PM

Byline (1400 NE Multnomah) | 75' | 6 floors | Dead

Hello - 980 unit by Holst on the Regal Lloyd Center 10 parking lot. From this week's metro reports.

Quote:

15-167229-000-00-EA 1510 NE MULTNOMAH ST, 97232

DA - Design Advice Request 5/8/15

A three-building mixed use development containing 980 units of market rate housing, as well as retail and community spaces. Structured parking (873 spaces) included.

Applicant:
DAVID OTTE
110 SE 8TH AVE
PORTLAND, OR 97214

Owner: CAPREF LLOYD CENTER LLC
2201 LLOYD CENTER
PORTLAND, OR 97232-1315

hat May 11, 2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccoinnich (Post 7023710)
Hello - 980 unit by Holst on the Regal Lloyd Center 10 parking lot. From this week's metro reports.

Thank god. This is such good news.

ORNative May 11, 2015 11:05 PM

Wow - What a pleasant surprise! Many here had talked about the underutilization of that block, but I did not expect a development opportunity so quickly. In perspective, the 1510 developer is proposing only 50 units less than AAT on the Oregon Square project (980 v. 1030). That is amazing. Maximum heights on that parking lot is 225 feet, including bonuses.

2oh1 May 11, 2015 11:24 PM

Wow indeed! Nearly a thousand more units on the way for Lloyd! It's funny how, in a recent thread about the MAX, somebody talked about wanting to get rid of that MAX stop. It's already super busy, and adding a thousand apartments is just going to make it more busy.

Hopefully, this will be good for Holloday Park. The lack of life there outside of mall hours makes the park pretty sketchy.

58rhodes May 11, 2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat (Post 7023722)
Thank god. This is such good news.

Amen!!!

58rhodes May 11, 2015 11:39 PM

I was just thinking about this site a few days ago and what a waste of space it was.

tworivers May 11, 2015 11:48 PM

Wow! And designed by Holst! Those guys and WPA are raking in the projects right now.

ORNative May 12, 2015 1:38 AM

I did not catch that Holst would be the architects. I encourage everyone to go to their website and look at their portfolio. Very impressive, very northwest. Ups the excitement just that much - can't wait to see what they propose. The trees of Hollady Park will make such a great backdrop to this development, and the north / south views will be protected by the gulch and mall for a very long time, if not in perpetuity.

sopdx May 12, 2015 4:02 PM

David Otte - the applicant - is a partner at Holst

babs May 12, 2015 4:52 PM

While I am happy for this project, the fact that they have to build a 873 space garage to support the movie theater is crazy when there is a mall with a ton of parking across the street. They should have kept the movie theater inside the mall and knocked down the one across the street. That way, you'd have an even larger development project.

360Rich May 12, 2015 5:11 PM

More info in today's Oregonian from Elliot Njus.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...t_mega-de.html

rsbear May 12, 2015 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babs (Post 7024623)
While I am happy for this project, the fact that they have to build a 873 space garage to support the movie theater is crazy when there is a mall with a ton of parking across the street. They should have kept the movie theater inside the mall and knocked down the one across the street. That way, you'd have an even larger development project.

I believe the theatre in the mall is closing/closed, the one across the street is to be demolished, to be replaced by the new development. The garage is for the new development, which will also consume the existing theatre's parking lot.

BlazerBeav May 12, 2015 7:20 PM

Cutting down on the movie-going options for the inner city, but a much better use of that block for certain. Sounds like the mall operator and the city are looking at revising the park as well.

2oh1 May 12, 2015 7:25 PM

I didn't realize Lloyd Center is losing BOTH theaters - the ones inside the mall, and the ones across the street from the mall. That's certainly surprising. Are the theaters outside the mall losing money? I'm surprised there's been no talk of turning the old Nordstrom space into new theaters. It seems strange to see so many theaters closing. That can't be good for the future of the mall. In this era of dying malls, the movie theaters were still a draw.

58rhodes May 12, 2015 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 (Post 7024853)
I didn't realize Lloyd Center is losing BOTH theaters - the ones inside the mall, and the ones across the street from the mall. That's certainly surprising. Are the theaters outside the mall losing money? I'm surprised there's been no talk of turning the old Nordstrom space into new theaters. It seems strange to see so many theaters closing. That can't be good for the future of the mall. In this era of dying malls, the movie theaters were still a draw.

I think both spaces are being converted to office space

urbanlife May 12, 2015 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 (Post 7024853)

I was originally under the impression that they would be building on the parking lot of the theater and not tearing down the theater portion. But that was months ago when I first heard about this project, and even then details were very limited.

babs May 12, 2015 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58rhodes (Post 7024870)
I think both spaces are being converted to office space

Movie theaters are huge traffic drivers to malls. I wonder if any of this was coordinated. Seems like the ones inside the mall should have been kept open if the ones across the street were going to be demolished. Movie theaters are not some evil big box development. They add culture to an area. Dumb move by the owners of Lloyd Center to kill off both theaters.

2oh1 May 12, 2015 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 7024909)
I was originally under the impression that they would be building on the parking lot of the theater and not tearing down the theater portion. But that was months ago when I first heard about this project, and even then details were very limited.

I was under that impression too, but the article in the O doesn't exactly make it sound like the theater across the street from the mall is staying:

Quote:

Bob Bisno, a Southern California developer, confirmed he and a group of partners has a contract to buy the site of the Regal Lloyd Center 10 & IMAX and the adjacent parking lot.

PacificNW May 12, 2015 9:48 PM

Regal Lloyd Center movie theater to be torn down for giant apartment project

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...torn-down.html

innovativethinking May 12, 2015 10:42 PM

With this development I figure the tower or towers will atleast be 20 stories high. Plus the second phase that's being built on the AAT project I kid you not the Llyod district skyline will rival downtowns. Crazy