SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   PITTSBURGH | Development Rundown II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196266)

themaguffin Apr 2, 2012 3:26 PM

I actually would prefer that this proposal would be the replace that building in the lot to the east of the proposed site/parking lot. And then at some point, build on the parking lot.

Austinlee Apr 2, 2012 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 5650230)
I agree... the article is rather enlightening and depressing. The North Shore development has been botched in an attempt to acquiesce to powerful entrenched interests.

Oh well ; If the city or the county or the state had to pay that $500+ million dollars then yeah, boondoggle. But use it or lose it federal money? screw it. we'll take it. I mean, if we didn't want it they probably just would've earmarked the money for a new monorail for Shelbyville.

Austinlee Apr 2, 2012 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianTH (Post 5649616)
Reminder of the design in question:

http://f.cl.ly/items/3T1V3p043x2n2z3..._Rendering.jpg

Incidentally, I appreciated that they also offered a rear view from the north (First Avenue) side.

By the way, I don't think it's been posted in this thread yet but here is the view from downtown looking towards Station Square of the IMO Calatrava inspired pedestrian entrance to the Won Wharf park.

http://www.popcitymedia.com/gallerie..._wharf_510.jpg
http://www.popcitymedia.com/devnews/monwharf032112.aspx
Quote:

The designs are the result of a collaboration between New York City-based artist Nobuho Nagasawa and Fred Bonci and Natalie Byrd of local landscape architecture firm LaQuatra Bonci Associates.

...The plan calls for a 40-foot-tall mast-and-cable structure topped by an LED beacon. Pedestrians who take the stairs to the parking lot will find themselves under a skeletal spine suspended by cables from the parkway beams overhead. The spine will follow a lighted path and extend to the river's edge, ending above a floating pier
Combine the pedestrian entrance with a new office tower + the connection of the Eliza Furnace biking trail and this area is getting pretty decent.

http://www.riverlifepgh.org//images/...Switchback.jpg

Quote:

Overview

The Mon Wharf Switchback will provide a leisurely transition from bridge elevation to shore, allowing users to savor the dramatic terrain that defines Pittsburgh. The Switchback will provide a grand entry ramp, friendly for hiking, biking, or rollerblading, and will eventually connect Point State Park to the Great Allegheny Passage.

markson33 Apr 2, 2012 4:49 PM

Don't forget the new hotel too.

AaronPGH Apr 2, 2012 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markson33 (Post 5650940)
Don't forget the new hotel too.

Based on what we've heard so far about the hotel, I'm sure that will be a real beaut. :rolleyes:

Evergrey Apr 2, 2012 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronPGH (Post 5650953)
Based on what we've heard so far about the hotel, I'm sure that will be a real beaut. :rolleyes:

What hotel? :shrug:

AaronPGH Apr 2, 2012 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 5651176)
What hotel? :shrug:

I forget what chain it was exactly, but there were a ton of concerns raised about the QuickCrete construction that was planned for it. Or maybe I'm confused and have this mixed up with something else?

Urbana Apr 2, 2012 8:14 PM

:previous:

Where is it to be built?

glowrock Apr 2, 2012 8:21 PM

Honestly, the second design is starting to grow on me. I don't like the third, and yes, the first one does look a lot like the Cira Center in Philly, just not as tall of course. I think the second design could fit in really well with the whole Mon Wharf area.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Austinlee Apr 2, 2012 8:51 PM

Hey Aaron is the red and white "leisure craft" the Techno Boat!? I tried to buy tickets for that shit and they sold out in like 30 minutes!! We need a bigger boat for next time.

MattofSloppyVariety Apr 2, 2012 8:58 PM

I just finally read my Sunday paper and see that they are going to convert the Ann Taylor store in Shadyside into a Dick's Sporting Goods. The little blurb states that this will be Dick's first store within the city. Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have a short lived store in the Strip District in the former Sports Rock Cafe (or somewhere around there)?

My vote is for the second design. :tup:

Evergrey Apr 2, 2012 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronPGH (Post 5651235)
I forget what chain it was exactly, but there were a ton of concerns raised about the QuickCrete construction that was planned for it. Or maybe I'm confused and have this mixed up with something else?

Yes... I remember that discussion. I haven't heard anything about this project since then... so I assumed it was dead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattofSloppyVariety (Post 5651333)
I just finally read my Sunday paper and see that they are going to convert the Ann Taylor store in Shadyside into a Dick's Sporting Goods. The little blurb states that this will be Dick's first store within the city. Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have a short lived store in the Strip District in the former Sports Rock Cafe (or somewhere around there)?

My vote is for the second design. :tup:

Dick's Sporting Goods is opening a store on Walnut... but it won't be a Dick's Sporting Goods. They are testing a smaller, high-end concept for that location. I say it's about time Dick's does some business within the city limits. Hopefully they open a full-size Dick's in the EastSide district in the near future. Target is establishing the market for "big box" concepts in the East End.

glowrock Apr 3, 2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 5651375)
Yes... I remember that discussion. I haven't heard anything about this project since then... so I assumed it was dead.

Dick's Sporting Goods is opening a store on Walnut... but it won't be a Dick's Sporting Goods. They are testing a smaller, high-end concept for that location. I say it's about time Dick's does some business within the city limits. Hopefully they open a full-size Dick's in the EastSide district in the near future. Target is establishing the market for "big box" concepts in the East End.

Agreed. It would be nice if Dick's opened a location in East Liberty or somewhere else relatively near Target. It would certainly add to the redevelopment of the area! :yes:

Aaron (Glowrock)

Minivan Werner Apr 3, 2012 1:41 AM

I think someone mentioned a month ago or so that if you go by the site of that hotel that's U/C they have a picture of what it's supposed to look like. I do know they dropped the Quik Brik and a couple things that were of concern but also scaled it down from 12 floors to 7.

Austinlee Apr 3, 2012 2:33 AM

Quote:

I say it's about time Dick's does some business within the city limits. Hopefully they open a full-size Dick's in the EastSide district in the near future. Target is establishing the market for "big box" concepts in the East End.

Yes, I think AaronPgh will also literally bend over backwards for a a full size Dicks in city limits. I think it would be a great addition to a power (bottom) strip mall in East Lib. :whip:

markson33 Apr 3, 2012 12:03 PM

I believe the hotel on Fort Pitt is supposed to be an upscale Choice Hotel - probably of the Ascend brand. There was a lot of complaining about the design so the developer modified it. I have never seen a rendering though.

This is the same developer who is building the hotel on McKnight next to the Hampton Inn.

Private Dick Apr 3, 2012 1:33 PM

Quote:

Hopefully they open a full-size Dick's in the EastSide district in the near future. Target is establishing the market for "big box" concepts in the East End.

Well duh, that goes without saying... East End big boxes are gonna need full-size Dicks.

Jonboy1983 Apr 3, 2012 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minivan Werner (Post 5651802)
I think someone mentioned a month ago or so that if you go by the site of that hotel that's U/C they have a picture of what it's supposed to look like. I do know they dropped the Quik Brik and a couple things that were of concern but also scaled it down from 12 floors to 7.

This does ring a bell now, and I seem to recall this thing being a Choice hotel brand as well. I believe it was mentioned in the previous Pittsburgh discussion thread if I'm not mistaken...

AaronPGH Apr 3, 2012 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austinlee (Post 5651872)
Yes, I think AaronPgh will also literally bend over backwards for a a full size Dicks in city limits. I think it would be a great addition to a power (bottom) strip mall in East Lib. :whip:

hehehehehehehe gay jokes are still so fresh in 2012. :rolleyes:

themaguffin Apr 3, 2012 6:52 PM

Based on this article from a month ago, it doesn't look like Chevron is considering downtown for expanded space.

By the way, am I the only who didn't know that bizjournals drops their paywall for older articles???

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Quote:

Chevron has been scouting the western and southern suburbs of Pittsburgh for a location on which to build a major regional office for itself that could be larger than 200,000 or 300,000 square feet in size, although plans are very preliminary and subject to revision. Sources indicate the company wants to develop its own campus, which could be more than 30 acres in size. Chevron declined to comment on the potential expansion at this time.