SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Ottawa (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=256)
-   -   250-274 Parkdale | 75 & 77 m | 24 & 25 fl | Proposed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207184)

waterloowarrior Aug 28, 2013 1:07 PM

250-274 Parkdale | 75 & 77 m | 24 & 25 fl | Proposed

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9OUIJD

kwoldtimer Aug 28, 2013 1:18 PM

That would be a whole lotta condo for pokey old Parkdale!

ars Aug 28, 2013 2:02 PM

Here's how they look:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSwqgzgCQAAN75a.jpg

They look ok, but I need a better(higher resolution) pic before I make up my mind about them :D

Definitely better than the usual Ottawa stubby concrete blocks they call buildings though.

ThaLoveDocta Aug 28, 2013 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterloowarrior (Post 6247043)

Select Renders from the app

http://s23.postimg.org/rpqpijokb/Capture3.png
http://s23.postimg.org/b3959gvmh/Capture.png
http://s14.postimg.org/seyw5fu4x/Capture2.png

This one, I like.

OTSkyline Aug 28, 2013 2:37 PM

Nice proposal... I like the design and the height of these two.. They aren't too bulky and both towers are visually interesting. Also a good location as it's on parkdale and next to the transitway.

Although I am questioning why there are still these new proposals when apparently the market is down and other projects like Icon, Soho Italia don't even know if/when they will start construction because of slow sales...:shrug:

S-Man Aug 28, 2013 2:59 PM

I like the buildings, but because of the location I expect a big pushback.

Also - the whole market thing. None of the three towers approved for the other side of Scott have seen construction start, and I have no idea how far sales have progressed.

waterloowarrior Aug 28, 2013 3:21 PM

A new CDP is being developed for the Scott Street area. Richcraft may have wanted to get their approvals in beforehand under current policies in case the CDP restricts heights.

J.OT13 Aug 28, 2013 3:26 PM

The market has definitely slowed down, but factors such as quality, pricing, location and builder reputation seem to determine sales now a days.

When we look at Edge (or Bowary or whatever) that has been on the market for years and is now a hole with a lake waiting to be re-lauched with a new name and updated design. On the same block you have Gotham which was launched last year (?) and construction is well underway.

Then we look at the overpriced Re and well priced Slater which are very similar projects (with Re having a somewhat better location, not all units have views of Parliament); Re has been on the market for what, five years? the Slater on the went from launch to construction in one year (assuming construction starts this fall). Of course Ashcroft and their Re also need to deal with the NCC.

Similar situation with Upper West; sales to construction in one year (again, assuming they start in Fall).

That said, I like the design, but you know; Richcraft.

DowntownDensity Aug 28, 2013 10:11 PM

With these proposed towers, the Rhombus, 99 Parkdale, etc, Parkdale is shaping up to be one of Ottawa's most interesting areas, not to mention will be a treat to observe from afar!

S-Man Aug 29, 2013 2:20 AM

Quote:

A new CDP is being developed for the Scott Street area. Richcraft may have wanted to get their approvals in beforehand under current policies in case the CDP restricts heights.
Ah, yes. Very true.

Urbanarchit Aug 29, 2013 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownDensity (Post 6247807)
With these proposed towers, the Rhombus, 99 Parkdale, etc, Parkdale is shaping up to be one of Ottawa's most interesting areas, not to mention will be a treat to observe from afar!

It would add to this image:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7401/9...6705a7b9_b.jpg
Tunney's Pasture by Shel DeF

Urbanarchit Aug 29, 2013 11:53 AM

There are certain aspects of this project that I like, such as some of the podiums and I like the northern tower (though it does look bulky). I'm not keen on the green and orange in the windows, but I'm okay with this.

This is pretty much along the lines of what Public Works was hoping for for Tunney's Pasture. Although this isn't in Tunney's Pasture, there's going to be a whole line of highrise condos on Parkdale. I'm really hoping, though, that we can get highrises elsewhere and not just along Parkdale. It would sort of remind me of Seoul and how, despite being covered with mid/lowrises, along main boulevards there's a line of highrises that you can pick out from satellite imaging.

Hintonburg and the community association aren't happy with this at all!

Any news on Urbanism Ottawa? I know that people from this forum started it, but I never hear anything about or from them. I'd be interested in joining.

kwoldtimer Aug 29, 2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownDensity (Post 6247807)

How so? I'm not feeling it.

Harley613 Aug 29, 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defishel (Post 6248357)
Hintonburg and the community association aren't happy with this at all!

I guess they are afraid of all the foot traffic and revenue and life all these condos will bring to their businesses on Wellington...it would be overwhelming.

DowntownDensity Aug 29, 2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 6248361)

For clarity, what I really mean is that this area seems to be getting some of the more interesting design proposals in the city clustered in a higher concentration than the rest of Ottawa. (...Except maybe for the Preston/Carling area). There's definitely good and bad design being proposed all across the city, but it's funny that so many are going in a string right across Parkdale. I'm just looking forward to the new "cluster" skylines we'll have in Ottawa when/if all the current proposals get built. The Preston/Carling and Parkdale areas will have their own eye-drawing figures from afar.

JackBauer24 Aug 29, 2013 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 6248361)

This area has more going for it that you might initially see - it's substantially closer to downtown than Westboro; it's close to Queensway access and the John A. MacDonald Pkwy is an excellent west-east road; there are more shops, stores, etc... being built around it; the LRT station will be within 1 km for all the Parkdale proposals; and it's sandwiched between two of Ottawa's hotter condos areas - Little Italy and Westboro/Wellington Village.

It wasn't long ago when people questioned the appeal to the ByWard market and Westboro when they first became popular. In time, Parkdale will be a very different area.

JackBauer24 Aug 29, 2013 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley613 (Post 6248371)
I guess they are afraid of all the foot traffic and revenue and life all these condos will bring to their businesses on Wellington...it would be overwhelming.

Seriously, who has the time to deal with customers questions, needs and wants when you're trying to run a business?

kevinbottawa Aug 29, 2013 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownDensity (Post 6248390)
For clarity, what I really mean is that this area seems to be getting some of the more interesting design proposals in the city clustered in a higher concentration than the rest of Ottawa. (...Except maybe for the Preston/Carling area). There's definitely good and bad design being proposed all across the city, but it's funny that so many are going in a string right across Parkdale. I'm just looking forward to the new "cluster" skylines we'll have in Ottawa when/if all the current proposals get built. The Preston/Carling and Parkdale areas will have their own eye-drawing figures from afar.

These are the kinds of designs we should be seeing at Rideau and King Edward. It's sad that our main downtown street has the least interesting high rise designs in the downtown area.

Urbanarchit Aug 29, 2013 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley613 (Post 6248371)

They missed the positive and went straight to the negatives (increased traffic in the area and on those streets, so they will try to argue it down, like they're planning with 1040 Somerset.

The thing is, Katherine Hobbs talked about how Kitchissippi has about 11,000 people, but 42,000 jobs. Mass transit is important, but too many use their cars to come into the area (and those that live). I think having more condos/ residential units will be crucial for easing traffic and getting more people walking, biking and commuting view public transit. Yet those in the neighbourhood don't see it that way, and only want lowrise townhomes all over.

J.OT13 Aug 29, 2013 4:37 PM

I get why the community doesn't like what's happening on Parkdale; it's a narrow, traffic jammed street (and yes, I realize that balancing jobs/residential might help with traffic) that will eventually be lined by a wall of 30 story buildings.

In the case of the Claridge Somerset proposal, I'm more supportive. The two (for now) buildings are different height and, thanks to the O-Train corridor, is more opened. Somerset at that location also does not have as much traffic (although its jammed in Chinatown and jammed on Wellington West).