SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Natitude! Playoff baseball in Washington (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201926)

Cirrus Oct 12, 2012 5:22 AM

Natitude! Playoff baseball in Washington

It's been 79 years since a playoff baseball game was played in Washington, DC. The last one was in 1933, before World War II, before many of your grandparents were born. FDR was mere months into his very first term as President. Since then man has walked on the moon, used nuclear weapons, and invented the designated hitter.

But now the Nats are back.

I scored last minute tickets to game 4 of the NLDS Thursday. The Nats beat the Cardinals on a walk-off 9th inner home run by Jayson Werth, to even the series at 2 games each and send it to a decisive 5th game. Here are some pictures.

My view. Click for a bigger version.

Scoreboard sign.

Skyline view, such as it is. The US Capitol dome is directly behind the prominent glassy office building. It's visible from the left field stands, but not from my vantage.

Most fans arrive to games by Metro. There is a 1 block walk from the station to the stadium. One property along that block has been turned into a temporary market, using shipping containers as stalls. Soon it will be developed into a real building, but in the mean time this is a lot better than an empty lot.

Let's get started.

Zoomed in on the Capitol dome, peaking just barely above the roof of that office building.

Since the Expos moved to Washington, each game has featured a presidents race. Teddy Roosevelt has never been allowed to win a race in all those seasons... until the last game of this year, when they finally let him win.

Here is right-fielder Jayson Werth looking ready to play.

Now here is right-fielder Jayson Werth looking confused.

Never before seen in Washington, until this week.

With the score tied 1-1 late in the game, the fans got excited.

Then Jayson Werth hit his walk-off homer.

That's all folks! Suck it, Saint Louis! ;)

Danny Oct 12, 2012 7:27 AM

Very nice shots! Thanks.

Great sport show! Great stadium and views from your point of view.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!:tup:

Centropolis Oct 12, 2012 12:06 PM

nice. ive been having to listen to the games on the radio so its
nice to get some visual context here.

202_Cyclist Oct 12, 2012 12:34 PM

Best photo thread all year. Let's go Nats! Bring on the Orioles!

circle33 Oct 12, 2012 1:19 PM

Love dem Expos.

Sorry couldn't resist. Seriously though, cool pics.

ColDayMan Oct 12, 2012 2:34 PM

Anybody but the Giants and I didn't even care about the Giants until their idiotic, classless fans started talking shit.

Nice photos. I'll be rooting for the Nats and Detroit.

soulard&como Oct 17, 2012 3:28 AM

It was fun playing the Nats and I like that DC didn't go with a retro park per se... great fans and another sea of red to compete with!

That being said...
#12in12

202_Cyclist Oct 17, 2012 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulard&como (Post 5869262)
It was fun playing the Nats and I like that DC didn't go with a retro park per se... great fans and another sea of red to compete with!

That being said...
#12in12

Ouch! This is a punch to the gut. I am still grieving about last Friday's game. Fortunately, we have a young team and we'll be back.

Lipani Oct 17, 2012 5:13 AM

Great photos, Cirrus. It's nice to see a young team like the Nats develop as well as they are.

chris Oct 17, 2012 5:15 AM

I gotta say, the way the Nationals got eliminated was in typical Montreal Expos fashion!

Yankeebiscuitfan Oct 17, 2012 8:30 PM

Nice pics. But I loathe the Nats. I can't root for the team that I used to have a soft spot for when they were located in Montreal. I still hold Bud Light Selig and Jeffrey Loria responsible for this. I won't write down here what I wish to them...

Surrealplaces Oct 17, 2012 10:24 PM

In the first pic there is a guy with an Expos cap on :cool:

chris Oct 17, 2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 5870208)
In the first pic there is a guy with an Expos cap on :cool:

Ah yes I just noticed! The curse of Rick Monday a la 1981 still haunts that franchise. :/

volguus zildrohar Oct 21, 2012 1:17 AM

Nice shots - must've been fun for Washington.

I skipped all the Werth photos.