SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atlantic Provinces (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [Saint John] Suburbs (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203795)

michael_d40 Jan 29, 2013 7:02 PM

[Saint John] Suburbs

Decided to jump-start this thread for Rothesay, Quispamsis, and GBW related developments.

I'm curious to see the pics that herbertovich has of the Tim's on Marr Road. I heard it was a slighty different concept?

JHikka Jan 29, 2013 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_d40 (Post 5992234)
I'm curious to see the pics that herbertovich has of the Tim's on Marr Road. I heard it was a slighty different concept?

Drove by that Tim's on Sunday. It's not exactly a country Tim's design...it's a weird blend between Urban and Country.

michael_d40 Jan 29, 2013 7:03 PM

Picture of the Home Hardware currently under-construction on Millennium Drive in Quispamsis.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/...mehardware.jpg

(Photo Credit - urbanplans.blogspot.ca)

hebertovich Jan 29, 2013 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_d40 (Post 5992234)
Decided to jump-start this thread for Rothesay, Quispamsis, and GBW related developments.

I will post them tomorrow i had 2 that αΊ…ere pretty sad I will get a couple tonight with it all lit up looks nice.

Peter_johnns Jan 30, 2013 1:00 AM

Good job making this thread! its about time!

hebertovich Jan 30, 2013 12:58 PM

As promised, it opened this Am
-------------------------------
Night
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8...1bcfe6f4_z.jpg
Day
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8474/8...4717f953_z.jpg

This is the side view
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8078/8...52144024_z.jpg

The new skin on the irving
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8074/8...bd5af185_z.jpg
St Huberts
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8223/8...93f26067_z.jpg

Southpaw78 Jan 30, 2013 9:50 PM

Does anyone have any knowledge into the Col. Nase Boulevard site in GB-W? In Nov. 2011 they had a huge grand opening of the new arterial saying it was going to open up tons of land for residential and business use and to date there has been no sign of any activity.

JHikka Jan 30, 2013 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw78 (Post 5994036)
Does anyone have any knowledge into the Col. Nase Boulevard site in GB-W? In Nov. 2011 they had a huge grand opening of the new arterial saying it was going to open up tons of land for residential and business use and to date there has been no sign of any activity.

They expected a lot of development but frankly there seem to have been no takers in the private sector. I had heard of different people being interested but clearly nothing has happened as yet. Its most redeeming quality so far is its connection to Route 7. That unfinished offramp looked terrible for the longest time.

hebertovich Jan 31, 2013 12:37 PM

Does anyone in the know have any info on what will go behind the new Tims on Marr. At the start I had heard that the places that were going to be there were St Huberts, Starbucks, BMO and a burger king ? So the Starbucks turned out to be a Tims and now I heard there is a Harveys going there .... please tell me it ain't so :yuck:

Fischbob Jan 31, 2013 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hebertovich (Post 5994806)
Does anyone in the know have any info on what will go behind the new Tims on Marr. At the start I had heard that the places that were going to be there were St Huberts, Starbucks, BMO and a burger king ? So the Starbucks turned out to be a Tims and now I heard there is a Harveys going there .... please tell me it ain't so :yuck:

The Incredible Shrinking Miscellaneous KV Commercial Area :grumpycat:

I believe both this development and the recent one at McAllister and Westmorland are owned by Cobalt Properties, Irving Oil's development/property management arm. So similar tenants are quite plausible (we already have the St. Hubert Express at the two locations, and both Harveys and BMO are tenants at McAllister/Westmorland, too).

Southpaw78 Jan 31, 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw78 (Post 5994036)

That's my neck of the woods and I think it's unfortunate nothing has been done there yet. It would attract a lot of potential business from the SJ to Freddy crowd travelling back and forth as there's really nothing off the highway between Welsford and the West Side. Also, I just think for a town the size of GB-W (5 100), it is tremendously under developed...My parents still live there and it's almost heart wrenching at times to see the lack of services...

CdnEh Jan 31, 2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw78 (Post 5995622)
That's my neck of the woods and I think it's unfortunate nothing has been done there yet. It would attract a lot of potential business from the SJ to Freddy crowd travelling back and forth as there's really nothing off the highway between Welsford and the West Side. Also, I just think for a town the size of GB-W (5 100), it is tremendously under developed...My parents still live there and it's almost heart wrenching at times to see the lack of services...

I agree. Compare GBW to St Stephen or Sussex. GBW has almost 1000 more residents than either of these towns, yet has hardly ANYTHING.

Sussex and St Stephen both have Atlantic Superstores, Sobeys, Shoppers, multiple fastfood restaurants, relatively full strip-malls full of banks and other services, etc.

What does GBW have? A hopeless Sobeys and a Guardian Drugs? Subway?

odonymist Jan 31, 2013 11:51 PM

Colonel Nase Blvd

As for your question on Colonel Nase, I believe the lack of interest in it has to do with startup costs. I think GBW wants developers to pay for a lot of infrastructure (sidwalks, power lines, new side streets?) and it is too expensive. This is just the word in GB-W (lived there for 30 years until a few months ago- North End now)...I can't find anything on it.

odonymist Jan 31, 2013 11:52 PM

JHikka Feb 1, 2013 2:28 AM

Given its proximity to West side Saint John the lack of services in GBW really isn't that shocking.

MonctonRad Feb 1, 2013 2:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hebertovich (Post 5994806)

For what it's worth, there was an article in the T&T the other day where they interviewed the two Moncton entrepreneurs who are responsible for our second Harvey's restaurant in the Trinity Drive area.

It is apparently the "new concept" format for the Harvey's chain and Moncton got the first one. The owners did say they were planning on building another new one in Saint John.....

CdnEh Feb 1, 2013 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 5996028)
It is apparently the "new concept" format for the Harvey's chain and Moncton got the first one. The owners did say they were planning on building another new one in Saint John.....

You mean like the "new concept" one that opened 4 months ago on the corner of Westmorland and McAllister?

MonctonRad Feb 1, 2013 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnEh (Post 5996087)
You mean like the "new concept" one that opened 4 months ago on the corner of Westmorland and McAllister?

Could be! :)

Maybe I got the article mixed up. Perhaps they meant the Harvey's at Westmorland and McAllister was theirs too. If so, then it's my bad. Sorry.....

CdnEh Feb 1, 2013 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 5996090)
Could be! :)

Maybe I got the article mixed up. Perhaps they meant the Harvey's at Westmorland and McAllister was theirs too. If so, then it's my bad. Sorry.....

They moved into that location from Rothesay Avenue... the building now sits vacant with black plastic film covering the signs... an eyesore.

Speaking of which, have there been any plans to "revitalize" Rothesay Avenue? The whole street is turning into a wasteland of empty buildings, decrepit retail, and vacant lots, with a car dealership here and there.

Whaler Feb 5, 2013 2:54 PM

GB-Westfield slated for a new Sobeys and Home Hardware are very serious about a new store as well.
The town does have a fee for new businesses for this route which has slowed new construction.
Tim Horton's is another who will be building a new stand alone store.