SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Sweet & Sour in Shanghai (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202821)

Okayyou Dec 6, 2012 10:51 PM

Sweet & Sour in Shanghai

Asian Saga stop V -The behemoth known as Shanghai. You can see the thread covering stop IV, Beijing, here. My travel to Shanghai marked the end of my six weeks in the Northeast. I was ready for a change of scenery and the giant metropolis offered more than I could handle. The city has a wild amount of diversity compared to Beijing or Dalian: blade runner-esque Pudong, the Western influenced Bund and French Concession, historic Buddhist temples and water towns. I felt the city was much more Westernized and global than the more insular Beijing. The food was different, sweeter than what I found in the Northeast. I was only in the city for three days and felt I only really saw the tourist sites. I'd like to head back and experience some of the neighborhood.

For the SSP enthusiasts you'll see some shots of the new Shanghai tower under construction. It will do to the SWFC what the SWFC did to Jin Mao. Where else in the world will you be able to look down on the roof of a 101 story building?

The sweet -A new camera lens, 17mm TS, not having my wallet stolen, my first cheeseburger in 2 months (though after 2 months of being on a Chinese diet my stomach classified this as a sour), and generally experiencing a city with 23,000,000 people.

The sour - Running myself into the ground and catching a nasty cold; crowds like I've never seen. I waited in line to go to the top of the Pearl tower for over two hours. Once I got to the top it was basically a sardine tin of people; rain, rain and more rain; and generally experiencing a city with 23,000,000 people.

Video Link

Next stop I'll get out of the cities and head west to the rice terraces of Dazhai and the Li River near Xing Ping. That thread will wrap up China, then it's on to India!

montrealman Dec 7, 2012 2:34 AM

Bravo. All your Chinese city sets are spectacular, I don't think I have ever seen the dichotomy of grime and glitter that is urban China so well captured as it is in your pics. Makes me want to get on a plane and go back!

Omaharocks Dec 7, 2012 2:45 AM

For me, this is the thread of the year.

All of your photo threads are quality, but even for you, this one is above-par.

Illithid Dude Dec 7, 2012 2:55 AM

Extraordinary. I hope you tried one of those birds-on-a-stick.

Urbanguy Dec 7, 2012 3:04 AM

Your photo skills are amazing! Thanks for the very colorful tour. :)

ColDayMan Dec 7, 2012 6:04 AM

It looks like the perfect place to transition from 'western' culture/mindset/whatever to mainland China. Thanks!

hkskyline Dec 7, 2012 6:08 AM

Super sharp!

coolmillion Dec 7, 2012 2:04 PM

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing them!

mobyhead Dec 7, 2012 3:30 PM

Gorgeous! :tup:

mousquet Dec 7, 2012 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmillion (Post 5928940)
Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing them!

mm, that's it.

This is brutal.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8201/8...893f682c_b.jpg
Ugh! :haha: They need to think about some softer packaging.

Xander202 Dec 7, 2012 6:37 PM

Great thread as always! Whilst I do prefer Tokyo, I do feel Shanghai has to be my second favourite Asian city. You captured it beautifully.

volguus zildrohar Dec 7, 2012 6:51 PM

Beats duck on a stick, I'll say.

Coldrsx Dec 7, 2012 9:41 PM

mint

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8...524713fd_b.jpg

Miu Dec 7, 2012 10:34 PM

I was hoping you'd post a Shanghai thread. Love it.

Danny Dec 7, 2012 10:44 PM

Simply spectacular!:cheers:

I love Shanghai and your shots. Your new lens is amazing, the quality is fantastic. I´ve enjoyed a lot watching your pictures, specially those taken at night.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!:tup:

fern Dec 7, 2012 11:35 PM

You're starting to really annoy me now, I demand you go somewhere dull and take average photographs.I am getting bored of eulogizing your work, which is great by the way.

bobdreamz Dec 8, 2012 1:56 AM

Shangahai is a "SS" !! "Simply Stunning" !!! fantastic pics!

Nineties Flava Dec 8, 2012 11:08 PM

Incredibleamazingstunningspectacularextraordinarywow.

^I'm probably going to copy/paste that on every future thread of yours.

Lipani Dec 8, 2012 11:23 PM

^ Indeed. Every time I see one of your threads, Okayyou, I know that I'll be seeing something great. Beautiful photos yet again, man! :tup:

suburbanite Dec 9, 2012 4:00 AM

I can't say the food looks very appetizing, but that city model is absolutely amazing.