SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   United States (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Living in CHICAGO (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119304)

forumly_chgoman Nov 6, 2006 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111
Would it be safe to assume that the north side of chicago is very safe..Parts of the west side are safe and some are bad (more like 50/50 good to bad)...the south side overall is dangerous (I know there are pockets of good neighborhoods but im just saying overall). I really hope the day comes when you can walk pretty much any street in chicago without any fear or hesitaion of you getting mugged or something like that.

^^^^NO!

Well of the "major" colleges ......campuses outside of DT....Loyola is in RP, Depaul is in Lincoln Park (LP), UIC is south and west of the loop, and IIT is about 3 miles south of the loop.

Of these the area around IIT is still the worst though it is coming along and better than it was say 10 years ago when all the projects were still standing.

Overall the area around Depaul is probably the safest ( and in general by far the most expensive), but when you lookat numbers it is nominally safer than the area directyly around Loyola which is in RP.....despite the view of at least one forumer most of RP is quite safe, there are a couple of hotbed areas.....Juneway Jungle, Morse L area that make its numbers worse than it otherwise would be......anyhow hell I was jumped in LP on fullerton, by 3 puerto ricans, that does not make me label LP unsafe I was just unlucky.

The UIC area is kind of wierd and hit / miss....it is decidely different than it was 8-10 years ago and there is a lot of development goinmg on.....it is close to cool area in the west loop / greek town.......but it can get dicey over there as well.....but again in general you will be fine

j korzeniowski Nov 6, 2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

(Ravenswood is a big neighborhood that includes Andersonville and Lincoln Square, both lovely)
that is incorrect. as a resident of lincoln square, i should point out that lincoln square is one of the 77 official community areas of chicago. ravenswood is a part of lincoln square; likewise, andersonville is a part of the larger edgewater district.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...enter_.2805.29

back on point:

viva is right in that those are great places to live, heh heh.

chicubs111 Nov 6, 2006 11:49 PM

Is the little italy section of chicago safe? I know its on the west side near greektown.

DeadManWalking Nov 7, 2006 2:44 AM

Are you a member of kcskyscrapers.com Ryan81?

Ryan81 Nov 7, 2006 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadManWalking
Are you a member of kcskyscrapers.com Ryan81?

I am now...I'll have to check it out to see if there is anything worth while. The Sprint Center should be fun to watch.

left of center Nov 10, 2006 2:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111
Is the little italy section of chicago safe? I know its on the west side near greektown.

Definatly. Its inhabited mostly by college students who attend the nearby University of Illinois at Chicago. Taylor St (the main drag) is full of Italian restaurants, as well as a plethora of bars and other nightlife options. Overall, straying too far south and west of this neighborhood, things do tend to get dicey. Otherwise, its not a problem. Ive been in this area many times, especially late at night, and have never felt threatened or afraid at all.

FILA20 Feb 3, 2007 6:52 AM

i just moved here also from atlanta and i am curious what areas of town are good to look for restaurant/bartending jobs- that will be profitable ?

MayorOfChicago Mar 23, 2007 2:37 PM

I actually moved here from Iowa about 5 years ago. I had no solid clue about the city, didn't have a job, and picked a random place.

I ended up in Logan Square for my first 3 years and loved it. I never once felt the slightest bit concerned for my safety at all, some people say it has high crime, but I certainly didn't see this being true. Just be normal and think before acting and you'll be fine almost anywhere.

The rent is pretty cheap, the people are very down to earth and nice, and the blue line will take you downtown. I lived at Fullerton and Kedzie right on the boulevard, it was awesome. Like having a park outside you house.

People in Iowa kept going on and on about the cost, etc, and how would I survive here. Yeah right, this city is a piece of cake once you move here and just get a handle on your life. I say just go for it before you wake up one day and wonder why you didn't "do this years ago".

Lakeview is also nice, you can find a 1 bedroom for $800, it might not be amazing, but it'll get you through until you get your life in the city on track.

tintinex Jun 1, 2007 9:49 PM

When I first moved to Chicago in the year 2000 I ended up living in the Hyde Park neighborhood. I lived on a building right on the lakefront, 17th floor with an awesome view of the downtown skyline, free and accessible parking on the street or in the Chicago Park district's parking lot for premonitory point. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made and it made me fall in love with Chicago really fast. Just two blocks from a train station I could be downtown in 15 minutes, or 10 minutes by driving. I have since moved a bit south, I had a great opportunity to buy something in the South Shore neighborhood, and although 3 years ago I was one of the "early adopters" of the new generation moving into that neighborhood and it wasn't as safe as i would've liked, my risk paid off and now I live in a booming neighborhood with great people in my building and skyrocketing property value. I will live downtown some day, for now I'm building up my career and saving money so one day I can achieve this goal. Chicago for me is the most beautiful city in the world and I've adopted it as my home city...

The south side of Chicago is often viewed by many as the "forbidden zone", but I can say for my own experience that it is not true for the closest mile to the lake. Very peaceful, awesome lakefront trail and tons of parks and green spaces (and still very affordable!).

Hope this helps...

Nowhereman1280 Jun 2, 2007 4:44 PM

Couple of points.

Though Loyola University itself (meaning the classroom buildings) is in Rodgers Park, 75% of the student housing in actually in Edgewater. I lived in Loyola housing just inside Edgewater all last year and it was great! I would actually recommend at least looking at/considering Edgewater since it is much cheaper than its more expensive neighbors to the south. Yes there is sparodic crime in this area, but nothing more serious than occasional hooligan's grabbing someone's cell phone from their hands late at night.

$800 of rent in Edgewater can get you a lot. I'd say the best area in Edgewater is along Brwn Mawr between the lake and the El. I actually have a friend from College that lives in a highrise apartment on the lake at Brwn Mawr and Sheridan. It is a two bedroom apartment on the south east corner of the 22nd story with two full baths one of which has a sauna. The entire place was recently redone and the familyroom and kitchen both overlook the lake and have a view of Downtown to the south. The rent on that unit is $1400 a month all said and done and I believe that comes with garage parking for his car. Now that being a 2 bedroom with amazing views and everything, I'm sure you could find something 1 bedroom with not as sweet views and no sauna in the area for $800 easy. I really like that area and anywhere between the El and lake is basically safe. Also, you are 2-4 blocks from both the El and the Lake if you live anywhere between the two in that area.

You might also want to take a look at Uptown which is the next neighborhood south from Edgewater along the lake. Its still a little shabby at times, but is one of those neighborhoods that seems posed for some great new growth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FILA20 (Post 2608182)
i just moved here also from atlanta and i am curious what areas of town are good to look for restaurant/bartending jobs- that will be profitable ?

Well I don't know how hard it is to get hired in these areas, but I would suggest checking out Clark Street from Basically downtown to Belmont and the Rush Street Area in the Gold Coast. Those are definitely two of the hotter area's in town IMO.

Nowhereman1280 Jun 2, 2007 4:47 PM

One other thing, I'm frigging pumped because I am going to be moving to the Gold Coast for next school year and am not going to be paying ridiculous rents because of it! I'll be in the brand new LUC housing down there on the 19th story looking East along Pierson (with a direct view of the watertower) and south down Wabash (with a direct view of Trump). I'm pretty psyched about that...

honte Jun 4, 2007 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 2432860)
Would it be safe to assume that the north side of chicago is very safe..Parts of the west side are safe and some are bad (more like 50/50 good to bad)...the south side overall is dangerous (I know there are pockets of good neighborhoods but im just saying overall). I really hope the day comes when you can walk pretty much any street in chicago without any fear or hesitaion of you getting mugged or something like that.

As a South Sider, I have to take this to task. Many parts of the South Side are rough, but this statement about the majority of it being unsafe is patently untrue. If you take the time, you will find tons of interesting and perfectly great areas on the South Side. Also, may are improving at an incredible pace. None of them are like Lincoln Park, but that's not to say they should be written off entirely.

Now, to Ryan's main question, I would just like to mention that no one has included the Near North Side / Old Town in the list. I am sure this is because of the costs of those neighborhoods. However, if you are willing to look hard, you can find great deals. Two friends of mine (both women) rent an apartment at North and LaSalle for $825. It's a huge two-bedroom in what was a very opulent 1920s building. The price is low because it's on the first floor, and there is a negative perception of the building because it is on two busy streets. But actually, their apartment is very quiet and a great place to live.

So, my suggestions to any newcomer to Chicago are:

1. Look hard and you will find what you are looking for. It's a huge place. Don't settle for something because you get nervous or are in a hurry. I had a close friend who did this, and it was a disaster.

2. Don't judge a neighborhood by its commercial streets. These streets can be a big indication of how you'd personally like living in an area, since they tell you what your shopping culture will be like. But many of our neighborhoods are very beautiful in the large residential districts, while the commercial strips that run through them can be a bit rough around the edges. This might be more of good advice for exploring Chicago rather than house hunting, but I think it's worth keeping in mind. Don't limit yourself or your appreciation of the place!

3. Look into the style of housing you want. This can be a big determination in terms of what neighborhood you choose because obviously things change from 'hood to 'hood. Ravenswood has a decidedly more SFR, people-watering-their-lawns kind of feeling to it. It's cute and quaint. It's not necessarily the feeling of living in a big city though. Meanwhile, if you are looking for a smaller building with a detached garage, the Near North is obviously not the place.

If I were moving to Chicago all over again, I would check out Pilsen (but not if safety is your #1), Hyde Park (but not if being close and connected is your #1), and Logan Square - which is where I happily spent the first 4 years of my time here, and pre-gentrification too. It's a much nicer place now than it was then. But ideally, I would like to find that steal of an apartment on North and LaSalle that my two friends have found. Have fun!

PS Congratulations on your wise decision. Chicago is a truly amazing city, and if you work with its flaws a little, you will not be disappointed!

Beck4ABigChicago Aug 7, 2007 3:14 PM

aight, I thought this was kinda cool that you were doing this, so I will throw my 2 cents in (without having time to read the previous posts really, so sorry if I repeat). I moved here a couple years back for law school, it was something I always wanted to do but could never find the right opportunity. when opportunity never presented itself on the job front I quit my job (in beautiful Boulder CO) and went back to school. Anyway, my point , and this has been said by someone else, is to just do it. If it sucks, move back to Iowa, blow out of town on your lease, have a good life. But you'll never know. However, I will tell you from my experience, I cannot imagine ever leaving now that I have been here a couple of years. Nightlife, jobs, architecture, cubs, bears, etc, etc.

So what I did the first year I was here was rented in the loop. I was a little too far south in and about the financial district which was quiet and boring, but an easy L ride somewhere more fun. Now while I would not necessarily suggest living where I did, I might suggest that you try to find something inexpensive very near downtown for the first year while you feel out the different areas. If it were me, I would try near north and old town or even greektown. Now, greektown is suppose to be the next greatest place on earth, but in my opinion it is nowhere near at least at this time. However, what living there will do is force you to leave your home, explore the different neighborhoods and nightlife and see what you like. If you end up in Wicker Park/Bucktown/East Villiage, (western neighborhoods) etc they are great places to be and it is my experience that you will spend most of your time there (which is not a bad thing, it is a nice area, higher crime, but not bad).

However, depending on your $$$ limits, the western neighborhoods would be the furtherest I would move. Now don't everybody yell at me at once, but as a younger guy who likes to mix it up on the weekends at a minimum I would never, ever, ever, ever to to lincoln square, ravenswood (not even part of the city as far as I am concerned), edgwater, uptown, Rosco Villiage, and I could go on.

So all in all, just as MY opinion, I would start not much further than Lakeview, head south thru Wrigleyville (where you can rent some real dumps for cheap if you like living like a college student...and honestly who doesn't), and maybe end your search down in the South Loop where some of these new high rises are going up. Now, I say this bc I had come from a smaller city and I really wanted to live the downtown experience rather than the neighborhood experience. I live in Lincoln Park now (which I highly recommend) where you can get great views on the east side near the zoo and stumble upon some great rents if you get lucky.

Thats all I have. Good luck, you'll enjoy it out here, at least for me it was nothing I had experienced before.

Mr Man Nov 17, 2007 5:05 AM

Come out to the O'Hare neighborhood! We're Chicago's fastest growing community by land area. We're annexing new suburbs all the time. There is not much to do in this westside neighborhood, but you got the blue line and I-190.

In all serious, there is some good affordable rentals. Parking isn't a problem. This former Edgewaterian misses the red line, Clark street, and the 147 though.

surfchicago Jan 7, 2008 11:46 PM

It is possible to get something decent for $800 per month, but you may need to spend a little more. As far as safety goes, there is no neighborhood in Chicago that is 100% crime free. You shouldn't have any problems if you're alert and use common sense. Unfortunately, the CTA train stations can be magnets for criminal activity, but it's less of a problem during peak rush hour times. Ride the trains before you make your move. Some of the lines are safer than others. Money can be saved if you consider areas that are west of the lakefront like Logan Square or Wicker Park. You'll probably want to check everything along the lake from Diversey to the north to Roosevelt to the south. It might be a good idea to tour these areas during different days of the week and different times of day. There is probably a lot of information on the Web. One thing that can probably be very helpful is Google Streetview. They did good work photographing just about any neighborhood in town, and you can bring up the 360 degree photos while checking out the maps.

drdave88 Jan 14, 2008 6:37 AM

born and raised in the close burbs, i have owned in logan square for over three years now and love it.

when looking to move, i always suggest moving closer to the city when you start and move further away if it is not your taste. i prefer the west side in areas like wicker park and bucktown based on the fact that people here are more creative and unique vs the north areas like wrigley and lakeview where the younger crowds (early twenties) tend to feel more frat and preppy oriented. Lincoln park is a nice spot and has the half prep, half uniqueness feel. both logan and lincoln square are nice, but i consider them more on the dull side as there is less exciting nightlife to be offered - a pro or con to a new married couple. I don't suggest moving to the south loop as new comers, i think that area is best suited for a seasoned chicago vet.

you've gotten some major responses, don't forget to tell us where you end up!

vxt22 Jan 30, 2008 8:25 AM

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with many of these folks who say that the Southside is sketchy. I personally live in an IIT dorm, but I enjoy walking, often alone, at all hours of day or night throughout Bronzeville and Douglas. I've not felt threatened or scared at any time, and I'm but a slim 19 year old chap.
Perhaps I've a skewed sense of self-preservation or something, but I actually found all areas of the southside to be interesting places, including 63rd street, 47th, 35th and many areas around them.
I wouldn't recommend all of these areas to you, but I'd definitely check out Bridgeport, which is less 'ethnic,' and perhaps a little closer to what you're looking for. The loop is but a short orange or green line ride away. Orange is particularly close up near Archer.
I'd also agree that Pilsen is a fine, friendly area. I think many of these people tend to exaggerate the dangers of living in Chicago. I've found the city to be quite safe. Either I've been lucky or something. I do know that Douglas is a much different place than it was in the 90s...
Overall Chicago is a great city to live, and as long as you and your wife generally stay together most of the time, I'd say most of the city is your playground. Not that you shouldn't be careful, but it isn't the whole "the Southside of Chicago is the baddest part of town..." thing anymore.

Nowhereman1280 Jun 24, 2008 4:41 AM

Have you moved to Chicago yet Ryan?

ChicagoChicago Oct 29, 2008 3:11 AM

Ryan81,

Not sure if you moved to Chicago yet, but my wife and I moved here from Charleston, SC in June 2007. We absolutely love it! We live in Lakeview, near Paulina and Belmont. Let us know what you decided.