SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   2018 CFL Season (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231059)

thurmas Dec 5, 2017 12:12 AM

2018 CFL Season

So what will unfold in the world of 3 down football in 2018:

Will David Braley finally sell off the BC Lions? What will happen to Lulay?

Can the Stamps finally get some traction on a new stadium or retrofit for McMahon stadium?

Are the Eskimos going to trade Franklin to the Alouettes for a shot at being a starting QB?

Can the Bombers take the next step and break their 27 year Grey Cup drought?

Will Argos fan interest and attendance build off the momentum of their Grey Cup Triumph?

Can the Alouettes halt their decline since the end of the Calvillo era and get back to respectability?

Will the CFL sign a new TV deal with the NFL network and for how much?

Will the CFL regular season start earlier on June 1st and do we see the first ever Halloween Grey Cup in October?

Will both Johnny Manziel and Colin Kaepernick be playing for the Ticats and Alouettes?

tomthumb2 Dec 5, 2017 12:19 AM

Geez, I'd have to answer no to all of those!

isaidso Dec 5, 2017 5:45 AM

Perhaps we can just call it 'football' and the unique brand they play down south '4 down football'. That's what I'd like to see in 2018.

Andy6 Dec 5, 2017 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8008609)
Perhaps we can just call it 'football' and the unique brand they play down south '4 down football'. That's what I'd like to see in 2018.

Four downs is the Johnny-come-lately idea. Three downs was the original standard and is real football.

cjones2451 Dec 5, 2017 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8008288)
So what will unfold in the world of 3 down football in 2018:

Will David Braley finally sell off the BC Lions? What will happen to Lulay?

Can the Stamps finally get some traction on a new stadium or retrofit for McMahon stadium?

Are the Eskimos going to trade Franklin to the Alouettes for a shot at being a starting QB?

Can the Bombers take the next step and break their 27 year Grey Cup drought?

Will Argos fan interest and attendance build off the momentum of their Grey Cup Triumph?

Can the Alouettes halt their decline since the end of the Calvillo era and get back to respectability?

Will the CFL sign a new TV deal with the NFL network and for how much?

Will the CFL regular season start earlier on June 1st and do we see the first ever Halloween Grey Cup in October?

Will both Johnny Manziel and Colin Kaepernick be playing for the Ticats and Alouettes?

Can't answer any with certainty, but I believe Braley won't do anything during the season next year

Ambrosie has said if they do move the season up, it won't be until 2019 as the GC date for next year in Edmonton is already set at Nov 25th, 2018

Manziel - maybe
Kap - can't see it, its not like he needs the CFL to showcase his talets to get back to the NFL, he is blackballed and if he ever came to the CFL its only because he wants to play football

TimB09 Dec 5, 2017 6:00 PM

Don't forget, the CBA for the CFL is up after this year so there will be new league contract talks starting soon here too.

Key points will be players being looked after financially if they are injured and can no longer play football. Lots of players are out there vocally about what's happening there.

Concussions will be a hot topic as well. The CFL and the CFLPA have already agreed to ways to prevent concussions in practice and such but I bet there will be discussions on this.

Player salaries as always will be a discussion point too. I'm sure first year players will want a bump in their salaries and the salary cap will be discussed too.

cjones2451 Dec 5, 2017 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimB09 (Post 8009043)
Don't forget, the CBA for the CFL is up after this year so there will be new league contract talks starting soon here too.

Key points will be players being looked after financially if they are injured and can no longer play football. Lots of players are out there vocally about what's happening there.

Concussions will be a hot topic as well. The CFL and the CFLPA have already agreed to ways to prevent concussions in practice and such but I bet there will be discussions on this.

Player salaries as always will be a discussion point too. I'm sure first year players will want a bump in their salaries and the salary cap will be discussed too.

I am also sure the Canadian (National) QB issue and whether they count as part of the ratio will be front and centre especially with the emergence of Brandon Bridge and to a lesser extent Andrew Buckley.

esquire Dec 5, 2017 6:25 PM

Good point, I had forgotten all about the CBA.

There was a feeling last time that the CFLPA settled for way less than it should have (kind of hard to argue... players are making pretty much the same type of money as they did 30 years ago which is practically unheard of in pro sports, at least on this continent). It'll be interesting to see what impact the next round of negotiations will have on the cap.

jonny24 Dec 5, 2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8009087)

There was a feeling last time that the CFLPA settled for way less than it should have (kind of hard to argue... players are making pretty much the same type of money as they did 30 years ago which is practically unheard of in pro sports, at least on this continent). It'll be interesting to see what impact the next round of negotiations will have on the cap.

If they can get a lucrative NFL Network deal at the same time as the CBA is up, that might be perfect timing to give the cap a solid boost.

cjones2451 Dec 6, 2017 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 8009437)
If they can get a lucrative NFL Network deal at the same time as the CBA is up, that might be perfect timing to give the cap a solid boost.

Would be nice to see the cap go up but I can't see them ponying up that much for basically "filler" programming. ESPN seems to get 250-350K per game, even if they could get that up to 500K, how much would they pay?

GernB Dec 6, 2017 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8009087)

Hopefully the PA can negotiate a cap based on a percentage of gross revenues, like virtually every other league.

cjones2451 Dec 6, 2017 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GernB (Post 8010123)
Hopefully the PA can negotiate a cap based on a percentage of gross revenues, like virtually every other league.

I think until there is some type of revenue sharing, I don't see that happening

esquire Dec 6, 2017 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjones2451 (Post 8009586)
Would be nice to see the cap go up but I can't see them ponying up that much for basically "filler" programming. ESPN seems to get 250-350K per game, even if they could get that up to 500K, how much would they pay?

Good question. The fact that they get those numbers with virtually zero promotion tells you that there is some upward potential there, especially if a big name like Manziel signs on. Even if they got something like US$10 million a year from a US network (not an absurd number given that MLS has a $75 million deal and its ratings on ESPN are literally within that 250-350K range although with more games) then that would make a noticeable difference. You'd be talking like an extra million dollars plus in team revenue per season.

But yeah, at the end of the day it will still be a minor amount relative to what the Canadian rightsholder will pay.

q12 Dec 12, 2017 6:36 PM

ATLANTIC SCHOONERS were just trademarked! :tup:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/tr...ng=eng&tab=reg

esquire Dec 12, 2017 7:13 PM

^ Looks like the rumblings are for real!

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, "Atlantic Schooners" isn't the greatest choice as that will be fully 3 out of 10 teams whose logo will be some form of stylized "A". That will also lead to two teams with nautical themes. But it seems to be What The People Want.

elly63 Dec 12, 2017 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q12 (Post 8016550)

Atlantic Schooners name has been re-registered
3Down Staff 3downnation December 12, 2017

Maritime Football Limited has registered as a business in Nova Scotia and also re-registered for the Atlantic Schooners trademark.

Anthony LeBlanc is listed as the president, CEO and director while Gary Drummond is vice president. They are heading a group that made a pitch to the board of governors for a CFL franchise in Halifax. Part of that proposal was to request a conditional team be awarded in 2018, with games to begin in 2020.

The CFL awarded a conditional franchise to Halifax in 1982 – it was named the Atlantic Schooners – but financing for a stadium never came about. The league played regular-season games in Moncton, N.B., in 2010, 2011 and ’13.

The Schooners trademark has been formalized by the Canadian government.

https://i.imgur.com/W8jPzMo.png

elly63 Dec 12, 2017 9:50 PM

Mr. Gary J. Drummond, Q.C. has been President of Hockey Operations at Arizona Coyotes since May 5, 2016. Mr. Drummond has 35 years of extensive experience directly related to all aspects of reading and understanding financial statements and matters.

He has been Consultant of the energy industry since December 2002. Mr. Drummond served as Chief Executive Officer and President of Direct Energy Marketing Limited, a subsidiary of Direct Energy from 1991 to 2000. He has been an Independent Businessman since January 1, 2003; he served as the President of Direct Energy Marketing, a subsidiary of Centrica PLC.

He served as Queen's Counsel since 1989. He practiced corporate and commercial law in the Province of Saskatchewan, with emphasis on oil and gas, from 1973 to December 1990.

Mr. Drummond served as an Executive Chairman of the Board of Universal Energy Group Ltd. He served as the Chairman of the Board of Just Energy Exchange Corp. (alternate name is Universal Energy Group Ltd.). He has been a Director of Universal Energy Group Ltd. since November 1, 2006. He serves as a Director of Direct Energy Marketing Limited at Direct Energy. He has been a Director of Meliadine Holdings Inc., (Formerly, Comaplex Minerals Corp) since August 1999 and Trustee of Heating Oil Partners Income Fund since March 20, 2002. He has been an Independent Director of Bonterra Energy Corp. (formerly Comstate Resources Ltd.) ("Comstate") a wholly owned subsidiary of Bonterra Energy Income Trust), the administrator (the "Administrator") of Bonterra Energy Income Trust, since August 1999. He has been Director of Geomark Exploration Ltd. since July 2010. He has been a Director at Bonterra Oil & Gas Ltd., since 1999. He has been a Director at Novitas Energy Ltd. since 2001. Mr. Drummond has been a Director at Pine Cliff Energy Ltd. since 2004. He serves as a Director of several public corporations, such as Dynamic Capital Canada Corp., Juno Capital Corp., and private corporations. He served as an Independent Director of Crew Energy Inc. from September 2003 to September 8, 2008. He served as a Director of Churchill Energy, Inc.

He has been a member of the Saskatchewan Law Society since May 1974. He served as a Director of SRX Post Holdings Inc. He is a Lawyer. He holds a BA degree in Economics. Mr. Drummond holds a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Saskatchewan in June 1973.

esquire Dec 12, 2017 9:55 PM

Not to be too cynical, but they can really do just about anything and it doesn't mean much without an answer to the stadium dilemma. Resolving that will be real news.

blueandgoldguy Dec 12, 2017 11:22 PM

Franklin is traded to the Argos. I wonder if they will be able to sign him?

Andy6 Dec 12, 2017 11:32 PM

You don’t “serve as” Queen’s Counsel. I guess some American (or possibly millennial) wrote that bio.