SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Office Space Market (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192174)

agrant Nov 3, 2011 2:35 AM

The view cones could very possibly be toast if there were large enough tenants demanding more floor space. Vancouver simply doesn't get those kind of companies.

ibz Nov 3, 2011 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 5463969)
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few large towers already in the works...

Multiple Landlords are actively marketing projects downtown now, you will see at least 1 announced before year end, with a second following shortly after.

craner Nov 3, 2011 4:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 5465694)
The trend has been pudgy 20 to 30 storey office towers....

it sux!

Waiting for word on some of the bigger office towers - then we can get excited about real office towers again.

Agreed:(

craner Nov 3, 2011 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibz (Post 5466245)
Multiple Landlords are actively marketing projects downtown now, you will see at least 1 announced before year end, with a second following shortly after.

But this is exciting :yes:

caltrane74 Nov 7, 2011 5:45 PM

Parking lot now closed for the new RBC Global Headquarters building down at Harbourfront. 30 Floors. Bay and Harbour.

http://urbantoronto.ca/sites/default...3449-10133.jpg
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/10/...park-place-iii

eemy Nov 7, 2011 11:20 PM

You keep on referring to it as the Global Headquarters. As far as I can tell, Royal Bank Plaza will continue to be the headquarters for global operations and the domestic operations will be headquartered at the new Waterfront office tower.

LeftCoaster Nov 8, 2011 2:03 PM

That is correct.

But "global headquarters" makes Toronto sound so much cooler...

caltrane74 Nov 8, 2011 3:19 PM

No, I honestly thought this building was going to be the global headquarters, to be shifted out of Royal Bank Plaza.

It's an honest mistake.

I'm secretly waiting for Scotiabank to move their Latin Americans Operations headquarters to 45 Bay Street.

lol!

Ramako Nov 13, 2011 5:50 PM

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/loca...-space-soaring

Condos send demand for office space soaring

TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE
Published: November 09, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Quote:

All those new downtown condos that are now home to bright, young workers is helping drive demand for office space away from the suburbs and back into Toronto’s core, a new report says.

Also fuelling the increasing demand — so strong that the vacancy rate for downtown office space fell to 5.1 per cent in Q3 — is interest in new environmentally sound office towers, redevelopment of the waterfront and frustration with long commutes.

Toronto isn’t alone, according to commercial real estate brokerage Cushman & Wakefield’s Occupier Insight Report released yesterday.

Major U.S. cities such as San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston and even downtown Los Angeles are also seeing a significant shift from the suburbs, although their office vacancy rates are still more than double that of Toronto’s.

“Major downtown office markets in North America are thriving in the face of turbulent global economic conditions thanks to smart urban planning which has opened the doors to a younger, educated and plugged-in population that prefers to live, work and play close to home,” says the report.

But compounding that demand in Toronto is an unprecedented condo boom, with some 70,000 new units built in or close to the downtown core in the last five years, notes the report. Another 17,000 are under construction or due to open by year’s end.

That’s provided an instant workforce for the 4.5 million square feet of office space has been added to the downtown core in the last two years alone, with more coming especially in the waterfront area.

freeweed Nov 28, 2011 3:42 PM

Calgary forecast to be tightest office market in the country

rbt Nov 28, 2011 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 5495723)

Not surprising. Calgary today reminds me a lot of Manchester during the industrial revolution. As a Torontonian who likes to invest in junior energy firms; go Calgary!

PoscStudent Nov 28, 2011 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 5495723)

The vacancy rate for St. John's isn't mentioned in another article on this report, though the city is mentioned, but we've had a 0% vacancy rate for class A for the last year.

Calgarian Nov 28, 2011 4:26 PM

Sweet! hopefully we get a couple new tallest buildings going before the middle of the decade.

Surrealplaces Nov 28, 2011 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 5495780)
Sweet! hopefully we get a couple new tallest buildings going before the middle of the decade.

Bring on Herald Square! .....and if the market is crazy enough, maybe they'll add a few more stories to it :yes:

suburbanite Nov 28, 2011 6:45 PM

Hopefully we'll see some more iconic office towers in Calgary. I'd love for one or two towers that are 250m+ just to create some focal point on the skyline. Even the mighty Bow is lost in the sea of towers from some angles.

Tarsus Nov 28, 2011 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 5495953)
Hopefully we'll see some more iconic office towers in Calgary. I'd love for one or two towers that are 250m+ just to create some focal point on the skyline. Even the mighty Bow is lost in the sea of towers from some angles.

Please god, just give us an 850 footer, and one 1000+ footer to go with it, and I'll never ask for anything else :)

whiteford Nov 28, 2011 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarsus (Post 5495983)
Please god, just give us an 850 footer, and one 1000+ footer to go with it, and I'll never ask for anything else :)

what he said:yes:

Architype Nov 28, 2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5495769)
The vacancy rate for St. John's isn't mentioned in another article on this report, though the city is mentioned, but we've had a 0% vacancy rate for class A for the last year.

Because everyone has sat on their "Duff" and done nothing to help matters, yet.

PoscStudent Nov 28, 2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architype (Post 5496198)
Because everyone has sat on their "Duff" and done nothing to help matters, yet.

hehehe...

craner Nov 29, 2011 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 5495780)

Yes, yes, please, please, please :fingerscrossed: