SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   Original concept and ideas for high-rises in San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174096)

JJG Sep 30, 2009 10:41 PM

Original concept and ideas for high-rises in San Antonio

Since I liked doing it so much for Fort Worth, I want to make skyscrapers for San Antonio.
Now, I don't know much about the city. I've only been there once and I admired the older architecture so much that I barely even noticed the more modern skyscrapers in the city, so most of my ideas will draw from that influence. Um.... I don't know if you have height restrictions because it sure seems that way. Either way, I'm still going to make them to the height I think is best, but they wont be too tall.
I think I'll only do 5 or 6 since I don't know how much space there is or which buildings I shouldn't suggest to replace. And my ideas are all just sketch models, nothing too specific. Just enough for you to get the idea.

I'll start this sometime in late October, so if you're interested, stay posted.

JACKinBeantown Oct 1, 2009 6:20 PM

Go for it! Let's see some cool designs.

alexjon Oct 6, 2009 5:37 PM

San Antone?

Urgh.

Dom"n"Converse Oct 6, 2009 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexjon (Post 4492369)
San Antone?

Urgh.

Remember he's from the DFW area, they don't really know that that's a no no down here.

JACKinBeantown Oct 6, 2009 9:24 PM

Hey, the Doobie Brothers said it so it's fine with me (and I grew up in San Antone - io).

Dom"n"Converse Oct 6, 2009 10:19 PM

The stoners?

oldmanshirt Oct 6, 2009 10:40 PM

My grandpa says it. End of story.

Dom"n"Converse Oct 6, 2009 11:45 PM

Alright then

JACKinBeantown Oct 7, 2009 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom"n"Converse (Post 4492780)
The stoners?

Yes.

JJG Oct 7, 2009 4:14 PM

When you grow up in a city next to Dallas and you go to a school with mainly Houstonians and Dallasites, you don't get much info on the other cities.

Hell, even on these internet forums, it's the other cities in Texas are pretty much thrown to the side so ya can't blame me.

But I've found your city's pet peeve so I guess that's somethin'?

Anyway, the buildings are comming up in the last week of October.

tgannaway89 Oct 7, 2009 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJG (Post 4493962)
When you grow up in a city next to Dallas and you go to a school with mainly Houstonians and Dallasites, you don't get much info on the other cities.

Hell, even on these internet forums, it's the other cities in Texas are pretty much thrown to the side so ya can't blame me.

But I've found your city's pet peeve so I guess that's somethin'?

Anyway, the buildings are comming up in the last week of October.

I guess this site being overrun with Austin and SA residents is an exception? :banana:

KevinFromTexas Oct 7, 2009 7:21 PM

2 of my aunts live/lived in San Antonio and called it San Antone.

Onward Oct 7, 2009 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgannaway89 (Post 4494227)
I guess this site being overrun with Austin and SA residents is an exception? :banana:

SA/Austin do run the Texas section. Thats for sure:cheers:

As far as The San Antone deal. Don't see why people get worked up about it. Traveling as much as i do, ive come to realize its mainly older people who use the term "50+" Also Hear Say town, SA, and of course San Antonio. Never heard anyone call it the Rivercity."Outside of the media"

Scottolini Oct 7, 2009 9:31 PM

You hear similar crap in Austin with some of the street names. You hear people say Guadaloop for Guadalupe, or Mancheck for Manchaca. The latter is the one that really irks me because it's so far from how it should be pronounced. I have found it to be quite widespread here, but it does seem more common among 40+ year old Caucasians.

jaga185 Oct 7, 2009 9:59 PM

^^^ Oh man that Guadalupe(loop) crap irks me as well. I don't know spanish much, but I at least know how it's pronounced!

I can't wait to see your buildings jjg.

KevinFromTexas Oct 7, 2009 10:03 PM

The Manchaca one is a bit tricky though, and a lot of people get confused because it is true the town is Manchaca "Man-chock-a". But there's a school there named after a person Menchaca "Men-chock-a". The town was actually named Manchaca after the Manchaca Springs in the area. However, the springs were named after José Antonio Menchaca. :haha:

I've heard people say "Man-chack" (Road) and even "Man-shack". It's about as appropriate as calling Lavaca Street or the river by the name "La-vack". I live almost within sight of Manchaca Road, so I hear it all.

I am guilty of calling Guadalupe "Gwod-a-loop" sometimes. But I only call the street that. The river is of course "Gwod-a-lupay" as it should be.

oldmanshirt Oct 8, 2009 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan101 (Post 4494513)
As far as The San Antone deal. Don't see why people get worked up about it. Traveling as much as i do, ive come to realize its mainly older people who use the term "50+" Also Hear Say town, SA, and of course San Antonio. Never heard anyone call it the Rivercity."Outside of the media"

SA isn't the only city with the nickname "rivercity". I know its one of Kansas City's unofficial nicknames, and I bet you could find someone from every city along the Mississippi who thinks their city is the "river city".

Lando Oct 8, 2009 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan101 (Post 4494513)

"Say Town" really irks me.:hell: San Antone, not so much anymore. Some friends of mine will say "Say Town" just to mess with me.

Anyway, looking forward to your skyscrapers.:yes:

ydoc14 Oct 8, 2009 6:00 PM

I'm sure "San Antone" goes back to the days of the wild west, and so it's appropriate, and this is west afterall...or at least this part of Texas is

alexjon Oct 13, 2009 4:49 PM

I was born and raised in SA, and we never EVER said "San Antone" unless it was an older person.

We're trying to let that one die out. And we're also trying to smother "Saytown" before it gets legs.