SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | The Residences at the Ritz-Carlton | 518 FT / 158 M | 48 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107801)

blorkishdork Nov 9, 2006 7:06 PM

Any one want to make a guess of when this building will come out of the garage and above the ground? I feel we won't see anything until spring, then again I have not seen the site for quite a while.

Robert Pence Nov 9, 2006 7:07 PM

In 1991 I went to Florida by train for Mom's 80th birthday. There was no direct Midwest-to-Florida service, so I went by way of Washington, D.C. and returned by way of Philadelphia, with a deliberately-scheduled layover in each place so I could look around.

Mom's birthday is February 23rd, and I recall seeing the One Meridian Plaza fire on TV news. I think I left the next afternoon, so this photo was probably taken on the 25th. The day was dull and overcast, and it's not a very good scan because my skills still had a ways to go. When I catch up with other stuff, I'll probably rescan it and work it over in Photoshop.

http://robertpence.com/phila/23_phila_1991.jpg

SJPhillyBoy Nov 9, 2006 8:33 PM

Rob 1412, you shared some of your very nice Philadelphia photography before. It is very appreciated. Thank you for sharing again.

McBane Nov 9, 2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omp835
If you look at some of the renderings, it does show a restored wall. Not sure if that indicates the actual intentions of the developer or if the architect was drawing pretty pictures. But I am optimistic.

Not in a million years. Look at renderings of new development in "rough around the edges" areas like northern liberties, broad street (440 lofts or 777 s. broad), bella vista (that condo conversion on 12th and wash) or the delaware waterfront. they always picture nice new sidewalks, trees and even pavement while blurring out the ugly looking industrial lot or vacant properties in the background.

when the project is finished, the blight-ish buildings will still be present as will be the fucked up sidewalk and the dearth of greenery.

probably the best most recent example is the new rendering by bridgmans view tower (avaliable on inga's blog: http://changingskyline.blogspot.com/). i see the new tower and i see the ben franklin bridge. aside from that, since when is delaware ave so nice, sparkling clean and green. and instead of vacant warehouses, suddenly delaware ave has its own highrise canyon? very creative work here.

so in closing, it is doubtful that the developers would be fixing up that wall. and even if you think that they might because of the connection between RATR and the RC hotel - there is no connection - it's just a brand name - like trump.

finally, rob - what an outstanding picture. it seems as though there are no good remaining photos of meridan plaza. it's almost as if photos of this building are a rare collectors item in the nerdy world of philly skyscraper geeks. even though the top is charred, you can still see the impact that this building has on 15th street. it's amazing how it comes right to the street. i can't believe my eyes, i'm not seeing a parking lot there. that photo made me even more excited for RATR than any of there renderings. bravo.

bryson662001 Nov 10, 2006 2:47 AM

Thank you for that post fire picture. God I loved that building......a true masterpiece of design.

relnahe Nov 10, 2006 8:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBane
Not in a million years. Look at renderings of new development in "rough around the edges" areas like northern liberties, broad street (440 lofts or 777 s. broad), bella vista (that condo conversion on 12th and wash) or the delaware waterfront. they always picture nice new sidewalks, trees and even pavement while blurring out the ugly looking industrial lot or vacant properties in the background.

when the project is finished, the blight-ish buildings will still be present as will be the fucked up sidewalk and the dearth of greenery.

I'm too tired to fully entertain this but what was discussed I believe was a giant mural going over the wall. Wouldn't this be obscured by the 1 or possibly 2 buildings going up?

I don't if you notice but usually all new projects in this city whether small, large, or in between redo the sidewalk (if damaged) and plant new trees. McBane, over a hundred posts and I don't think there's one where you're not complaining.

McBane Nov 10, 2006 9:18 AM

true i won't argue that. but my complaints are geared towards positivity. that is, i see enormous potential for philly and i love this friggin city and want the best for it. i complain but am never negative. and if you ever look at my posts in the city discussions and such, i am one the biggest pro-philly boosters around.

some people complain that this city sucks and nothing will ever get done. i complain because philly deserves better. we're a great great city but just need a bit more confidence that's all. relax relnahe.

p.s. the pearl is up to the 3rd floor. not the greatest project in the world but hey, it's one less surface lot, more residents and retail. NO COMPLAINTS HERE :)

one other thing: someone with a good camera ought to check out the view of the city from 32nd and powelton. it's really really beautiful from there.

giamomj Nov 10, 2006 3:38 PM

Meridian Tower (now gone) -

While it's a terrible tragedy that 3 firemen had to die in that blaze - the building was not so hot, architecturally (no pun intended). The south facade was a totally blank wall (think Beaumont - only at 35+ stories). The RATR building will be one of the more inpressive residential towers in the city (Murano not-withstanding) - unless Mandeville is finally a go - which I hope it will be.

Gia

:notacrook:

relnahe Nov 10, 2006 6:24 PM

[QUOTE=McBane]true i won't argue that. but my complaints are geared towards positivity. that is, i see enormous potential for philly and i love this friggin city and want the best for it. i complain but am never negative. and if you ever look at my posts in the city discussions and such, i am one the biggest pro-philly boosters around.

p.s. the pearl is up to the 3rd floor. not the greatest project in the world but hey, it's one less surface lot, more residents and retail. NO COMPLAINTS HERE :)
QUOTE]

Well I agree with that to a point. No city or place or thing for that matter is prone proof from negative opinions. I just felt with certain things brought up you've been too intense. Don't take it the wrong way.;)

I actually wasn't crazy about the Pearl in the beginning but I'm really starting to get in to this project. Does anyone know if its true they can't build along the rails next to the Pearl? Maybe I should direct that one on the new Philly thread.

Chrisb130 Nov 10, 2006 8:04 PM

I will agree with you on the Pearl, it didnt quite interest me when I first heard of the project but I was at Blackney Hayes a few weeks ago and they have a full scale facade mock-up and they are using some very nice high quality materials, and what appeared to be a corrugated metal skin, very nice.

PhillyRising Nov 11, 2006 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob_1412

It's been so long since they finally tore that remains of the building down that I can't imagine that a building of any decent size could fit on the footprint. Seeing this picture does remind me that one did stand there for over 25 years.

The RATR will be majestic while the Meridian was just more brutalism on that corner across from Centre Square (which I still hate).

Joey D Nov 11, 2006 5:34 PM

While we're on the subject, does anyone have any pictures of the skyline with the Meridian in it?

slow-v6 Nov 11, 2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey D
While we're on the subject, does anyone have any pictures of the skyline with the Meridian in it?

I second that.. I really would like to see some shots from the walt withman, or down by the stadiums with one Meridian in it..

mmikeyphilly Nov 11, 2006 11:03 PM

The Meridian, aka. Fidelity Mutual Life Building when it was first erected, was suppose to have a twin in years to come. Hense, the reason why the south wall was mostly blank. It was suppose to be a symetrical twin, in other words the south side would look identical to the North side. But that never happened, unfortunately. That building was a disaster, or should I say a "curse" from the start, (not that I didn't like the design). But, I remember when 3 workers were killed when the scaffolding collapsed from about the 7th or 8th floor, maybe higher, I can't recall at this time. Hopefully, RATR will not go by way of the previous building on that site. By the way, my name is Mike. I was born and lived in Philly most of my life, except for the last year and a half. I have been living in the Florida Keys, Big Pine Key, to be exact. Gosh, the only high rise here is 2 story building, if that. Im moving back November 15th to my home in Port Richmond. My reason for being here in the Keys, was for my brother, and his health. He had cancer, and passed away March 20th of this year. Now its time to go back home. At my home in Port Richmond, I have a deck off the back of my house, and in the winter when the trees are bare, I get a great view of center city! Hopefully, I'll be able to add some photos, when I return home. In the meantime,thanks everyone who contributes to these threads, whether it be photos, or comments. It makes me feel a little less home sick. Great job!:tup:

Cro Burnham Nov 11, 2006 11:28 PM

Welcome home Mikey.

mmikeyphilly Nov 11, 2006 11:32 PM

Thank You Cro! I look forward to seeing that Comcast Center in person! It was just a hole in the ground when I left in August 2005. Thanks for the welcome! :cheers:

Pennsgrant Nov 12, 2006 12:20 AM

Sorry but may I ask what exactly is happening at RARC right now? The progression of this project is excruciatingly slow. The beams that are underground, do they all have to be removed ? I'm trying to get a finger on what the heck is happening here.

PhillyRising Nov 12, 2006 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly
The Meridian, aka. Fidelity Mutual Life Building when it was first erected, was suppose to have a twin in years to come. Hense, the reason why the south wall was mostly blank. It was suppose to be a symetrical twin, in other words the south side would look identical to the North side. But that never happened, unfortunately. That building was a disaster, or should I say a "curse" from the start, (not that I didn't like the design). But, I remember when 3 workers were killed when the scaffolding collapsed from about the 7th or 8th floor, maybe higher, I can't recall at this time. Hopefully, RATR will not go by way of the previous building on that site. By the way, my name is Mike. I was born and lived in Philly most of my life, except for the last year and a half. I have been living in the Florida Keys, Big Pine Key, to be exact. Gosh, the only high rise here is 2 story building, if that. Im moving back November 15th to my home in Port Richmond. My reason for being here in the Keys, was for my brother, and his health. He had cancer, and passed away March 20th of this year. Now its time to go back home. At my home in Port Richmond, I have a deck off the back of my house, and in the winter when the trees are bare, I get a great view of center city! Hopefully, I'll be able to add some photos, when I return home. In the meantime,thanks everyone who contributes to these threads, whether it be photos, or comments. It makes me feel a little less home sick. Great job!:tup:

Welcome home and my condolences on your loss.

mmikeyphilly Nov 12, 2006 4:07 AM

:worship: What a nice person you are!

Thanks Philly!

Much appreciated on both counts!

giamomj Nov 12, 2006 11:17 AM

^Hey MMikey Philly -

My name is Mike(y) too and I used to live in Port Richmond, as well....big 2 and 3 story corner brick Victorian rowhome at Richmond and Venango. I totally restored it over years. Sold it in 2000 (now live in Swedesboro, NJ in a new house I had built - still drive into Philly every day to work). Previous new owners trashed the big ol' Port Richmond place; they lost it in a sherriff's sale; now newest owners are converting it to apartments. Oh well. At least it won't sit fallow and boarded up. I liked Port Richmond...mostly.The drunks at night were scary. Sorry I left before the 15 Trolley car came back!

I could see Center City from my third floor roof. That was cool. Welcome back. What street are you on there?

Gia

:notacrook: