SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northeast (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   See Philly skyline from Lehigh Valley! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183936)

stuboy Aug 7, 2010 3:15 PM

See Philly skyline from Lehigh Valley!

An old obsession of mine that I wanted to discuss...

I grew up just south of Allentown, and on a perfectly clear day you can just seen the Philadelphia skyline from the Southern Lehigh public library which is just a few miles west of rt. 309 outside of Coopersburg, PA.

I thought of this as I was looking through some older posts on here about the farthest points at which people could see various cities. I guarantee there is no further spot to see Philly than what I just mentioned.

I always wondered if I was somehow wrong about this, and a number of years ago did some research, finding that the general region of this library is several hundred feet above sea level, well over Philly's, and if you get on a topographical map you can almost draw a line between various hills between the library and downtown philly and prove that you would indeed have a clear line of sight to this.

Anyway, if any of you want more info on this and ever want to check it out for yourselves, feel free to email me at streeter.stuart@pennmanor.net.

One disclaimer: I don't live in the area anymore and haven't checked this out in a number of years. Hopefully they didn't build any giant structures in the newer development across the street from the library that would block the view.

vasiliymeshko Aug 11, 2010 2:33 PM

It would be interesting to see some photos.

volguus zildrohar Aug 20, 2010 3:25 AM

Phillyskyline took up this issue from time to time. The skyline has been viewed from as far away as Boyertown, Berks County.

This is a Brad Maule helicopter shot from 70 miles away:

This is 30 miles from Apple Pie Hill in the NJ Pine Barrens:

brian.odonnell20 Sep 4, 2010 7:13 PM

since philly and nyc are roughly 90 miles apart, i wonder if there are locations that could portray both skylines in one view. That would be efin crazy.

volguus zildrohar Sep 7, 2010 5:00 AM

That would make for a hell of a shot but it's probably only possible from the air. It's ~60 miles from the extreme northern end of Northeast Philadelphia to the extreme southern tip of Staten Island - something should be possible.

Austinlee Sep 11, 2010 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 (Post 4970743)
since philly and nyc are roughly 90 miles apart, i wonder if there are locations that could portray both skylines in one view. That would be efin crazy.

Wow, that's a good idea. I would love to see someone attempt that.

southphilly1974 Oct 4, 2010 1:21 PM

philly to nyc

When I was flying in from ATL in July on a very clear day, I'm positively sure I was looking at Nyc skyline. I was so geeked.

Austinlee Oct 9, 2010 7:57 PM

Wow, i've been googling every variation of the wording "Philly & NYC in one aerial photo" and I can't find anything even close or any discussions of it. There must be something out there. Google, you have failed me for the first time ever!!

bobo19023 Nov 19, 2010 6:20 PM

Yea i cant find any pictures, but supposedly you can see both skylines from KINGDA KA, in Six flags Great Adventure. I think i saw philly whilst riding, but at 128mph, who really knows...:D

3rd&Brown Apr 7, 2011 8:31 PM

On a clear night, you can see the skyline on 95S in Mercer County, NJ. That's pretty damn far...but not as far as Allentown.

There are a number of developments in Aston, Middletown, Upper Chichester, and Bethel Townships in Delaware County where the skyline is visible from more than a few homes, which is pretty damn cool. It's not something you'd ever see advertised, but it's so unique for this area that it would totally hook me if I saw a house. In some, you only have a view during the fall and winter (when the leaves are down), but in others, you can see it all year.

On googlemaps, if you type in Wisteria Way or Creek View Court for Garnet Valley PA, those streets have year round views. In fact, a number of developments on the south side of Naamans Creek Rd sit on a sort of ledge with a clear view of the city. The 3 homes on the north side of the cul-de-sac of Creek View have what is probably the best view of the city that I've seen from that far out. It'd be awesome to sit on their decks with a beer at night and just chill.

volguus zildrohar Apr 8, 2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Pride (Post 5010358)
Wow, i've been googling every variation of the wording "Philly & NYC in one aerial photo" and I can't find anything even close or any discussions of it. There must be something out there. Google, you have failed me for the first time ever!!

I would think that such a shot would be nearly impossible to get clearly. The distance between downtowns is ~90miles. You'd need to have "severe clear" visibility, the sun at your back (the image would definitely have to be taken from the east, probably over central NJ somewhere) and it would have to be stitched in order to get everything in decent enough clarity to be viewed and identified. You'd probably also have to take it from the air.

jdcamb Apr 8, 2011 12:36 AM

Mt Monadnock in Jaffrey NH is 62 miles from downtown Boston and affords an awesome view...

Austinlee May 18, 2011 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar (Post 5232988)
I would think that such a shot would be nearly impossible to get clearly. The distance between downtowns is ~90miles. You'd need to have "severe clear" visibility, the sun at your back (the image would definitely have to be taken from the east, probably over central NJ somewhere) and it would have to be stitched in order to get everything in decent enough clarity to be viewed and identified. You'd probably also have to take it from the air.

Yeah, that sounds about right. But what I'm hearing from you is that it is POSSIBLE. ;) :D

brian.odonnell20 May 22, 2011 1:37 PM

well, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Austinlee May 25, 2011 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 (Post 5287214)
well, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Thanks mom! :tup:

JK

volguus zildrohar Jun 1, 2011 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Pride (Post 5282212)
Yeah, that sounds about right. But what I'm hearing from you is that it is POSSIBLE. ;) :D

They've found a way to put pretzels inside M&M's. The future is now and anything is possible

Austinlee Jun 7, 2011 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar (Post 5299419)
They've found a way to put pretzels inside M&M's. The future is now and anything is possible

Yes. Thank you science!

SpawnOfVulcan Jun 30, 2011 9:12 PM

We should start a thread that's just for skylines of cities that you can see from other cities. Or, pictures of two separate skylines in one picture. That thread might cause my mind to explode, but I think that's a chance worth taking...

brian.odonnell20 Jul 2, 2011 11:35 PM

started a brand spankin' new thread in city discussions... "Two Skylines In One Shot?????"

brian.odonnell20 Jul 4, 2011 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredici (Post 5333979)
We should start a thread that's just for skylines of cities that you can see from other cities. Or, pictures of two separate skylines in one picture. That thread might cause my mind to explode, but I think that's a chance worth taking...

This idea + 2 days = massive success... thank you so much for the idea