SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Homicide stats in Canadian Cities (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143615)

mersar Jan 14, 2009 7:40 PM

Let's keep it in this one and just change the title.

lubicon Jan 14, 2009 8:04 PM

Works for me.

vid Jan 16, 2009 6:59 PM

Quote:

Police investigate murder
Tb News Source | January 15, 2009

Police are investigating a homicide after a 29-year-old Thunder Bay man died after a Wednesday afternoon altercation.

William Harvey Atkins, 29, of Thunder Bay died from injuries he received from an altercation that took place shortly after 5:30 p.m. in the common area of the Finlayson Street apartment block where he lived.

Thunder Bay Police Service officers have arrested a 31-year-old resident of that same apartment complex.

Officers seized a knife at the scene, and an investigation into the incident continues.

Police haven’t released the names of the victim or the accused. The investigation continues, police said.
Quote:

Police charge murder suspect
Tb News Source | January 16, 2009

Police charged a man with second-degree murder in connection with the death of 29-year-old William Harvey Atkins.

Thunder Bay Police Service officers are now investigating its first case of homicide for 2009, which follow a murder-free 2008. Andre Wareham, 31, of Thunder Bay now faces one charge of second-degree murder.

The suspect is expected to appear in court today.

Police were called to a Finlayson Street residence at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"When they arrived, there was a male who was very seriously injured," executive officer Chris Adams said Thursday. "The individual was taken to hospital but unfortunately succumbed to his injuries."

There was evidence an altercation had occurred and a 31-year-old suspect was found on the scene and remains in custody.

Atkins was pronounced dead at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre about four hours after the altercation. The victim appeared to have multiple stab wounds on his body.

The exact cause of death will likely be determined by a post-mortem examination, which has yet to be scheduled.

Atkins lived with his family, including his mother, girlfriend and one-year-old son, in the apartment complex where the incident occurred.

A new baby is also on the way, said Atkins’ mother Eva McDermott.

"My son, he was a very good young man and an excellent father," McDermott said Thursday morning. "(My grandson) is 18 months … he loved his dad and his dad loved him."

The grieving mother became visibly upset when she expressed her sadness that her expected grandchild will never get to know his or her father.

The alleged altercation took place in a common area in the building and police found a knife at the scene, Adams said.

"That is in our possession and being examined forensically," he said.
About three blocks away from me.

Dmajackson Jan 16, 2009 9:31 PM

While I'm not sure about the murder rate I think the shootings rate in Halifax will drop this year. Our biggest and most infamous drug dealer has been allowed to leave the province for work. :)

blake10 Jan 20, 2009 7:43 PM

Winnipeg is up to 2 for 2009.

<<A 34-year old Winnipeg man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of his girlfriend at her rooming house suite yesterday morning.

Mulugetta Geddy Gillamichael was due to make a brief court appearance this morning.

Gillamichael is charged with the stabbing of his girlfriend, Valerie Payompee at 624 Balmoral Street at around 4 a.m. Sunday.

Police are expected to reveal more details surrounding the woman's death at a news conference this morning. >>

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...nds_death.html

blake10 Jan 21, 2009 7:04 PM

Another one for Winnipeg (now at 3 for 2009).

<<Winnipeg police are investigating the city’s third homicide following a stabbing in the North End just after midnight.

Police said officers responded to a call in the 500 block of Bannerman just after midnight. They found a 38-year-old man suffering from stab wounds who later died.

Several people were at the home at the time when a fight between the victim and another man broke out. Police are describing the stabbing as "vicious."

They have a number of people in custody and plan to say more later today. No arrests have been made.>>

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...y37999394.html

Wishblade Jan 21, 2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 4030502)
While I'm not sure about the murder rate I think the shootings rate in Halifax will drop this year. Our biggest and most infamous drug dealer has been allowed to leave the province for work. :)

Dont be so quick to think so, we just had our first homicide of the year today. Man in his 30's in east preston shot to death in his car.

Dmajackson Jan 21, 2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishblade (Post 4039617)
Dont be so quick to think so, we just had our first homicide of the year today. Man in his 30's in east preston shot to death in his car.

To be honest I'm surprised nobody got shot on New Years. It happens almost every year...I guess they were too busy looking for their jackets :jester:

I looked up the article on the victim today. East Preston hasn't had murder in awhile. To make it stranger though it happened in broad daylight and right next to a cemetary.

Dmajackson Jan 22, 2009 3:52 AM

Heres a little more on the shooting earlier. According to the article below HRM had seven muders last year which I believe is a decrease over 2007. That puts our murder rate at approximately 0.18/10'000 or 1.8/100'000 persons in HRM. Unfortunately StatsCan only does murders by province and they only have the 2007 numbers but in Nova Scotia the murder rate in 2007 was 1.39/100'000 persons.

Man in custody in East Preston homicide

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE and DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporters
Wed. Jan 21 - 8:41 PM

A man in his 30s was shot to death in a car in East Preston on Wednesday afternoon and a suspect was later arrested, the RCMP say.

Police said a second man, believed to be the car’s driver, was also shot but survived with minor injuries.
RCMP spokesman Cpl. Joe Taplin said investigators were able to speak with the wounded man.

Several sources identified the dead man as Andre Slawter. Within hours of the shooting, tributes to an Onnie Slawter were popping up on the Facebook social networking website.

One friend wrote: “R.I.P. Onnie* I Love U & Cant Believe Its Real! — Cherish Tha Ones U Love Cuz Life Is Short Man.”

The murder victim was in the passenger seat of a four-door Chrysler sedan, police said. They said it’s too early to say what kind of firearm was used in the killing or what the motive was.

Cpl. Taplin wouldn’t confirm the murder victim’s name as family members were still being notified. He also couldn’t say where the victim was from.

The shootings took place on Brian Street at about 3:15 p.m.

Cpl. Taplin said officers arrested a suspect later Wednesday afternoon after Halifax Regional Police picked him up on Caledonia Road in nearby Dartmouth.

At about 7 p.m., 107 Caledonia Rd., a tidy grey bungalow, was roped off with police tape. A police van sat idling in the driveway, and a large, dark, two-door car was parked on the lawn.

According to provincial property records, the provincial government owns the home.

The murder is the first in Halifax Regional Municipality in 2009. Last year, seven people were killed in HRM.

Cpl.Taplin said there’s nothing, at this point, to link the shooting death with the case of a missing taxi driver whose burned car was discovered Tuesday in woods in nearby North Preston. Sergei Kostin, 40, hasn’t been seen since Saturday.

“Right now, it’s way too early to even speculate if there’s any relation to that,” Cpl. Taplin said, “but we can never rule it out.”

As of 5 p.m., the body was still in the Chrysler as police waited for the medical examiner to arrive. Cpl. Taplin said an autopsy will be performed.

At 6:30 p.m., police were still waiting for a search warrant that would allow them to open the trunk and begin doing forensic investigation inside the car.

The Chrysler was stopped on the right side of Brian Street just up from a cemetery and near a sign that said the road ends in 150 metres.

Police would not say where the gunman was positioned when the shooting occurred. Forensic investigators will reconstruct the crime scene, Cpl. Taplin said. “Then we’ll try to determine exactly what took place there,” he said.

Area residents, some of whom were visibly upset and hugging each other, did not want to speak to reporters. People stood outside homes on Brian Street or sat in their vehicles while police activity was underway up and down the street. Plainclothes police officers were seen checking the sides of the street, and a police dog was on the scene.

Cpl. Taplin acknowledged that news of the slaying was upsetting to the residents of what he called a “very tight-knit” community.

Deputy Mayor David Hendsbee said the shooting scene is not far from the site of a double murder in East Preston in December 2006.

“I just hope the community will be able to heal itself as it did after the last tragic event,” said Mr. Hendsbee, who represents Preston-Lawrencetown-Chezzetcook on Halifax regional council.

NutmeG Jan 22, 2009 5:20 AM

Montreal just had its best year ever for homicides with just 29 and i would really love it if we went 20 or under this year and i think its actually possible.Not sure but i think were still at 0 for this year in Montreal, can anyone confirm that?

ssiguy Jan 23, 2009 8:34 AM

Blake10...............holy crap! 3 murders already. My hometown of London is 60% of the pop of Winnipeg and only had 2 in all of 2008. Something has got to be done. Vancouver also has a high crime & murder rate. Its times like this I feel like moving back to London.

PhilippeMtl Jan 23, 2009 2:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutmeG (Post 4040377)
Montreal just had its best year ever for homicides with just 29 and i would really love it if we went 20 or under this year and i think its actually possible.Not sure but i think were still at 0 for this year in Montreal, can anyone confirm that?

We are at 3

drew Jan 23, 2009 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssiguy (Post 4042889)
Blake10...............holy crap! 3 murders already. My hometown of London is 60% of the pop of Winnipeg and only had 2 in all of 2008. Something has got to be done. Vancouver also has a high crime & murder rate. Its times like this I feel like moving back to London.

right. Because you have been almost a murder victim how many times?

Quit being so naive. Most if not all of the larger cities in western Canada already have as many or more murders than London did last year.

vid Jan 23, 2009 4:52 PM

I think he meant London Ontario.

===

Well, fuck.

Quote:

Police charge man with murder
Tb News Source | January 23, 2009
http://www.tbsource.com/localnews/index.asp?cid=115294

Police charged a 31-year-old Thunder Bay man with second-degree murder Friday afternoon.

The charge comes after Thunder Bay Police Service officers responded to a call at an apartment on Bethune Street to check on a 37-year-old female.

"When they arrived, they unfortunately found the body of the deceased inside an apartment (on Bethune Street)," said Thunder Bay Police Service spokesman Chris Adams.

Adams said the man now charged with murder called police around 6 a.m. to report his location. He then surrendered to police shortly after that in the common area of the ATAC building of Lakehead University.

The suspect is not a student of the University, police said.

Police identify the victim as Cybil Dawn Stoney, 37, of Thunder Bay.

Both the victim and the accused appear to have been in a relationship and were both residents at the same Bethune Street apartment, police said

Michael Edward Shingabis, 31, of Thunder Bay is charged with second-degree murder and will appear in court on Jan. 27.
No murder for a year then two in ten days. Another domestic dispute. Second one for my neighbourhood this year, this one was closer to my apartment than the last. Of Thunder Bay's last three homicides (or four depending on how you count), all have been in this neighbourhood...

RicoLance21 Jan 24, 2009 1:06 AM

Quote:

Calgary has 5 so far, and we're not done January yet. :???:

Greco Roman Jan 24, 2009 2:29 AM

Quote:

Please stop trying to make Winnipeg out to be some sort of evil city; all of Canada's western cities are suffering from higher murder rates. Please stop and think before you react.

Keng Jan 24, 2009 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greco Roman (Post 4044476)
Please stop trying to make Winnipeg out to be some sort of evil city; all of Canada's western cities are suffering from higher murder rates. Please stop and think before you react.

Ditto and well said..

DowntownWpg Jan 30, 2009 8:00 PM

Early this morning in Danger Peg (aka Winnipeg), we had a death that will more than likely be our 4th homicide of 2009. At this rate, we'll have 52 this year, or one a week. Yikes!

I know some on here try to portray Winnipeg as the next great Metrosexual Paradise, but as a lifelong resident, I can say that this is a view held by very few in this city. The subconscious reason for their naiveté and rapid-fire excuse-making is that it provides the convenience to ignore the root causes, which is all part-in-parcel with the desire to impress those who do not live here.

Now that the snow has been around for a few months, it's quite easy to spot bloodstains around downtown. It's unfortunate, but true. Yeah, we're really a city on the verge of an outstanding reputation!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...e38704507.html

drew Jan 30, 2009 8:28 PM

^ with those kind of number trending skills DowntownWpg, you should really looks towards a career in politics, or at worst a grumpy old crumudgin conservative radio host (I think CJOB has a opening).

Honestly, if you are going to post on this thread please:
a) wait until a death is officially ruled a homicide
b) spare us all your biased and outright offensive commentary.

Until then, please do us all a favour and go suck a rock somewhere.

DowntownWpg Jan 30, 2009 8:38 PM

:previous:
I indicated that my views indeed are unfortunate. But, they are my opinion. I make no apologies. As I wrote above, it may upset some who have an inherent desire to impress those who do not live here.

This is just my reality, and Winnipeg's reality.

"spare us all your biased and outright offensive commentary." - Drew

What? Can't have a certain view/bias on a discussion board? The only reason you find my post offensive is because it does not reflect favourably on the city. I think people are using the word "offensive" way too casually these days.