SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Edmonton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=648)
-   -   RAM - Royal Alberta Museum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190208)

kcantor Apr 7, 2011 11:01 PM

RAM - Royal Alberta Museum

"April 7, 2011

New Royal Alberta Museum to mirror Alberta's past, present, and future

Edmonton... A new comprehensive Royal Alberta Museum will be built in downtown Edmonton starting this year, featuring twice as much gallery space, direct connections to public transit, proximity to the Arts District, and the ability to host major international exhibits and rare artifacts. The new museum will be equipped to showcase both Alberta’s history and its natural wonders, and will be free of the limitations of the current museum site.

“Great urban centres around the world are known for their museums and cultural institutions. They help shape the character and fabric of a community, and bring the past to life,” said Premier Ed Stelmach. “This is an unprecedented opportunity to create a new provincial museum in the heart of Alberta’s capital city that will bring our province’s past, present, and future to life in new and compelling ways.

...”

complete news release at:

http://www.alberta.ca/acn/201104/301...l#backgrounder

photos and video available at:

http://www.infrastructure.alberta.ca/3654.htm

Coldrsx Apr 7, 2011 11:04 PM

Caught me off guard, that's for sure....

104ave could be very interesting in about 4 yrs.

feepa Apr 7, 2011 11:14 PM

Imagine if Stationlands had landed to portrait gallery as well....

ue Apr 7, 2011 11:17 PM

Now we just need something to be put in NEC 101 St/103A Ave to connect the Arts District with the future Arena district.

Jasper and one o nin Apr 7, 2011 11:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tip5KKeAqtk

ue Apr 7, 2011 11:28 PM

Even though it's just a concept, these renderings don't look very pedestrian friendly to me.

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 7, 2011 11:33 PM

Personally, I would have liked to have seen this at the Terrace Building site, but I can live with this. But what happens to the current RAM?

Looks pedestrian-friendly enough to me:

http://www.infrastructure.alberta.ca...t_entrance.jpg

Kevin_foster Apr 7, 2011 11:46 PM

Can you kindly re size that massive image :>

ue Apr 7, 2011 11:52 PM

The entrance and sidewalk are disconnected from the main intersections. It doesn't look like you could cross the street at 103A Ave and 99 Street after hanging out at Churchill, catching a show at the Citadel, or taking in art at the A.G.A. with those little grass islands surrounded by cars dropping people off on the other side. You'd have to walk east to 97th and then back west to the entrance, it seems.

Harrison Apr 7, 2011 11:54 PM

With the RAM moving into a brand new building, that leaves the old building an empty shell. Are there plans to redevelop/renovate it into something else yet, or are plans still be put together?

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 7, 2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison (Post 5232949)
With the RAM moving into a brand new building, that leaves the old building an empty shell. Are there plans to redevelop/renovate it into something else yet, or are plans still be put together?

News article didn't say anything except for the possibility of a new Lt. Gov. residence. But Government House used to be the Lt. Gov residence, so I think it would make sense to revert it back, then turn old RAM into Government House.

s211 Apr 8, 2011 4:11 AM

What a D- minus location. Practically the ass-end of downtown Edmonton.

hilman Apr 8, 2011 5:06 AM

I think its a great location, continues the whole Arts District with the Citadel, Winspear and AGA all along the same street. Add this and the arena to the immediate area and downtown should be bursting at the seams.

Black Star Apr 8, 2011 6:33 AM

Awesome location. We get rid of the post office circa 1899! Then possibly a beautiful building which will be a catalyst for a renewal of China town and dare I say ...The Quarters. This is a good day. And the Flames are out to TeeHee...oops wrong thread.

240glt Apr 8, 2011 2:21 PM

Agreed. Excellent location for this.

Some people will try to find fault with anything that goes on up here it seems. Jealousy I suppose.

EdmTrekker Apr 8, 2011 2:36 PM

never slept last night at all...I am SO pleased withe RAM announcement. It makes total sense as to location. They should have gone there from the get go. With the arena progress, RAM, CKUA move and more ... I am fricken giddy!!! For sure Friday beers to celebrate all of this and toast Mayor Mandel for his vision, drive and delivery. The Mayor stick handles rather well...oh and I want him for another term. Where do we renew his contract early? Let's have a recall vote and request an additional 4 years at the end of this term :). No I am not a political hack ... just live downtown, e-boy born here, passionate about my city. THIS Mayor best ever for sure. I am disappointed in Don Iveson being slippery over the issues on arena...one day he is in the next out. Lack of principals or confidence....supporters of the arena wil not forget he voted no and is in hiding. He will switch his support later when he sees a deal I suppose...but we would not be looking at any deal based on his no vote. Not a risk taker, not a promoter....such a disappointment to me and my city friends. Oh well...let's all get behind Mayor Mandel on the arena and RAM and add our voices loudly to GET THIS ALL DONE!!!

Airboy Apr 8, 2011 2:41 PM

Paper this morning indicated that there was no consultants involved yet and that it would hit the streets soon. Anyone know if that is right

MrOilers Apr 8, 2011 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s211 (Post 5233244)
What a D- minus location.

That's only because there's no museum there yet.

240glt Apr 8, 2011 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 5233572)
Paper this morning indicated that there was no consultants involved yet and that it would hit the streets soon. Anyone know if that is right

What a great time to get back into construction....

NOT! But it would be fun to work on some of the high profile projects that are on the way.. never done automation for an arena or a museum before!

I was very lukewarm about the prospect of moving the RAM to the Leg grounds, but moving it to the "arts District" makes perfect sense, the existing ELPP is a black hole that has had it's number up for some time now. I am excited at the prospect of all this new development wrapping it's way around the CN Tower.

s211 Apr 8, 2011 3:06 PM

Please... this location's one of the least desirable downtown locations. This should be going where the Terrace building is, where you'll at least want to look at the view outside of the expansive windows. Otherwise, it might as well be in downtown Winnipeg; that part of downtown Edmonton is oddly similar.