SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   Community Thread (Off Topic) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203177)

Townie709 Dec 28, 2012 3:52 AM

Community Thread (Off Topic)

Now that we have our own sub-forum, I figured it would be good to have a thread dedicated to random discussion off the topic of development. This is basically the same as the "Atlantic Community Thread". It's just a thread to talk about whatever and get to know each other better!

Hopefully this will help keep the official project thread more on topic and give us a place to chat freely among ourselves.

Let the chatter begin! :)

jeddy1989 Dec 28, 2012 2:43 PM

ok so Where does everyone work? like what kind of jobs?

I'll start, I work for a shipping company (Marine/ Tug and Barge services)

SignalHillHiker Dec 28, 2012 2:47 PM

Marketing and communications for one of Canada's top employers, part of a global corporation that offers the world's number 1 or 2 version of virtually every product it offers. Woot Woot!

Marty_Mcfly Dec 28, 2012 3:14 PM

I work in the manufacturing of biopharmaceuticals, in particular a new line of chemotherapy drug.

Also: great work on the new subform guys! This off topic thread can be a new home for signal when he hits the bottle hard again :p

SignalHillHiker Dec 28, 2012 3:31 PM

Guys, I already apologized lol. I was excited and on vacation. Be nice! :D

jeddy1989 Dec 28, 2012 3:35 PM

HAYYYYY I'm on VAYCAYYYYY!!

http://www.freewebs.com/dustdevil001/drunk_cat2.jpg

hahah sorry

Copes Dec 28, 2012 3:36 PM

Don't apologize. Nothing wrong with a little vacation excitement. I fully support it. ;)

I work for the land development division of a local real estate development company.

jeddy1989 Dec 28, 2012 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes (Post 5952140)
Don't apologize. Nothing wrong with a little vacation excitement. I fully support it. ;)

I work for the land development division of a local real estate development company.

that is like exactly where I'd love to work :)

Copes Dec 28, 2012 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5952141)
that is like exactly where I'd love to work :)

Its fantastic. I came right out of school and got picked up. Considering my interest in development / urban planning / smart city growth, it couldn't have been a better opportunity. There are a pile of developers in the city right now, if anyone is interested in the industry I highly recommend pursuing it. There really are very few Canadian cities that have the level of development currently seen in St. John's. Its gotta be one of the best places to be in the business these days.

In other news, I'm currently stuck in Halifax. Flight got cancelled because of weather. :hell: Trying to go through Toronto now and then to NY (originally it was Montreal --> New York). As long as we make it to NY by 9:30 tomorrow morning, I should make it to Costa Rica. Otherwise... my trip may be over before it begins. Wish me luck.

jeddy1989 Dec 28, 2012 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes (Post 5952144)
Its fantastic. I came right out of school and got picked up. Considering my interest in development / urban planning / smart city growth, it couldn't have been a better opportunity. There are a pile of developers in the city right now, if anyone is interested in the industry I highly recommend pursuing it. There really are very few Canadian cities that have the level of development currently seen in St. John's. Its gotta be one of the best places to be in the business these days.

In other news, I'm currently stuck in Halifax. Flight got cancelled because of weather. :hell: Trying to go through Toronto now and then to NY (originally it was Montreal --> New York). As long as we make it to NY by 9:30 tomorrow morning, I should make it to Costa Rica. Otherwise... my trip may be over before it begins. Wish me luck.

oh no!!

buena suerte!!!

Marty_Mcfly Dec 28, 2012 3:53 PM

Quote:

I hear you. Couldn't land in Halifax last night so I got a lovely vacation to Toronto for the night. I fly out to Hali via Ottawa in a few hours. I'm over this whole winter traveling.

PoscStudent Dec 28, 2012 4:40 PM

Quote:

Did you do anything else after you finished your political science degree?

Copes Dec 28, 2012 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5952204)
Did you do anything else after you finished your political science degree?

I actually did two degrees: a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Business Administration. I used my political science courses as my minor for my business degree, and my business courses as a minor for my Arts degree. It took me five years instead of four, but it was worth it.

But no, I began work right after I graduated. I had a number of jobs in the past that provided me a bit of experience (I worked for ExxonMobil in summer '11, for example). I think it was the combo of two degrees that allowed me to hop right into the field.

SignalHillHiker Dec 28, 2012 4:50 PM

Damn, that sucks, Copes. I hope you make it!

(EDIT: I'm referring to your vacation, of course, and not your education).

PoscStudent Dec 28, 2012 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes (Post 5952205)
I actually did two degrees: a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Business Administration. I used my political science courses as my minor for my business degree, and my business courses as a minor for my Arts degree. It took me five years instead of four, but it was worth it.

But no, I began work right after I graduated. I had a number of jobs in the past that provided me a bit of experience (I worked for ExxonMobil in summer '11, for example). I think it was the combo of two degrees that allowed me to hop right into the field.

Oh cool. I didn't know if you had done anything with regards to development or planning, though there's nothing offered at MUN. If I had my time back I would have given serious thought of doing a double major in business and political science.

J_Murphy Dec 28, 2012 5:37 PM

Great idea for an off-topic thread. Also, loving the fact we have a nicely organized section to ourselves. This really is now the one-stop place for discussion of all things St. John's. Great to see some diversity here in peoples careers.

I am a civil engineer, currently working in the field of environmental engineering, mainly on contaminated sites.

SignalHillHiker Dec 28, 2012 6:44 PM

A question for you all...

Is there any building in St. John's you hate enough that you would tear it down even if the location would have to be a surface parking lot for all eternity?

SignalHillHiker Dec 28, 2012 7:47 PM

Do you think we should have a St. John's Scene thread? For arts and culture stuff? Upcoming concerts, local music videos, whatever?

christopher_chafe Dec 29, 2012 1:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5952354)
A question for you all...

Is there any building in St. John's you hate enough that you would tear it down even if the location would have to be a surface parking lot for all eternity?

Only 1 building? LOL

christopher_chafe Dec 29, 2012 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5952101)
ok so Where does everyone work? like what kind of jobs?

I'll start, I work for a shipping company (Marine/ Tug and Barge services)

Drastically underpaid and over worked Web Developer and Software Developer