SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Does your city have pigeons? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231544)

llamaorama Jan 10, 2018 3:50 AM

Does your city have pigeons?

As the thread title suggests, are there pigeons in your city or not?

I've found pigeons to be uncommon where I live, which is a smaller mostly suburban city. Grackles, sure, but no pigeons.

I was in Houston a few days ago, and sure enough, there were pigeons. But only in downtown, you don't see them in the suburbs much. I wonder where the colonies live and breed and how far they get outside conventionally urban areas?

Any pigeon stories to tell?

dubu Jan 10, 2018 4:01 AM

I saw a pigeon at my dads house in the cascade mountains in Oregon. It was the only one and I think it was eating food from someone feeding squirrels because it would hang ot next to a squirrel. I saw a pretty tropical bird too. Someone lost a pet bird or something. The ravens there are cool.

jd3189 Jan 10, 2018 4:25 AM

In every single major or midsize city's downtown I have been to, I have seen pigeons. But only a few had them outside the city center. NYC has them beyond Manhattan. I remember one pooped on my dad's car when I was in 5th grade in Brooklyn.

Don't know about anywhere else, but some New Yorkers call them "flying rats".

Steely Dan Jan 10, 2018 4:33 AM

Chicago has pigeons, both in downtown and throughout the neighborhoods.

I've also seen plenty of pigeons in evanston, so that's at least one burb with pigeons.

Sun Belt Jan 10, 2018 4:38 AM

I'm trying to think of a city where I haven't seen pigeons. They seem to be everywhere, hot, cold, wet, dry.

The North One Jan 10, 2018 5:49 AM

But does your city have falcons?

LMich Jan 10, 2018 9:27 AM

I rarely see pigeons in my city. But sparrows and starlings are everywhere. A few months back I saw two starlings work as a team to kill a sparrow. It was horrifying. Doves are also fairly common. But, no, I don't see a lot of pigeons in Michigan's capital city.

One of my earliest memories down the road in Detroit, however, are the aggressive-ass seagulls anywhere along the riverfront. Ugh.

10023 Jan 10, 2018 11:34 AM

Doesn't every city have pigeons? At least in temperate climates.

kool maudit Jan 10, 2018 12:58 PM

Lotta magpies here.

niwell Jan 10, 2018 2:23 PM

All of the pigeons. And I'm pretty sure that the main concentration in the city is the plaza outside my office building. Vagrants like to feed them despite signage telling you not to so they often flock by the hundreds and it's quite terrifying.

Nearby Queen's Park is relatively pigeon free due to the residency of a red tailed hawk. You occasionally see pigeon carcasses on the grass before they are removed.

JManc Jan 10, 2018 2:25 PM

Can't recall a city where I haven't seen a pigeon. Houston turns into a Hitchcock movie every November/December when millions of grackles migrate here:

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292...474edf8a_b.jpg

pdxtex Jan 10, 2018 2:45 PM

portland has lots of urban birds. pigeons, seagulls, falcons and CROWS!! lots of crows for some reason. they congregate at sunset in the trees downtown near waterfront. thousands and thousands of crows.

10023 Jan 10, 2018 2:59 PM

"Does your city have seagulls?" might make for a more interesting thread.

Steely Dan Jan 10, 2018 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8042049)
"Does your city have seagulls?"

chicago definitely has seagulls.

most famousy, the seagulls that descend on wrigely near the end of day games.

Why Gulls Love Wrigley Field, Especially After 4 PM

Video Link

what a noisy, noisy bird.

Vlajos Jan 10, 2018 3:11 PM

Yes, we have pigeons, seagulls, cardinals, crows, black birds, robins, sparrows, falcons and bald eagles now, which is crazy.

iheartthed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 PM

I thought pigeons are like rats in that they are everywhere people go. I would like to know of a major urban area that doesn't have pigeons.

Cirrus Jan 10, 2018 3:50 PM

The original name for the birds we call pigeons was "rock dove." Their natural habitat is very rocky places. Thus they love concrete/granite urban centers but don't care much for grassy suburbs. You see them downtown and in very dense neighborhoods, but not in single-family neighborhoods.

Cirrus Jan 10, 2018 3:52 PM

Anyway

A few years ago we had a thread on what urban birds predominate in your city.

Not that we can't do it again, but y'know.

In the urban parts of DC, you see pigeons, sparrows, and starlings every single day. As you move outwards into lower density neighborhoods, you still see the latter two, but the pigeons are replaced by robins.

maru2501 Jan 10, 2018 3:58 PM

the wrigley gulls are awesome. They show up at 4:15 knowing that a roughly three-hour game that starts at the day baseball time of 1:20 should be over and they can scavenge. Decades of training

The random 3 pm game is when they really get confused.

pj3000 Jan 10, 2018 4:28 PM

Pittsburgh... yes, has pigeons.

Erie... yes, has pigeons and seagulls (lots and lots of seagulls).