SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Vancouver Skytrain Track Diagramme (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172865)

lightrail Aug 24, 2009 6:29 AM

Vancouver Skytrain Track Diagramme

Here's a track diagramme I put together showing Vancouver's Skytrain network, including the Expo, Millenium and Canada lines. If anybody has any dates, for station opening or renaming, please let me know.

http://members.shaw.ca/david.marlor/sky02.jpg

agrant Aug 24, 2009 6:32 AM

That looks very impressive!

mr.x Aug 24, 2009 6:37 AM

This is incredible, the amount of detail...wow, well done!

flight_from_kamakura Aug 24, 2009 6:40 AM

that's very nice work.

nname Aug 24, 2009 6:41 AM

Hmm...

I don't know if Commercial platform should count as elevated.. it looks like it but you actually have to walk down to access the station. The same applies to 29th Avenue. Would "Open Cut" or "Trench" be better suited for these stations?

And for the open date:
90.03.16 Scott Road
02.01.05 Sapperton, Braid
02.08.31 Lougheed - Commercial except Lake City
03.11.21 Lake City
06.01.06 VCC-Clark

.. And, its Commercial-Broadway

Other than these, nicely done!

lightrail Aug 24, 2009 6:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 4421402)
Hmm...

I don't know if Commerical platform should count as elevated.. it looks like it but you actually have to walk down to access the station. The same applies to 29th Avenue. Would "Open Cut" or "Trench" be better suited for these stations?

And for the open date:
90.03.16 Scott Road
02.01.05 Sapperton, Braid
02.08.31 Lougheed - Commerical except Lake City
03.11.21 Lake City
06.01.06 VCC-Clark

Thanks for the dates, I'll update it.

Commercial is technically elevated - the mainline train runs underneath it. 29th is shown as grade level, though it is in a trench, still open air and resting on the ground with nobody walking or driving under it.

officedweller Aug 24, 2009 6:43 AM

Very nice!

lightrail Aug 24, 2009 6:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.x (Post 4421394)
This is incredible, the amount of detail...wow, well done!

Thanks - maybe I should get it posted to Wiki once updated

It makes an interesting comparison of station spacing. Canada Line is much more closely spaced on average.
The longest distance between stations is 22nd Street to New Westminster at almost 3km
The shortest is Burrard to Granville at just under 400 metres

nname Aug 24, 2009 6:47 AM

Oh, and for the headway, would "1.8min" looks better than 108sec?
WF - VCC is 5.4 to 8min (I wish they're running every 4min :( )
WF - Bridgeport is 3.75 to 10min
WF - YVR/Brighouse is 7.5 to 20min

I guess I'm being picky :)

CLC Aug 24, 2009 6:49 AM

Maybe should stick with the official name of several stations:
Aberdeen?
Stadium-Chinatown?
Production Way-University?

lightrail Aug 24, 2009 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLC (Post 4421411)
Maybe should stick with the official name of several stations:
Aberdeen?
Stadium-Chinatown?
Production Way-University?

Thanks - I'll update them. Not sure where I got Alderbridge from

NetMapel Aug 24, 2009 6:52 AM

Always love to see a map from you, lightrail :)

With regards to the two "future" stations on the Canada Line, do we have any info on when they will be constructed and operation ?

mr.x Aug 24, 2009 6:58 AM

^ lol, well actually there are 4 future stations for the Canada Line....and for the sake of travel times, I hope only 2 of these are built at the very, very most (Capstan and YVR 3).

Capstan - dependent on funding from developer's in adjacent development plus City of Richmond
33rd Avenue - no idea
57th Avenue - hopefully it never happens
YVR 3 - it'll happen when the international terminal makes a huge expansion on the east side of the facility, YVR would obviously pay for it

NetMapel Aug 24, 2009 7:04 AM

^Oops, totally didn't see the other two expansions. I was refering to the 33rd and 57th avenue expansion because that will be part of my commute if these expansion happens. So, curiously, why do you not want an expansion on the 57th avenue ?

The only reason I wouldn't want those two expansions would be because of time added on my commute, but that's kind of a selfish reason and I realize that :P If these communities deserve a station, they should get one.

deasine Aug 24, 2009 7:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.x (Post 4421422)
YVR 3 - it'll happen when the international terminal makes a huge expansion on the east side of the facility, YVR would obviously pay for it

To be exact, this would be an expansion of the transbonder terminal (USA), then the int'l gates would expand into the 75-89.

mr.x Aug 24, 2009 7:10 AM

^ for the sake of travel times, it's not possible to please everyone along the corridor.

The span from 49th to Marine Drive is the only section of the entire line where the train goes really fast...put a station in the middle of that 1.8-km section and you'll increase travel times by perhaps as much as 2-minutes. A station at 57th Avenue simply isn't a very good idea...I don't see it as important as stations along major streets like King Edward or 49th or stations that connect with malls like Oakridge, Aberdeen, Langara, etc. You know what i mean. They'll just have to tough it out with the Cambie bus.

mr.x Aug 24, 2009 7:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deasine (Post 4421432)
To be exact, this would be an expansion of the transbonder terminal (USA), then the int'l gates would expand into the 75-89.

lol, dang...the Americans get the new shiny terminal wing?

NetMapel Aug 24, 2009 7:13 AM

Man... when are they going to build a HSR linking South Surrey to Vancouver ? :( :( :( That would have been so good... people from Vancouver would want to check out our little communities, no ? lol

hollywoodnorth Aug 24, 2009 1:15 PM

great work! congrats and cheers!

lightrail Aug 25, 2009 5:36 AM

Updated

Okay - thanks for the feedback. I'm still looking for the opening date of Columbia and the renaming date for Main Street-Science World and for Joyce-Collingwood.

http://members.shaw.ca/david.marlor/sky03.jpg