SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Edmonton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=648)
-   -   CFR- Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186330)

240glt Nov 5, 2010 6:27 PM

CFR- Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton

Anyone going ?

Not much of a rodeo guy myself but I was working on the Expo Centre last year at Norhtlands during the event and was impressed by not only the events but the attendance, so I might walk over and check it out. My favorite event by far was the rodeo poker.

Anyways, the downtown cattle drive is this saturday, I'll be checking that out as well.

noodlenoodle Nov 5, 2010 7:19 PM

I'm a vegetarian & animal lover, so the rodeo is not high on my list.

I'll crank up the Hank Williams III though, just to do my little part.

Coldrsx Nov 5, 2010 7:33 PM

I hit the chili cookoff today, tummy so sore now, but i will get a stetson and have a few at a country bar.

240glt Nov 5, 2010 7:37 PM

^ Scotia Place was pretty lively today. I decided to forego Chicken for lunch in favor of some tasty chilli. Now I'm farting up a storm in my office

I will slap on the c'boy hat and boots just for fun sometime next week.

SHOFEAR Nov 5, 2010 8:00 PM

I've always wanted to embrace this event...but I can never enjoy going to it. The rah rah rah military thing that has over taken the before, during and after event ceremonies, nearly getting hit multiple times by confused old farmers in their giant one ton duelie, overhearing these same people while they sit next to you bitching about parking or something....

i love the rodeo events...I just hate everything else about it.

That being said, its a massively important event for the city and it has to be retained at any cost. (see anti indy people, just because you don't partake in something, doesn't mean you have to despise it)

240glt Nov 5, 2010 8:35 PM

Quote:

nearly getting hit multiple times by confused old farmers in their giant one ton duelie
Heh... that's a daily occurance for me while I'm walking my dog through the Northlands grounds

Nevertheless, it is a very important event for Edmonton, Calgary has been trying to covet the event for years & the attendance is huge so it's a huge boost to the economy here.

bulliver Nov 5, 2010 8:46 PM

Not attending the rodeo, not my thing at all...but I will be downtown for the cattle drive. Should be some unique photo-ops.

Hallsy's Toupee Nov 6, 2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5044490)
I hit the chili cookoff today, tummy so sore now, but i will get a stetson and have a few at a country bar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 5044495)
^ Scotia Place was pretty lively today. I decided to forego Chicken for lunch in favor of some tasty chilli. Now I'm farting up a storm in my office

That's the first time I've heard about the chili cook-off. Do I have to mark Edmonton with another EPIC FAIL at marketing their events?

Coldrsx Nov 6, 2010 2:58 AM

^nope... it is a popular annual event.

Hallsy's Toupee Nov 6, 2010 4:10 PM

^ I respectfully call bullshit on that. Where was the advertising on this? Where was the media coverage? People I talked to haven't heard about it or didn't know it was still on.

Coldrsx Nov 6, 2010 5:20 PM

^They had posters up here and there and there was decent media coverage there, CBC and CTV if i recall.

But I do agree they need more awareness.

bulliver Nov 7, 2010 12:41 AM

YE-HAW!

Black Star Nov 7, 2010 3:15 AM

Yippy kia ehh.....very cool pics.

EdmTrekker Nov 7, 2010 5:30 PM

Those pictures are great!.

Coldrsx Nov 7, 2010 5:55 PM

Wonderful shots, yee haw indeed!

Hallsy's Toupee Nov 8, 2010 4:48 AM

My favorite shot is the AGA in the background of the cattle and cowboys. Nice juxtaposition there.

bulliver Nov 8, 2010 10:16 PM

Hey, thanks. That AGA photo has freakin' blown up. It was tweeted and blogged by a bunch of different Edmontonians big into the social media.

noodlenoodle Nov 8, 2010 10:24 PM

As well it should have. It's the nicest shot I've seen of the whole event. Kudos!

240glt Nov 10, 2010 6:29 PM

We served over 1300 people at our CFR breakfast in the TD tower lobby today. Seems like a lot of people are getting into this event, moreso than I've seen in previous years

Airboy Nov 10, 2010 8:28 PM

Hard finding parking downtown last night with everything going on