SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   City Compilations (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   HOUSTON | Development Thread II (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=114123)

YakuzaIce Jan 8, 2012 6:44 PM

Well I went down to see the demolition. There was quite a large crowd. Here's a short video of it. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting them to be so punctual after it being delayed so many times, so I wasn't quite ready for when it started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10liimeD7qU

photoLith Jan 8, 2012 8:44 PM

^
I was there too, I was up on the Holiday Inn roof but they kicked me off. I must have walked past your like 10 times trying to find a good vantage point. I eventually gave up and tried to get on other roofs and The Medical Science Building manager let me get up on their roof where there were a couple other people. You guys down there got smothered in dust pretty quick, I could see everyone running from where I was.

photoLith Jan 8, 2012 8:56 PM

I have a bunch of pictures from todays demolition, so sorry for people who have slow internet speeds.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...herland/de.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...erland/de1.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...erland/de3.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...erland/de5.jpg''

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...erland/de6.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...erland/de7.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...erland/de9.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de10.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de11.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de12.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de14.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de15.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de16.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de18.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...rland/de20.jpg

J-a-x Jan 8, 2012 11:30 PM

Hi,
I'm a long time lurker in this forum, and I've noticed that some of you have posted links to my Flickr photos in the past. I thought I'd post my own YouTube video of the implosion here.

http://youtu.be/6Tvn9yY2BWY

JManc Jan 9, 2012 1:57 AM

What a fucking shame...

AviationGuy Jan 9, 2012 2:39 AM

Hard to believe people applauding something so sad. But then again, most of them weren't around when this building was actually appreciated for it's architectural style.

AviationGuy Jan 9, 2012 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 5542130)
^
I was there too, I was up on the Holiday Inn roof but they kicked me off. I must have walked past your like 10 times trying to find a good vantage point. I eventually gave up and tried to get on other roofs and The Medical Science Building manager let me get up on their roof where there were a couple other people. You guys down there got smothered in dust pretty quick, I could see everyone running from where I was.

Must have been really healthy for the people who inhaled the asbestos dust from the building.

photoLith Jan 9, 2012 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 5542409)
What a fucking shame...

Thats Houston for ya. Weve lost a couple of good buildings in the last year. Obviously the one today, the old YMCA building, the gutting of the amazing interior of the deco Alabama Theater; Ive never been in there but heard that they had gutted it or are gutting it. Im sure Im missing a few others, not to mention the daily demolition of old houses in the Heights area.

TexasPlaya Jan 9, 2012 5:45 AM

Well Houston isn't NYC or similar city where space and land values are high enough to justify pouring the money into restoring older buildings. This building, along with the old YMCA were simply way too expensive just to bring up to code. Far cheaper to just demo and rebuild here.

blacktrojan3921 Jan 9, 2012 6:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 5542436)
Hard to believe people applauding something so sad. But then again, most of them weren't around when this building was actually appreciated for it's architectural style.

I don't really think most people in Texas really give a crap about architectural style in all honesty, especially when you consider they're very fiscally conservative and don't want to waste any "Taxpayer" money on restoring some old building.

JManc Jan 9, 2012 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasPlaya (Post 5542580)
Well Houston isn't NYC or similar city where space and land values are high enough to justify pouring the money into restoring older buildings. This building, along with the old YMCA were simply way too expensive just to bring up to code. Far cheaper to just demo and rebuild here.

and that's why this city has almost zero character left to it.

chrisherber Jan 9, 2012 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 5542833)
and that's why this city has almost zero character left to it.

I wouldn't go that far...maybe not as much character as some other cities, but still up there!

TexasPlaya Jan 9, 2012 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 5542833)
and that's why this city has almost zero character left to it.

I disagree.

Double L Jan 9, 2012 8:33 PM

I'm glad they are tearing down this building and the YMCA building. Both were ugly buildings, the buildings replacing them will be much better. Especially the new YMCA building.

JManc Jan 9, 2012 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisherber (Post 5543035)
I wouldn't go that far...maybe not as much character as some other cities, but still up there!

sure, there are a few areas around the city, the heights being one of them, that still have character but Houston is largely bland due to the fact that anything is up to being bulldozed for the sake of progress. The Water Wall was even in danger of being torn down until the city stepped in and bought the property.


@ Double L, they were knocked down for surface lots. There are long term plans for new buildings on those sites but downtown is full of surface lots that once had structures cleared for development that failed to come to fruition. Remember Shamrock hotel? There's a parking lot there.

Ed007Toronto Jan 9, 2012 9:12 PM

Great photos though a shame for the building. It looked pretty good.

YakuzaIce Jan 9, 2012 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 5543173)
I'm glad they are tearing down this building and the YMCA building. Both were ugly buildings, the buildings replacing them will be much better. Especially the new YMCA building.

I'm guessing this is a joke. Both replacements were built at different locations, and neither site has anything planned for the foreseeable future. Also I certainly don't share your love of the new glass box that is the YMCA building.

photoLith Jan 9, 2012 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 5543173)
I'm glad they are tearing down this building and the YMCA building. Both were ugly buildings, the buildings replacing them will be much better. Especially the new YMCA building.

Are you kidding me, have you seen the new YMCA building? Its terrible looking and is only 2 stories tall. The Franzheim Building was not a gem, but it was an historic building and nearly 11 stories tall. The former location of the YMCA and the Prudential Life Building will sit as parking lots for the foreseeable future. The old YMCA spot will probably be a parking lot for decades I would imagine.

AviationGuy Jan 10, 2012 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 (Post 5542608)
I don't really think most people in Texas really give a crap about architectural style in all honesty, especially when you consider they're very fiscally conservative and don't want to waste any "Taxpayer" money on restoring some old building.

You just characterized a large part of the U.S. Perhaps it's not that way in Canada.

AviationGuy Jan 10, 2012 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 5543173)
I'm glad they are tearing down this building and the YMCA building. Both were ugly buildings, the buildings replacing them will be much better. Especially the new YMCA building.

You can't be serious. The old Prudential Building, with the Rock of Gibraltar emblem, was a gorgeous structure in its prime.

As an aside, I saw on the news today that the main reason the building was demolished was that the foundation was failing, and it would have been prohibitively expensive to repair it, if possible at all.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.