SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   New Seabus: Burrard Pacific Breeze (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152673)

Pinion Feb 11, 2010 5:39 AM

I would start one now but I have a shitload of things on my to-do list that are higher priority. Feel free to start one yourself and promote it here, anyone.

jsbertram Feb 11, 2010 9:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Gull (Post 4654415)
What a disaster.

Memo to TransLink: Your new SeaBus is a LEMON.

Should we start making arrangements to have it shipped to Dubai like the FastCats?

Maybe we can throw in the McBarge to sweeten the deal.

Pinion Feb 11, 2010 11:23 PM

Just got a text alert around 3ish saying that the seabus service is delayed indefinitely due to a police incident. What could cause all three ferries to stop running a day before the olympics?!?

Police incidents (aka jumping on the tracks) is normal with skytrain but the seabus never has these.

Rusty Gull Feb 11, 2010 11:32 PM

Remember that the smallest thing can cause a serious police incident on the Seabus, since it is governed by Transport Canada. In other words, certain crimes -- even something like jimmying the door open to squeeze in -- can be a federal offence.

Rusty Gull Feb 11, 2010 11:33 PM

From CTV.ca - at least it wasn't an on-board incident.

Lonsdale Quay terminal in North Vancouver was shut down Thursday afternoon after police were notified about a suspicious package in the area.

SeaBus service and the bus loop were evacuated while police investigated.

Officials are bringing in explosive experts and sniffer dogs to the scene.

A member of the public notified the officials around 2:30 p.m.

Lonsdale Quay is a major transit hub connecting Vancouver's North Shore communities. It is the northern terminal for the SeaBus passenger ferry, which crosses Burrard Inlet to downtown Vancouver every 20 minutes.

SpongeG Feb 12, 2010 1:05 AM

stll shut down

suspicious package was detonated seabuss not running yet - just saw on global news

Pinion Feb 12, 2010 2:45 AM

Got a translink text that it is running again... three hours later... I get off work at 3 usually, thank jeebus it was my day off.

Rusty Gull Feb 12, 2010 4:51 AM

It was a fishing rod.

djh Feb 12, 2010 5:05 AM

What a freaking dream for the anti-Olympics people. If all it takes to shut down the transit system and grind the city to a halt is for one of them to leave a fishing rod case unattended...sheesh! They will be leaving them all over the city!
There are so many bottlenecks in this city that if any of them had the brainpower to do it, the city would be shut down. Any of the bridges, tunnels and main thoroughfares, and especially any of the routes that have no alternative ways around (Sea To Sky Highway?) - I really really REALLY hope there are MONITORED video cameras watching all of these places AND officers on the beat right there.

Otherwise...I bet we'll be seeing many events postponed whilst the police have to investigate every single incident. That would look so so bad.

jsbertram Feb 12, 2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djh (Post 4695512)
What a freaking dream for the anti-Olympics people. If all it takes to shut down the transit system and grind the city to a halt is for one of them to leave a fishing rod case unattended...sheesh! They will be leaving them all over the city!
There are so many bottlenecks in this city that if any of them had the brainpower to do it, the city would be shut down. Any of the bridges, tunnels and main thoroughfares, and especially any of the routes that have no alternative ways around (Sea To Sky Highway?) - I really really REALLY hope there are MONITORED video cameras watching all of these places AND officers on the beat right there.

Otherwise...I bet we'll be seeing many events postponed whilst the police have to investigate every single incident. That would look so so bad.

With all the thousands of new olympean security cameras installed, no doubt there is a clear video of the person leaving the package & wandering away.

CPMech Feb 15, 2010 6:13 PM

Screw you.....oops sorry did I say that out loud

I dont have a delete button on my keyboard...:shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCPhil (Post 4657114)
Built in BC with pride.

If we can't even build a seabus right it's a good thing we didn't even try full sized ferries. Our quality craftsmanship has really gone downhill since the 80's. It's like no one cares about what they build anymore.

In your 'expert opinion' what is wrong with the new seabus?

Next time you take the opportunity to ride a ferry of any kind in BC take a minute to think about where it was built.

With the exception of the stellar new ferries we got from Germany, they were pretty much all built here. I work in the ship building industry and have seen the "new" ferries in the drydock alot more than any other style built in BC. Hell they were in the drydock for repair before entering service!

If anyone is really interested in why the old Seabus' are going out of service, do some research. Ask Transport Canada why. They are old!

BCPhil Apr 20, 2010 8:07 AM

Just curious: Went over to the North Shore today and the new seabus is out of action and the two old ones are in service. Anyone know why?

jlousa Dec 19, 2011 10:36 PM

Hate to revive an old thread but this seems to be the best place for this, at least for the time being.

Translink who didn't have money to run 3 seabus has just issues an rfp to build another new seabus, with an option to purchase another one. I don't fault them as the old ones are certainly old, but they could've been refurbished one at a time for significately less money. Good news I guess but doesn't seem to be the most efficient use of funds for a cash strapped organization.

RFP
http://www.translink.ca/~/media/docu...20rfp%202.ashx

SpongeG Dec 19, 2011 10:46 PM

well if its like most public sector things if they don't spend the money they don't get it - my friend works at the hospital for instance they get $$ every year or so to renovate like certain areas but have no funds for staffing or other things or more importance but the staff rooms and waiting areas get a nice makeover - if they don;t take the money for those renos they don't get the $$ at all

wrenegade Dec 19, 2011 11:03 PM

Great, we're going to get another boat with a stupid name. Is maintenance really that expensive on the original Seabuses? Why can't they just be refurbished? I actually prefer them to the new one. Unhappy to hear this news. Especially considering there are still only 2 in service.

nname Dec 19, 2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleet Management Staff from TransLink
One of the biggest concerns with the SeaBuses is their hulls– as Allan mentioned, they’re aluminum-hulled, rather than steel-hulled. As a steel vessel ages, the primary concern is corrosion; with aluminum, it’s fatigue. The Beaver and Otter have had problems with fatigue cracking of their hulls. Naturally any such cracks are repaired ASAP, but those “throw everything aside and fix it now” repairs are expensive. After a major refit, during which we would repair any obvious cracks, we would still be at risk of new cracks developing, causing poor reliability of the vessel on into the future.

Source: http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php...for-the-games/

aberdeen5698 Dec 19, 2011 11:34 PM

There have been two issues with putting more Seabuses into service:

- having the available vessels, given the need for both of the old vessels to have an extensive refit (until the new Seabus launched neither of the old vessels had been out of service more than 48 hours)

- increasing service on the North Shore to match the increased Seabus frequency. Increasing the Seabus frequency won't be of any benefit to most people unless the frequencies of many of the bus routes are also increased to match, since the majority of North Vancouver bus route are scheduled to deliver people to and receive passengers from it.

The latter point is the one where costs come into play, and when people say "there isn't enough money to run a third Seabus" you have to bear in mind that the bulk of the cost is in the increased bus frequencies, not in the third vessel and crew per se.

So if they're putting out a tender for a fourth Seabus then perhaps it could mean that with the new funding that's become available they've found enough money to go ahead with the whole package.

Or maybe they've just decided that, amortized over the next 30 years, running and maintaining the two new Seabuses will be cheaper than keeping one or both of the old ones in service. The new ones are more fuel efficient, after all.

Pinion Dec 19, 2011 11:43 PM

Great news. I haven't used a seabus since I bought a car last March but I would like to be able to sell my car and use somewhat reasonable public transit one day.

Matching up with the buses isn't as important if the seabuses depart frequently. And with the amount of new condos going up in NV, the demand will only grow.

officedweller Dec 20, 2011 12:43 AM

Note the following options in the RFP.
The additional vessel would be a 3rd new Seabus.

Quote:

1.2 Overview and Purpose

1.2.1 Through this RFP, TransLink is seeking proposals for:

1.2.1.1 supply of one (1) Vessel as more fully described in the Specifications (Appendix A) included in this
Appendix 1;

1.2.1.2 option to purchase up to one (1) additional Vessel (refer to Section 1.6 of this Appendix 1);

1.2.1.3 options to dispose of:

1.2.1.3.1 TransLink’s current operating SeaBus (“Burrard Otter”) (refer to Attachment 3 of the RFP
Documents); and

1.2.1.3.2 TransLink’s two (2) retired Albion Ferries (refer to Attachment 3 of the RFP Documents).

aberdeen5698 Dec 20, 2011 4:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion (Post 5522261)
Great news. I haven't used a seabus since I bought a car last March but I would like to be able to sell my car and use somewhat reasonable public transit one day.

I commuted via Seabus for decades and found it a terrific service to use. It doesn't have high frequency, but it has services that connect to it consistently and the vessels themselves are very, very reliable. I don't know what the stats are, but I'd be willing to bet that the Seabus has a lower percentage of missed departures than any other Tranlink service.

Those connections, reliability and the incredibly easy to remember schedule made the service very easy to use. And I always loved the trip across the harbour because it showcased the beauty of the city and the mountains so well.