SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   Medium Format: Should I? (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=173320)

Vascilli Sep 8, 2009 12:10 AM

Medium Format: Should I?

I've been toying around lately with the idea of buying a medium format film camera, likely a Mamiya 645 or similar. There's something about the beautiful subject isolation and intense contrast that appeals to me, and the falling prices don't hurt either. Are there any labs that still develop it, and how much does that typically come out to? (I've never actually shot film, let alone MF) I can handle film prices, they're not terrible.

1ajs Sep 29, 2009 7:32 AM

so did u take the plung? if not its quite fun go for it

i've got a pentax 6x7 (45mm 92mm and 126mm) and a rolleicord with a big box of fuji chrome slide film in the freezer and a nice manfronto tripod and head to mount them on

CorporateWhore Sep 29, 2009 1:56 PM

I have two medium formats myself.....one a Hasselblad 503 and a Mamiya 7ii Rangefinder, and they are both amazing cameras. If you have the patience and a little bit of spending money for processing, the quality of medium-format film is worth it. You're going to quit taking pictures, and start taking photographs!

I would actually really recommend the Mamiya 7ii. The great thing about them is that they are medium-format, in a fairly compact, SLR-size body. This makes it very easy to travel, which can be an issue with some of the other cameras (ie the Hassy). It also has a built in meter, which some of the medium format's dont. Mamiya also makes a collapsible lens version (the Mamiya 6) which is even more compact, but doesn't allow for interchangeable lenses. And speaking of lenses, the one on the Mamiya is simply amazing, one of the best ones I have ever used. It's sharper than the Zeiss on my Hassy.

The good thing about medium format's is that they are relatively affordable compared to that past, although they have had a bit of a resurgence lately.

The bad thing is that film/processing isn't cheap (it comes out to about $1-$1.50 a frame for me) and can be a bit of pain depending on where you live. For a me, access to a lab is not a problem, since I live in NY and there are dozens of labs that process film for the industry. But if you live in Calgary, I don't think there is anyone who processes film directly there anymore, although I might be wrong on that one. My dad (who has a large format) sends his out to a Lab in Vancouver.

1ajs Oct 4, 2009 9:11 AM

what? no one does 120 in calgary???? how bizzar i can take my stuff in here in winnipeg with no problems http://www.thelabworks.com/tradition...ilmprocessing/

devonb Oct 4, 2009 10:08 PM

I've been looking for a lab in Calgary to develop my own 35mm black and white, but haven't found anything. Not to hijack this conversation, but does anyone know of a lab/club you can develop your film at? I know I can take it to some companies and they'll do it for you, but as a hobby I'd like to do the work myself.

I have an Nikon F3 with quite a few lenses and would love to get back into it again. In Vancouver, I was part of the UBC photo club. It was $70 for a membership that gave you use of the equipment and chemicals for the year. I would love to find something like that in Calgary. I have no place to set up my own darkroom at home, otherwise with equipment being so cheap now, I'd do that.

Next on my list: Nikon D700. The full FX sensor means all my Nikon lenses would work on it. I'm half way there with my savings...

Vascilli Oct 4, 2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4479943)
so did u take the plung? if not its quite fun go for it

Not yet, I'm waiting around for a good deal and some money to buy it with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorporateWhore (Post 4480142)
I have two medium formats myself.....one a Hasselblad 503 and a Mamiya 7ii Rangefinder, and they are both amazing cameras. If you have the patience and a little bit of spending money for processing, the quality of medium-format film is worth it. You're going to quit taking pictures, and start taking photographs!

I would actually really recommend the Mamiya 7ii. The great thing about them is that they are medium-format, in a fairly compact, SLR-size body. This makes it very easy to travel, which can be an issue with some of the other cameras (ie the Hassy). It also has a built in meter, which some of the medium format's dont. Mamiya also makes a collapsible lens version (the Mamiya 6) which is even more compact, but doesn't allow for interchangeable lenses. And speaking of lenses, the one on the Mamiya is simply amazing, one of the best ones I have ever used. It's sharper than the Zeiss on my Hassy.

One of the lenses that's really been piquing my interest is the Sekor 80mm f/1.9, which only fits on 645 bodies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4488951)
what? no one does 120 in calgary???? how bizzar i can take my stuff in here in winnipeg with no problems http://www.thelabworks.com/tradition...ilmprocessing/

I found a place downtown that will develop 120, it's that photo place in the Core. Go inside the McDonalds on Stephen Ave, then go into the mall and it's right there. Something like $10/roll.

gorebug Oct 5, 2009 3:41 PM

Vistek is where I take my 220 rolls to in Calgary. Albeit it has been over a year since I last had any processed.

Speaking of which, if you want an inexpensive entry into MF, I would be willing to sell my Mamiya 330 TLR. I also have a couple boxes of 220's that I would include.

The 33O does shoot a full 6x6 and can be fitted with interchangeable lenses.

PM if you are interested.

~gorebug

1ajs Oct 5, 2009 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vascilli (Post 4489571)
Not yet, I'm waiting around for a good deal and some money to buy it with.

One of the lenses that's really been piquing my interest is the Sekor 80mm f/1.9, which only fits on 645 bodies.

I found a place downtown that will develop 120, it's that photo place in the Core. Go inside the McDonalds on Stephen Ave, then go into the mall and it's right there. Something like $10/roll.

thats good to know txs

1ajs Oct 5, 2009 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonb (Post 4489526)
I've been looking for a lab in Calgary to develop my own 35mm black and white, but haven't found anything. Not to hijack this conversation, but does anyone know of a lab/club you can develop your film at? I know I can take it to some companies and they'll do it for you, but as a hobby I'd like to do the work myself.

I have an Nikon F3 with quite a few lenses and would love to get back into it again. In Vancouver, I was part of the UBC photo club. It was $70 for a membership that gave you use of the equipment and chemicals for the year. I would love to find something like that in Calgary. I have no place to set up my own darkroom at home, otherwise with equipment being so cheap now, I'd do that.

Next on my list: Nikon D700. The full FX sensor means all my Nikon lenses would work on it. I'm half way there with my savings...

check these guys out quick google came up with them in the BBB database

Name: The Village Studio
Phone: (403) 281-0444
Address: 24, 2580 Southland Drive SW
Calgary, AB T2V 4J8
Original Business Start Date: January 1981
Principal: Randal Allcock, Owner
Customer Contact: Randal Allcock, Owner - (403) 281-0444
Email Address: rallcock@telusplanet.net
Type of Business: Photographers-Commercial, Photographic Darkroom Rental

as for cameras your lens's will work fine on the crop sensor dslr's ur lens's will just be 80mm instead of 50mm or something like that

devonb Oct 6, 2009 12:53 AM

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I know my lenses will work with all Nikon's DSLRs, but going higher end with an FX sensor means that my 50mm will be a 50mm, instead of the DX format which then makes my 50mm an 80mm.

Vascilli Oct 7, 2009 5:27 AM

Vistek will process 120/220 film for $4.50/roll and $6.50/roll. I thought I'd let you all know. (Why didn't I think about them to begin with?)

Vascilli Mar 18, 2010 2:43 AM

I'm digging this up with a recent development. I'm pretty sure my first film setup will be large format, either 4x5 or 8x10. Reason being the large amount of lens movements and the even better image quality. I'm also going to try to turn a scanner into a digital back. Won't this be interesting..