View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:07 PM
New Yorker for life

https://w42st.com/post/hells-kitchen...ousing-crunch/

Hell’s Kitchen Skyline: NY Lawmakers Consider Lifting Building Height Restrictions Amid Housing Crunch

by Dashiell Allen
April 3, 2024

Quote:
Lawmakers in Albany are considering lifting a restriction on the density of residential buildings in New York City, known as the Floor-Area-Ratio (FAR) cap, that could potentially allow more tall residential towers to rise across Manhattan, including at sites in Hell’s Kitchen. Those in favor of nixing the current rules say it would help the city build desperately needed housing, while retractors fear it could alter the character of low and mid-rise districts, without yielding enough affordable units.
Quote:
Hell’s Kitchen Assemblymember Tony Simone told W42ST on Tuesday that he supports the measure passed by the Senate, and thinks any new development should be subject to the city’s Universal Land Use Review Process (ULURP), which requires input from the community board and an opportunity for the public to weigh in.

“I think it would be determinative on the scale and character of the neighborhood,” Simone said. “I just think a broad cap is kind of yesterday — we should look at a forward-looking way of increasing density.”

Simone, who lives near Hudson Yards, added that empty lots, such as Site K opposite the Javits Center (418 11th Avenue), could produce more housing, including so-called affordable housing, if the FAR cap is lifted.

“I look at the huge skyscrapers of offices and luxury towers in Hudson Yards, many [of which] sit empty,” Simone said. “I think there should be some flexibility on density if we can create more housing supply and that should include middle income housing. It shouldn’t just be a playground for the rich.”

Simone said he is also eyeing the site of the now-demolished Hotel Pennsylvania at W33rd Street and 7th Avenue, which was originally set to become an office tower as part of the plan to build a new Penn Station. Simone said the site is part of a state General Project Plan, allowing the state to override local zoning, and could be redeveloped into more housing if the cap were lifted.

“What we need is to build affordable housing for the middle class,” added Simone. “It is outrageous and upsetting that in my district, Hell’s Kitchen and Chelsea, folks who grew up there are being priced out of their homes.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.