View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Team name and branding really don't have anything to do with that team's following, it's a mixture of history, success, community outreach and the market itself. The LA Chargers have no following in Los Angeles, and a change in team name and branding wouldn't do a bit of difference. The New Orleans basketball team was the Jazz, then they got the Hornets, then they now have the Pelicans name... They're not any more or less popular as the Pelicans as they are the Hornets, just depends on the success of the team.

People here won't decide to support or not support the team based on the name or branding. They may choose to buy less or more merchandise based on that, but the overall support of the team has nothing to do with the name. You'll support the players if you like them, or if they're winning.
I mostly agree with you that people don't choose teams because of branding. (Although, I disagree that it makes no difference. It absolutely does.) My point is that when someone is a fan of a particular team, long-term, what are they actually a fan of? The Raiders are a good example here. They haven't been good for over 20 years, the players, coaching staff etc. has changed and they have even changed markets yet, there are allot of passionate Raiders fans. Even outside of Nevada.

My point is that the "team" people are a fan of, is the branding and not the literal team (Unless the team is really good.) A bad team name may not prevent Utahans from being fans (although it may prevent them from wearing their colors) but it is literally the team's identity and deserves serious thought and discussion.