View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2024, 12:56 AM

I don’t think Netflix had much of anything to do with getting ATL. I think it’s fair to say the people represented at the announcement were the ones who were the key stakeholders and people pushing for it. It’s been a year, but I’ll say I have a fair bit of certainty of who was represented from several companies and organizations that were at the announcement, nobody from Manitoba Film and Sound or any production companies were there.

We should also call the provincial support what it is - a revenue guarantee, not a subsidy. It is my understanding it is not paid if revenue is met, and not ongoing, but for a certain startup period only to develop the route.

Doing that support again may or may not help get NY, but I think a different support might be needed to get Europe. Any real route that would support business would probably be to a slot constrained airport. Some sort of method to help buy slots - with the condition that they would be paid back at the increased value of the slot later (to make sure carriers don’t flip them to other cities if more convenient to them if they become more valuable).