View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
UIC's problem for me has always been that the pieces don't hang together all that well. there are some absolutely fantastic works of brutalism like university hall or the science and engineering offices, but then there are those atrociously ugly walter netsch "snow flake" buildings like the art and architecture building that are just bad, bad, bad.
the art and architecture building is a catastrophe that needs to be knocked down, but the other "snow flake" buildings aren't quite as bad. But they are terribly terribly confusing, thats for sure

But UIC gets a lot of crap, and i really don't think it deserves all of the crap it gets. I mean, compared to NIU, UIC is... i dunno, much better. I work in the science and engineering offices building, and I've taken many flattering pictures of it.

The thing is (and here's the part of the post thats probably most relevant to this thread), when i first started at UIC a few semesters ago, there wasn't a building on campus that I liked. But I really don't think I have the architectural appreciation that I do now (in fact, the only names of buildings I knew downtown were sears, jhc, aon, and wrigley). Having been both, architecturally appreciative and architecturally inappreciative people are just two different animals. if you don't appreciate architecture, then a building either looks good at first glance, or it doesn't. I've never been to IIT's campus, but UIC makes me very happy. but you bet your ass UIC would have been on that 20 worst list had the author ever heard of UIC ("oh, you go to USC? awesome! what are you doing here?" .... assholes)