View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 8:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
There are a half dozen dorms around campus of equal size, so I think the scale is perfect. It's not anymore overpowering than Illini Towers.

And it's a natural progression. When I was there in the 90's, the new apartment buildings were all being built out of walking range of campus, where you had to drive to class, and then where do you park?

Campus needs more density than the ubiquitus 4 story apt building, and Campustown has been long overdue for increased student housing, where the holy trifecta of class, food and beer are all steps from your door.
Im not saying its out of place necessarily in height its just funny. I meant to address the "scale" from a street level and human environment perspective. Presidential tower is tall but pulled off the street, as well are many campus dorms or apartments. Only now for the past 6-8 years the trend is here that buildings are tall, on the street and have streetside retail. This will give campustown an even greater urban feel of a neighborhood on the northside of Chicago yet its only a simple college town that take 10 minutes in a car to see a cornfield. Im not against it. I wish it was there when I was, rather than the ratty/dirty Green Street that was there then. As students we often argued that we were unsure of thier traffic plans and attention to beautification would actually last into a long running transformation. I'm certainly glad it has.

Last edited by CenIL_LA; Feb 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM.