View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikerrin View Post
Exactly! I don't understand why commuter rail is not factored into this plan though. We can serve Barhaven with the existing Via line and we could serve southern Kanata with a line out to Arnprior. Make sure that there is one stop to transfer to the O-Train, and then a terminus at the Via Station and then Kanata and Barhaven are part of the system. The great thing about commuter rail over LRT is that it runs fast and it has enormous capacity.

I don't see why we are fixated on just LRT for our Rapid Transit system. Go trains are a lot more rapid than subways in Toronto.
I think commuter trains need to serve very large populations to be cost-effective and to get frequency of service, but I agree that an electrified, fast way to get from our growing "suburbs" - Kanata, Barhaven, Orleans and even Gatineau, would be a step in the right direction. Finding the right technology to accomplish this goal isn't so easy. BRT isn't quite green, trolley buses are limited to 80 km/h and LRT is much too expensive.