Thread: Panhandlers
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
I agree the homeless are not the primary problem downtown. However, attacking the problem from just one end (trying to attract more people to balance out the demographics) is one thing.
[B]
But on the other hand, there's many more pro.....
I lived on the mountain pretty much my whole life; my family still lives there. I currently live right near McMaster.

I do agree with much of what you said, and as a Psychology student I have learned about weed and it's effects as a gateway drug. One of my profs actually specializes in the psychology of drug addiction. This is not always the case though; many people are casual users and never take it any further.

That being said, I do have plenty of friends who smoke weed too often and suffer from motivational deficits, and at times cognitive deficits as well. I have also witnessed it as a gateway to harder drugs.

I just find it funny that people make such a big deal about illegal drugs [not saying that you were, just people in general] that are not addictive, and in many cases don't act as gateway drugs, yet they are perfectly fine with alcohol being legal. We have people living on the streets who are addicted to alcohol and get their fix through ingestion of Listerine - this is a much bigger issue.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. It may have gotten a little bit off topic but it all relates to problems people face, and those problems unfortunately have a negative impact on the rest of the society. I think the saddest part is that it is pretty much inevitable; when it comes down to it there will always be people who have a predisposition for being more reckless than others, and unfortunately as a consequence they are more likely to live this type of lifestyle.