View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:01 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I havent had photoshop for 4 years and have not really been editing my pictures since Ive just had iphoto, but I got photoshop lightroom 3 today for Christmas and its pretty freaking amazing. Heres one of my more favorite pictures I took this year and then a before and after with photoshop. Its amazing how just adjusting the white balance can make a photo so much better.
Impressive! I've always liked the subject matter in your photos and the dynamic way you often compose them. Seeing the color corrected to the way the eye subjectively views the scenes increases their impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
LOL. Im wondering how many years ago this happened and how hot was this woman that this memory is still so vivid.

But yeah you can edit a lot of unwanted things out with PS that you could never do with film. Or at least not nearly as easy.
The only thing hot was the hot pink color of the shorts. Think flab, loose and jiggling wherever it wasn't constained by excessively-tight clothing. Ghastly memories are harder to erase than sweet ones, and if certain songs can be earworms, certain sights can be eyeworms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
... But I don't even see why you would bother, if you know how to make a proper exposure in general (and keep in mind you need not be on the dot with negative film anyways, due to genuine HDR), the film photo should turn out fine on its own, what with the special looks each film has.
True, with qualifications. Film has a greater latitude (range of values from lightest to darkest areas) than digital. In fact, the latitude of film can capture images that exceed the dynamic range of scanners, digital printers, and darkroom-processed paper. In a darkroom that's where burning and dodging come in, and it's where HDR works wonders with scanned negatives used for on-screen display or digital prints. With my admittedly limited skills I've found some carefully-exposed negatives difficult or impossible to render in a digital print without blown-out highlights or lost shadow detail. That's where HDR comes to my rescue.

I can make multiple scans of a negative, usually three to five, and then merge them in HDR to come closer to the scene as I saw it when I took the photo. I'm still a novice at this and need to work more with Photomatix to learn all its bells and whistles, but the technique shows promise.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Dec 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM.