View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 8:10 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
It's sad that the Chief of Police cracked down on jay-walking a while back, but does nothing about motorist that park on cross walks and cross over them when pedestrians have the right of way. Sure, crack down on jay-walkers, but reciprocate on the motorists. I find myself jay-walking in places because its safer, not because I'm too lazy to walk down to the cross walk.

The hit and runs mentioned in this thread are just plain sad. These happened to involve alcohol, but there are plenty of near misses just because too many motorist have no respect for pedestrians.
Personally, I think that cities should begin having midblock crosswalks that are light signaled (yellow flashing for caution and every regular light cycle - in conjunction with the lights at the ends of the blocks, obviously - a red stop light) instead of allowing corner-to-corner crossing. It would be much safer, both by the fact that the pedestrian has to only look two ways instead of four and the fact that lights are installed. Ofcourse this wouldn't work everywhere, but on certain truly pedestrian oriented streets it would be better than the current setup. 6th from Lynn to 35, The Drag, 2nd, Congress, 4th, Red River, 5th from Lynn to Congress, and a single instance on Lamar between 5th and 6th, Dean Keaton, SoCo, Barton Springs, etc.