View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm so glad some of those things didn't get built way back in the 60s and 70s when they were planning to slice up Austin and divide it with highways. The idea of a freeway just south of downtown makes my stomach turn. As I stood there at Auditorium Shores this weekend with downtown as the backdrop for the music, and was easily able to get there by bicycle and find a place to lock up, it made me think of how different things might have been if those plans had turned into reality.

That said, I love what the city has become. I love all the new things that have been built that have made Austin even better. And this is coming from a native who's parents grew up here in the 60s.
I totally agree. And you know what? I don't even think traffic here is really that bad. Locals tend to blow it out of proportion because they don't know what real big city traffic is like.

Anyway, our short but intense rush hour is really a small price to pay for our central areas to have remained as good as they are... and if someone doesn't like it, they can either move closer to their job or try one of the metros with that "we've never met a road we didn't like" attitude... say, Houston or DFW.